Biological computer born

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Biological computer born

Post by ReHerakhte »

A computer made of neurons taken from leeches has been created by US scientists. At the moment, the device can perform simple sums - the team calls the novel calculator the "leech-ulator".

But their aim is to devise a new generation of fast and flexible computers that can work out for themselves how to solve a problem, rather than having to be told exactly what to do.

Full article here http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/358822.stm

Hmm, seems like what GDW put out as fantasy is now becoming reality - although not with sliced up pieces of human brain, which must be nice for all those people worried about having their brains sliced open :twisted:
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Re: Biological computer born

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:

Hmm, seems like what GDW put out as fantasy is now becoming reality - although not with sliced up pieces of human brain, which must be nice for all those people worried about having their brains sliced open :twisted:
I dunno Kevin, it depends what the next generation models are going to be powered by. Not a lot of computing power in a leech I'd have thought.:wink:
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Just had a look at the article:

"We want to be able to integrate robotics, electronics and these type of computers so that we can create more sentient robots," he says.

Mechaniaca here we come! :roll:
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

:D Read your first comment and was glad I didn't have a mouthful of food or drink - I laughed loud enough to make the cat look at me as if I was mad (which is entirely possible I suppose...)

And speaking of Mechaniaca, that reminds me of your Robot Wars! article Linden. I'm hoping to use it in my next campaign, particularly now I can throw this news story at the Players :twisted:

Cheers,
Kevin
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote: And speaking of Mechaniaca, that reminds me of your Robot Wars! article Linden. I'm hoping to use it in my next campaign, particularly now I can throw this news story at the Players :twisted:
Let me know how it goes. Not played it myself yet. :roll:
alexisR

Post by alexisR »

Human and computer hybrids have always been a theoretical possibility, but not an actual likelihood. Now, two new developments bring biological computing closer than ever. The two brand new improvements in creating human-computer hybrids are getting this closer. Biological transistors and skin-based touchpads have now been developed and even tested. These developments and others have been making the possibility of biologically compatible computers more likely. Medical science is especially interested in the possibility, as programmable, biologically neutral computers would be able to improve diagnostics. Medical science is not the only use for these developments, but it is sure to be one of the first uses. Truly usable, commercial biological computers are likely to be years, if not decades away. These developments, however, are two major steps toward the reality.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Good find there alexisR, and welcome! :)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"