Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Re the new Die Hard movie. Star Bruce Willis has admitted that he wasn't very happy with the two previous sequels and it took him a lot of time to be persuaded that this one wouldn't suck. Apparently he's very happy with the result even though, in his own words, "I'm 52 years old and I don't bounce off concrete as well as I used to" :D
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Despite the fact that I have previously recomended Saw I and II I must warn the audience from watching Saw III. Even for free this movie is just embarrassing for the whole crew. The other two parts are somwhat interesting, featuring tests with can only be won by loosing important bodyparts and such (very nice stuff for sadistic refs) but the third one is just a mixtape of the other two and centuries old horror ideas. Okay I know that this is not movies you hate thread but since I suggested the other two I thought it might be interesting.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Scanners has been mentioned before but I watched it on video last night for the first time in years. I was surprised how the Scanner powers were so obviously a major influence on the presentation of empathic abilitites in the DC e.g. Computer empathy (down the phone!), and the ability to cause hallucinations (a successful Project Thought roll with a high power level for Kim Obrist when confronted by the security guard as she's escaping from Consec).

I'd forgotten how good the film was. A bit uneven in places but Cronenberg does a great job of getting thrills from what is essentially people gurning at each other, plus a few car chases and shotgun killings of course.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I agree totally with this 8) Scanners is definitely one of the must-see movies for anyone interested in DC, along with a few others of course. Almost any movie, TV show or book can be used for ideas but Scanners is one of the core movies that simply HAS to be included.

Plus of course it has Michael Ironside being a scary loony bloke :)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote: Plus of course it has Michael Ironside being a scary loony bloke :)
And he's earned a living from it ever since, and fair play to him. He is quite restrained in Scanners though given the role's golden opportunity for scenery chewing.

I was never convinced that he was running what was essentially a
subsidiary of Consec and yet the parent company couldn't find him. Presumably he used a different name to Daryl Revok when fulfilling his MD duties and being invited to the Scanner demo. Still, you'd have thought the drill scar might have given him away.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
fenlason
Prole

Post by fenlason »

District B13.

Not sure about the plot, but the setting is definitely one you can use for an Uncontrolled Zone -- life on the edge.

In the dark but near future, hostile dangerous areas are just walled off with no law inside. Not quite the prisons of the Escape from New York, but life is pretty cheap there.

Cheers
Norm
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Yeah I second that. Walled in. lawless districts. A corrupt regime it's very good.
Paul Mann III
Prole

From Dusk Till Dawn

Post by Paul Mann III »

The classic half-crime drama/ half-horror flick Starring George Clooney and Harvey Keitel. Great inspiration.
"I like President Truman...." -Rorshach-
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Jep, have you seen the sequels? I havne't but I have heard that there are actually three or two out. But I don't know it they are any good.
Paul Mann III
Prole

Post by Paul Mann III »

Zvezda wrote:Jep, have you seen the sequels? I havne't but I have heard that there are actually three or two out. But I don't know it they are any good.
At least two sequels, and they looked so bogus I never saw any of them either.

Pulp Fiction is another great. Just a touch of weird with the green-glowing briefcase. That's how I like to keep my campaigns, just a hint of the strange to keep the players off-balance. I hardly eer actually force them into a Minion encounter.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Yeah I did suspect that maybe I'll see them one day. There are a lot of non-horror films wich work quite well for DC since the game has so many possiblities.
Paul Mann III
Prole

Post by Paul Mann III »

Zvezda wrote:Yeah I did suspect that maybe I'll see them one day. There are a lot of non-horror films wich work quite well for DC since the game has so many possiblities.
Yeah, for sure. My new faorite is making my Government Agency types alot like what you see in "Enemy of the State."
fenlason
Prole

Post by fenlason »

From Dusk Till Dawn is what happens when a Mexican Vampire director has enough money to afford a cast. No plot, passable special effects, just cast.

Now the real reason I like FDTD is Salma Hayek <period>

The sequels are the same, except there is no money for the cast -- and no Hayek either.

But then the real reason to watch Mexican Vampire movies is for the cheeze. The FDTD is no exception. I grew up in a border state and received Mexican television from over the border. Late at night on the weekends, these cheeze ridden gems would be broadcast in Spanish on UHF. Wow! Takes me back. Does anyone still broadcast TV?

In reference to DC, FDTD works quite well as a premise for a side adventure or for a travel adventure. Although, as part of a campaign it also works well. Consider a dark lord with an Empathic Vampire or two. They manipulate locals to run just such a club as the Titty Twister. Fits right in, except for the bizarre transformations...kill off the vampires, the dark lord continues. (The dark lord looks like salma hayek, of course.)

Norm
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Here's some links to trailers for Split Second, a DC style Rutger Hauer flick from the early 1990s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNQTVY0WQVM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105459/tra ... E11246-310

Some major plot holes but it's good fun and its setting of a flooded Britain circa 2008 seems quite prophetic.

"Paranoid people with guns are a menace to society."

Sound like anyone you know?
fenlason
Prole

Post by fenlason »

Classic. Great DC flick if you ignore the sorcerous implications. It has one of my all-time favorite quotes.

"Bigger guns. We need bigger fxxxxxx guns."

Norm

ps. Lee: your email inbox is full :!: (1/19/08 )