Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

fenlason wrote:Classic. Great DC flick if you ignore the sorcerous implications.
Agreed, the supernatural stuff seems shoe horned in. It did occur to me though that the Alien lookalike beastie might not be Satan (as suggested) but a kind of lower ranking monster on its way to becoming something higher, a DC style Dark Lord perhaps? The killings are a ritual to enable it to accomplish this.

Probably not a film you should analyse too deeply though...
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Linden wrote:
Probably not a film you should analyse too deeply though...
Agreed. I totally missed the fact that the cheap-alien-imitation-from-woolworth could be satan. But I love the assault shotguns. This is the closest of pictures I have ever found. Image
fenlason
Prole

Post by fenlason »

Chrome! Nice touch!!
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

fenlason wrote:ps. Lee: your email inbox is full :!: (1/19/08 )
Dealt with! Thanks Norm, that webmail thing doesn't give any warnings or even have a capacity listed anywhere.

Now, back to movies and TV shows :D

The third season of Supernatural starts on UK telly this week. With the BBC's own Torchwood (meh!) and ITV's Primeval having returned last weekend it's a half-decent time to be a geek over here :twisted:
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote: The third season of Supernatural starts on UK telly this week. With the BBC's own Torchwood (meh!) and ITV's Primeval having returned last weekend it's a half-decent time to be a geek over here :twisted:
Primeval's OK but I'm wondering how long they can sustain interest in the monster-of-the-week travelling-through-time plot. Torchwood is half baked shite of the worst kind. Living proof that Russell Davies is massively overrated, has the sort of fat smug face you'd never get tired of punching, and only has one big idea, namely: "It's great when you're not straight. Yeah!" Conceivably so, but do we have to hear it every bloody week? Incidentally, Torchwood might think they look hard swanning around Cardiff with their guns and badly modified Landrovers but if they took a trip down the road they'd last all of about five minutes in Newport. A hard town for hard men, and even harder women.

I dunno why I'm getting worked up about Torchwood I stopped watching after the episode with the girl from My Family.

I've not seen Supernatural. Is that one of those things that's on past my bedtime?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Now what is that? I havn't heard of that Torchthing. I normally look up the stuff you people suggest here. This time I came up with something strange, the bbc says: If you are outside the UK you will not be able to use bbc.co.uk/torchwood for rights reasons.
Strange.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

I strongly recommend giving AVP: Requiem a miss. Calling it Malodorous offal would be a compliment. Worst seven quid I ever spent.
Mister E

Post by Mister E »

I second the sentiment concerning AVP:R, it has to be one of the biggest craps ever taken on film.

-E
Stare not too long in to the abyss...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Linden wrote:I strongly recommend giving AVP: Requiem a miss. Calling it Malodorous offal would be a compliment. Worst seven quid I ever spent.
Mister E wrote:I second the sentiment concerning AVP:R, it has to be one of the biggest craps ever taken on film.

-E
Why the hell am I so late reading this?
I have just watched it and was impressed by the way some one can mess up a film with both: Alien and Predator!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote: I have just watched it and was impressed by the way some one can mess up a film with both: Alien and Predator!
I think it's the inevitble result of letting a pair of jumped up pop video directors make a "proper" film. Probably what really annoyed me the most was how shoddy and mean spirited the writing was. Essentially the script was for a low grade slasher movie.

I'm no great fan of Paul Anderson but the first AVP looks like a work of genius in comparison.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

So, has anyone seen Cloverfield yet? It created a good buzz on some other forums and mailing lists (especially the Delta Green list). I'm still waiting for it to come around here.
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote:So, has anyone seen Cloverfield yet? It created a good buzz on some other forums and mailing lists (especially the Delta Green list). I'm still waiting for it to come around here.
It won't be playing at Malvern :wink: , but I think it might be on at Worcester VUE come next week. Mutterings amongst my gaming pals about going to see it on the Thursday.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

This time I'll wait before I wast my money on crappy movies! You go first and if it is save I'll follow. So far only the crew has compared the film to Alien or Abyss. It looks more like a cheap Blair Witch knockoff to me. Anyways I wait for your report!
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I must admit I am having second thoughts due to Cloverfield being in tha "deliberately made to look like amateur footage" school :?

Must remember to take some headache pills with me :D
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote:I must admit I am having second thoughts due to Cloverfield being in tha "deliberately made to look like amateur footage" school :?
I've got to admit the prospect of shelling out good beer money for something that looks like it was filmed by an inept teenager doesn't appeal. I thought Blair Witch was ok but I'm glad I didn't pay to see it. I actually found one of the fake background documentaries a lot more disturbing, the one with the asylum footage. Very creepy.