Printable Guns

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

Printable Guns

Post by Zvezda »

Though they are still far from production, the idea is interesting. Have a look atprintable guns.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Re: Printable Guns

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:Though they are still far from production, the idea is interesting. Have a look atprintable guns.

I've been reading about this 3D printing thing but am mystified as to how it works. What is the raw material (obviously not paper but analogous to it?). How do you incorporate things like moving parts? Could it be a piece of Dark Tek?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Linden wrote:I've been reading about this 3D printing thing but am mystified as to how it works. What is the raw material (obviously not paper but analogous to it?). How do you incorporate things like moving parts? Could it be a piece of Dark Tek?

There's a basic explanation of the techniques used on Wikipedia. As for moving parts, you still have to assemble mechanisms.

Dark Tek? Not unless the materials used in the process are organic :twisted: Seriously, I could imagine advanced Darklings using the process to create small items, weapons casings for example.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Here's a more sensationalist take on the story from the Telegraph. WikiWeapon project currently stalled due to having its printer repossessed. Doh! Perhaps a little more circumspection next time Mr Wilson.

The usual not-rights and wrong 'uns in the comments section although one or two do make the salient point that people in various parts of the world have been knocking out serviceable firearms from their sheds for quite a while now.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Mr Wilson up to his old tricks again. There's been some speculation that the gun in the video is a fake, but the US authorities are sufficiently concerned that they've moved to shut down the original website containing the blueprints.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Well, these problems will not arise in the near future. 3D Printers are very uncommon and so the public is safe.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Wasn't exactly surprised to learn that the Liberator can be just as dangerous to its user as to its intended target.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Wow, the video is impressing. I have no ideas if one can use different materials in 3d printers that would be interesting. But this looks really dangerous.
Руки Вверх!
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

At the moment the 3D printers are still very basic but I think even when they get more sophisticated they will need to use something like nano-technology to be able to "print" metals - and you really need metal to make the barrel and firing chamber of any type of firearm you might want to make, the video shows what happens when you don't! :shock:
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...