Now Sports...

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

Now Sports...

Post by Zvezda »

What do you think about Sports in DC? I have been thinking for a while about this topic and three major (hell I never know when to write major and mayor or life and live! :evil: ) topics have evolved.

Doping: Gentlemen, your thoughts on drugs in the world of sports!
In my opinion most drugs should be legal in DC. It would be a lot easier to sell them to the average gym-goer. Advertisement would be easier and even today everybody knows that there is no sport without drugs anymore. I am not sure about this however. Legalizing doping has some considerable drawbacks. It would make the drugs cheaper. A lot of money which goes into the drug-tests will be lost and so on.

Cyberware: In case you use cyberware in your campaign, what about cyberware in sports? Is that stuff already that available that it has its own league? Is it secretly used to bypass doping tests? Is it legal to compete with cybernetic enhancements?

Games: Well, the core books already say, that games are getting bloodier. Athletes will get a lot less money than today’s association footballers (the sport played with the foot). This looks like the classic 80's dystopian vision to me. I have serious doubts that on the big level sports would change that much. I mean in Europe there is no competition to Football. Nothing comes even close. Rugby probably in the UK, Ireland and France and that's about it. In our campaign mainstream sports have not changed that much. Premier league matches are too expensive for the average mike to watch in the stadium so there is a rise in the audience of third and even lower division matches, along with the return of hooliganism. Other than that only the illegal or sub cultural world of sports has changed a lot. Fighting matches with few or no rules, illegal street races with modified cars and motorbikes and gladiator style fights to the death. What do you think? Is it really likely that the world of mainstream sports will change and people will watch games like rollerball with the same enthusiasm as football?

And finally what about empathy in sports? Dark minions and plot hooks? Empathy seems like a very comfortable way to increase the chances in sports. What about dark minions who pose as humans who participate in sports? One of the easiest scenarios would be a "Fight Club" like setting were humans would volunteer to fight minions in abandoned warehouses and the audience would make their bets. Mutilated but cleaned bodies of athletes and outlaws popping up all over the city could get the pcs involved...
Last edited by Zvezda on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Re: Now Sports...

Post by Linden »

Lot to think about there Zvezda, but I'd just like to say I really love the Fight Club idea. I've heard of men fighting dogs (and seem to recall a scene in "Bronson" where he takes on a couple of Rotweillers) so fighting it out with monsters would seem to be the next logical step. Ravagers would make good no holds barred scrappers, as long as they could be dissuaded from eating the opposition.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

The first question here would be, do the minions participate voluntary too? There are some which are just "monsters" like the Barghest who will just kill. But the Ravagers on the other hand would very well know what they are doing.
Руки Вверх!
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I'm sure that Darklings and Igors would be a part of this. Also, there are Darklings that empathically feed off emotions so I would think they would love to be in the crowd, if not a part of the teams that are playing 8)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"