Light Ones

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Mister E

Light Ones

Post by Mister E »

Has anyone ever intorduced an opposing supernatural force to the Dark Ones? In my games I always hinted at the possiblity of an opposing force that represented Order, they were generally refered to as the Light Ones. While I never envisioned them and being so simple as god and evil, I did like the idea of a massive war between the forces of order and chaos.

-E
Stare not too long in to the abyss...
Linden
Darkling

Re: Light Ones

Post by Linden »

I've got to admit I'm not keen on the idea. It sounds a bit like the "War in Heaven" concept introduced into the Cthulhu mythos by August Derleth. Having a band of supernatural opponents to the Dark Ones for me dilutes some of the horror of the PCs being on their own against the encroaching evil. There's too much potential for scenarios to end with a dea ex machina: The Light Ones turning up like the cavalry to save the day. I'm a firm believer in characters succeeding or failing by their own actions and decisions.

That said, there's no reason why there couldn't be alien/extra-dimensional races uncorrupted by the Dark Ones. The Obsidian People in the Proto-Dimensions sourcebook spring to mind. Their description hints that they're an independent race and are content doing their own thing. They probably still don't like being bothered by pesky humans though...
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

The closest thing I've ever had in one of my campaigns was kind of an interdimensional support network of other minion hunters from various realities and proto-dimensions. They aren't frequent, but my PCs have made use of the occasional safe house or equipment cache.
"All right, Phase 6, Bad guys go first..."
Antenna

Post by Antenna »

Well, actually I introduced something like this into my campaign... An Ancient God that man said at stoneage that he was the keeper of the moon. Well, this is almost like a dark minion but the axis from chaos is set to order etc. And actually are like a dark minion but have other rules to let man follow. To really put it in a context there are a poem about organtransplantation in Sweden that ends like this more or less truley translated. ...and give my sins to the Devil and my soul to God. That probably mean in my world that the "light ones" want somethign else from us instead of the dark ones want. But this is only what I thought up.

Antenna
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
Mister E

Post by Mister E »

Antenna, the way you played it sounds like what I had in mind. A no less threatening force, just toally different in tatics and goals.
Stare not too long in to the abyss...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Mister E wrote:Antenna, the way you played it sounds like what I had in mind. A no less threatening force, just toally different in tatics and goals.
I'm not in favour of the Order vs Chaos idea as I think it's been done to death by Michael Moorcock, Dungeons and Dragons and even Babylon 5. What does occur to me is that a lot of the Dark Ones aren't too keen on each other e.g. the two who occupy the opposite ends of the Plaguelands. You could make something out of the bitter rivalry between various entities.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Ivan Dobski wrote:What does occur to me is that a lot of the Dark Ones aren't too keen on each other e.g. the two who occupy the opposite ends of the Plaguelands. You could make something out of the bitter rivalry between various entities.
I seem to recall that Mike Stackpole made use of the 'enemy of my enemy is not my friend' thing in the old Dark Conspiracy novels. Sounds good to me :twisted:
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I am a big fan of evil against even more evil (sometimes even pretending to be good) too! Sometimes players love the idea of having a divine force supporting them. Horror is the bigger if they realise that they where supporting a even sinister fores. It should not be used to often however. What I always liked about DC is that there is no such thing as a great plan behind everything.
Fiannaidhe

Post by Fiannaidhe »

Zvezda wrote: What I always liked about DC is that there is no such thing as a great plan behind everything.
...which is kind of an oxymoron, as the name of the game is " Dark Conspiracy", Dark meaning the Darklings, and Conspiracey meaning some one is working with someone else. hehe :lol:
Bob
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Yep, that's true. But what exactly happens is up to the GMl rather then being given by the backgroun story.