One of my all time favourite RPG’s, but …

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: One of my all time favourite RPG’s, but …

Post by Morthrai »

Pure Mongrel wrote:Had a personal conspiracy of my own ... not long after signing up to this forum my PC died!

Damn, that's not so good. Technology stagnation maybe? 8)

Pure Mongrel wrote:May be that is the issue I have with the DC background. It is kind of "one size fits all" ... and a world made up of so many different cultures, belief systems, norms, etc. can't be painted with the same brush.

Maybe we need to work on a DC world, "World Book" ;)

Admittedly it's not something we had thought of to add to DCIII, I would rather not "lay down the law" but if people want it then we ought to at least consider it. If not for publication, perhaps as an online fan resource? Personally I enjoy seeing what other people do with that part of the game.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Pure Mongrel wrote:May be that is the issue I have with the DC background. It is kind of "one size fits all" ... and a world made up of so many different cultures, belief systems, norms, etc. can't be painted with the same brush.

I agree with the latter part of your post...but I don't think Dark Conspiracy falls into that trap. The specific background detail in the original rulebook almost entirely relates to N.America. GMs wanting to set campaigns elsewhere are free (if not compelled) to work out their own background for those places.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

I agree, the megacorpstaking overs services/ limiting government can be made to fit any intact country. For those like the UK, let's use the elven legends, alot of the demon ground is limited to the areas immediately around the gates. Use the corperate building model and have a few disappearances that an overworked/underfunded police would attribute to mundane causes.
Pure Mongrel

Post by Pure Mongrel »

Morthrai wrote: Admittedly it's not something we had thought of to add to DCIII, I would rather not "lay down the law" but if people want it then we ought to at least consider it. If not for publication, perhaps as an online fan resource? Personally I enjoy seeing what other people do with that part of the game.
Does not need to be an official thing. Could be just a project we work on here, etc.

The world, any world, is a diverse place. How America fell into decay, probably did not happen every where. As one Super Power falls, other states rush to fill the vacuum. Europe may now be a new Super Power? China? Australia being an island continent may have closed her borders? Japan, so devastated by natural disaster and a crippled economy may have been bought lock stock an barrel by a Mega Corp and is now an island Gnome paradise (Well at least that's how it looks on the outside ;) ) ... the possibilities are endless.
  • "When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty!"
Tom B

Post by Tom B »

I adapted the DC setting to my own purposes, which was a sf campaign set about 300 years in the future. No FTL, so the setting is entirely within the solar system. A number of DC elements exist, but have manifested very gradually over centuries. Due to a massive terrorist act (sabotage to a beanstalk), Earth has suffered cataclysmic ecological damage, and much of the population has left, removing Earth from the center of power for the solar system. Still a powerful player, though.

Most of my campaign revolves around the rest of the solar system (Luna, Mars, Jovian system, Belters, the hundreds of independent (largely O'Neill style) orbiting habitats and freight transport to scientific outposts at Saturn and beyond.) However, Earth hasn't been forgotten, and in the wilderness areas far from the skeletal remains of abandoned cities, things are lurking in the darkness...and the world is coming to resemble that of the DC setting as described. With most of the population gone, there are many large areas that have been abandoned. Not to mention that some of the more isolated O'Neills have become rather...strange...
Pure Mongrel

Post by Pure Mongrel »

Tom B wrote:I adapted the DC setting to my own purposes, which was a sf campaign set about 300 years in the future. No FTL, so the setting is entirely within the solar system. A number of DC elements exist, but have manifested very gradually over centuries. Due to a massive terrorist act (sabotage to a beanstalk), Earth has suffered cataclysmic ecological damage, and much of the population has left, removing Earth from the center of power for the solar system. Still a powerful player, though.

Most of my campaign revolves around the rest of the solar system (Luna, Mars, Jovian system, Belters, the hundreds of independent (largely O'Neill style) orbiting habitats and freight transport to scientific outposts at Saturn and beyond.) However, Earth hasn't been forgotten, and in the wilderness areas far from the skeletal remains of abandoned cities, things are lurking in the darkness...and the world is coming to resemble that of the DC setting as described. With most of the population gone, there are many large areas that have been abandoned. Not to mention that some of the more isolated O'Neills have become rather...strange...
I like the sound of this setting. Have you added Traveller material to the game?
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Pure Mongrel wrote:
I like the sound of this setting. Have you added Traveller material to the game?

Here's someone who has. Mike Marchi, latterly of this parish (well Demonground anyway).
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Tom B

Post by Tom B »

Pure Mongrel wrote:I like the sound of this setting. Have you added Traveller material to the game?
No, actually. I played in a short Traveler campaign once, but since I never ran it I never bought any of the books. Primary inspirations came from:

Dark Conspiracy
the Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson
Schismatrix by Bruce Sterling
the GURPS Terradyne supplement
Poltergeist: The Legacy television series
the original CORPS RPG setting
Jovian Chronicles RPG
Over the Edge RPG
elements from the Warhammer 40k setting and the movie Event Horizon (relating to FTL travel)
elements from the Dark Space Rolemaster supplement
elements from Call of Cthulhu and Delta Green

Also, who knows how many other sources contributed. The above were ones I was aware of and deliberately included elements from. However, it probably makes it sounds like there's more there than I've actual put down in writing. Most of it went into the concept I work from, all bouncing around in my head. It serves to give me a comfortable grasp of the setting so that if I'm asked any question about it I can give a consistent answer. I know the setting, even if I don't have a 50 page write-up.

Dark Conspiracy was at the heart of the concept though, and everything else built from that.
Pure Mongrel

Post by Pure Mongrel »

Thanks for the link and the info guys.

My thoughts just went off in 100 different directions at once! :mrgreen:
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Pure Mongrel wrote:Thanks for the link and the info guys.

My thoughts just went off in 100 different directions at once!
:mrgreen:
Well that's why we're here, to share ideas and sound out any thoughts we might have. It's good to see that you're finding the forum useful :D
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
manodogs

Post by manodogs »

The more sophisticated industrial complexes and factories now make "hi-tek" -- mostly Bots, computers, Teleplexes, and the like; all the pedestrian, everyday "lo-tek" was shipped out of country, mostly to Mexico, where their factories were very out-of-date. That's the reason radios went back to using vacuum tubes instead of transistors (an example someone posted): The factories where radios are now manufactured were never equipped for anything other than vacuum tube technology. This is also why telephones are those old, heavy, box-like models with rotary dial pads, and so on.

The other half of it is also what someone posted: Style. The wealthy indulge this lo-tek ironically, while it is all the masses can afford. And all fashion and art draws from what is prevalent and current, so even "new" technology is going to incorporate those shapes, lines, and forms.

Hope this helps!
- [url=http://www.theweirding.net/RPG/DC/]ManoDogs[/url]
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Also a company made transisters adapters to replace vacuum tubes for ham radio operaters that could no longer find tubes for rebuilt equipment. The wealthy could have very hitek devices that look lotek.
manodogs

Post by manodogs »

Metrodome is a badass setting for Dark Conspiracy. It's completely open-ended, excepting what I have already written for it and am working on (which is already posted, just not hotlinked). There are several people here who are familiar with it; it was online on GeoCIties for years before I took it to The Weirding.

You're welcome to do whatever you like with it! I just appreciate a link back to the site, if, and when, you can, and for you to keep what is written somewhat... sacrosanct. ONLY to the extent that it can be used with the corebooks and Mike Marchi's site(s). That way, everybody can have a great time with all of it without being out hundreds of dollars for all the supporting materials.

I apologize that it's all a mess, but I was treated kinda ugly by some people and turned my attentions elsewhere (CHiLL). The truth is that you can hit "View Source" on your browser on any page or check The Wording and you'll find that you can directly link to everything -- every career, skill, neighborhood, and so on -- individually. Almost everything on The Weirding has an anchor link for cross-referencing.

This is all so we can all have a good time with this game! But I have to have advertisements because they bring in all of about... just enough to cover the literal costs of the site -- plus a shit-ton of hookers and cocaine. Imagine tighty-whiteys made of cocaine -- made of Goddamn cocaine! -- that's how I live. I have a Corvette made out of Goddamn cocaine, dude.

You're welcome to link to everything on my site and use it all as creatively as you can! Just share it with me by linking back to me. And keep the Forums alive!

Cuz I need cocaine.
manodogs

Post by manodogs »

Also, incorporate Twilight 2000-2013 and eliminate Europe.

(A mountain! SEND MORE MONEY!)
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Manodogs, I just noticed on The Wierding's TOS page that rights and information cannot be found for Dark Conspiracy. Far Future Enterprises (FFE) holds the licence, they have a PDF of their terms of 'fair use'. While it specifically mentions Traveller, it is considered to be appropriate for all the games licences held by FFE.
FFE's fair use policy pdf
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...