Empathic Balance?

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Braxen

Empathic Balance?

Post by Braxen »

I have been doing some work on a new campaign recently and it occured to me the imbalance of abilities as listed in the Empathic Sourcebook. By far and away Mystics have the most abilities while those who use Sorcery appear to have the weakest abilities.

I understand the different nuances between the different disciplines. It just seems to me that the one discipline that most cultist or "magic-like" bad guys have provides them with no offensive teeth. I have had to create several abilities to make a sorceror more of a credible threat in the past.

The addition of Empathy is one of the things that I have always loved about DC. This has been the one thing that seperated it from Twilight 2k ( I am gonna miss those nice gun book supplements :cry: ) and helped me to create a real creepy feeling for the game :) .

Just some random thoughts as I eagerly await the released of the new edition :D
"Hey guys did you hear that scraping sound? guys? GUYS?!"

Braxen
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I never gave a thought about that. I used (almost) all abilitys for all ways. Just the aproach to each 'spell' is diferent the way we play it.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I think I can understand where Braxen is coming from, but I think it's safe to say that any imbalance between the four Empathic Philosophies it will be worked out in the new version. Something else for us to put on our To-Do List :D
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Braxen

Post by Braxen »

Morthrai wrote:I think I can understand where Braxen is coming from, but I think it's safe to say that any imbalance between the four Empathic Philosophies it will be worked out in the new version. Something else for us to put on our To-Do List :D
I figured that to be the case :D . For me the more depth and detail that can accompany the disciplines would make for a better understanding of how they function and their associated effects.

Perhaps even a slight expansion of the empathic abilities would be worth looking at also. I keep reminding myself that too much of a good thing would throw game balance out of whack.
"Hey guys did you hear that scraping sound? guys? GUYS?!"

Braxen
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

I would have to disagree with the statement that Sorcerers have no offensive teeth. With some clever application the Change Environment ability allows the user to simulate Fireballs, lightning bolts, fog, ice storms, reversed gravity fields, etc. The only real limit is the skill level of the user and how much play the GM lets them have.
"All right, Phase 6, Bad guys go first..."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

That's true, change environemt is a pretty deadly skill if used the right way.
Fiannaidhe

Post by Fiannaidhe »

And lets not forget how much a dimensional portal opening beneath you, or one opening and closing on you can ruin your day.*

*=My first DC Game Master allowed the Sorcerers to open and close portals almost instantaneosly. He was a good GM; he'd let us come up with tricks and stunts, then have the DarkMinions use them on us.
Bob
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Hell, that is truely evil. I never have done that.... :twisted: