Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Welcome on board. I must have a look on these two films. I have never heard anything about them. I must say however that I don't like hostel at all. 8)
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:Welcome on board. I must have a look on these two films. I have never heard anything about them.
I've seen them, both good fun. The Hidden is very DC. Deep Rising owes a fair bit to Lovecraft in terms of its monster but is definitely an action movie so on balance more DC than CoC.

Not seen Hostel but I'm not too keen on the current wave of nasty (I believe the expression might be "grindcore") horror. The Dark Elf angle sounds plausible though.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

If your dark elves are a band of retards breaking for innocent children, playing in the streets...than maybe...
The biggest problem is that Hostel that is sacrifices the story for some bad special effects. All characters appearing in the movie have an INT rating below 2 while the average EDU seems to be 3 or lower. The director gives the impression to have a very bad opinion of Americans. In his movie they all don’t appear to know that there has not been a war in Slovakia since WWII. But the worst thing is that the movie suffers form the failure to create a sense of dread. All I got was bored and I somewhat annoyed that some characters survived. the best way however to find out whether you like the movie or not is...see it. :?
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Gorrammit! :?

Completely forgot about Deep Rising. My geek fu is weak :shock:
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote:Gorrammit! :?

Completely forgot about Deep Rising. My geek fu is weak :shock:
Treat Williams a very underrated actor. Incredible in Prince of the City but has never quite reached those heights since, although he was memorable in Things to Do in Denver... I suspect his career hasn't been helped by having a rather silly first name.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
The Cooler King

Post by The Cooler King »

Zvezda wrote:Welcome on board. I must have a look on these two films. I have never heard anything about them. I must say however that I don't like hostel at all. 8)
Both of them are worth a look. Deep Rising is especially notable, not only for the rotary gatling assault rifles, but also for the really neat way it brings together various different groups and individuals, each with their own goals and plans.
"I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice."

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
The Cooler King

Post by The Cooler King »

Zvezda wrote:If your dark elves are a band of retards breaking for innocent children, playing in the streets...than maybe...
The biggest problem is that Hostel that is sacrifices the story for some bad special effects. All characters appearing in the movie have an INT rating below 2 while the average EDU seems to be 3 or lower. The director gives the impression to have a very bad opinion of Americans. In his movie they all don’t appear to know that there has not been a war in Slovakia since WWII. But the worst thing is that the movie suffers form the failure to create a sense of dread. All I got was bored and I somewhat annoyed that some characters survived. the best way however to find out whether you like the movie or not is...see it. :?

With the Dark Elf connection, I generally meant the people behind the torture chambers, not the actual torturers and guards (thralls of various Dark Minions, I suppose). The real backers would just sit back and watch the carnage gleefully.

As for the 'bad American' impression, apparently that was intentional. According to the director, they were meant to show how little Americans know of the outside world. If they had just a little more knowledge, perhaps they wouldn't have fallen victim, I suppose.
"I don't like being a bastard, but they leave me no choice."

-Marshal Law, "The Hateful Dead"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Both good points! So I have to agree that it can be a source for DC. I'll have to see the other two.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I have recently seen the movie Severance, which can be used as inspiration for DC. Though there is nothing real supernatural in the movie the conspiracy stories are somewhat useful.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:I have recently seen the movie Severance, which can be used as inspiration for DC. Though there is nothing real supernatural in the movie the conspiracy stories are somewhat useful.
A mate of mine recommended it, although I've never got round to seeing it. Think it must be straight to DVD, or limited cinema run?
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Yep, I guess so. I havn't realised it beeing played in the movies. But I second his recomendation. It is quite good, though it must be said that it actually is some kind of comedy I suppose. Or a mix of splatter and comedy. But by taking it self not that serious it becomes a lot more belivable than 'hostel' or similar movies.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Watched The Bunker the other night. Not the best film ever made but certainly not the worst. The WW2 setting obviously isn't appropriate to DC but it occurred to me that the presence in the plague pit could be a Haunt or a Reaver. Both creatures have extensive empathic powers which could be used to compel the soldiers to engage in the kind of aberrant behaviour we see in the film.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

If you liked that one I recomend 'Deathwatch' not too DC but nice.
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

Just saw 'Live Free or Die Hard'. Totally awesome action flick, with heavy conspiracy overtones. Excellent layout of what a small group of dedicated hackers could do to a large organization.
"All right, Phase 6, Bad guys go first..."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

anthraxus wrote:Just saw 'Live Free or Die Hard'. Totally awesome action flick, with heavy conspiracy overtones. Excellent layout of what a small group of dedicated hackers could do to a large organization.
I wasn't too interested in seeing it but now that you say it is good...maybe.

I just happend to see: Washingtonians by Peter Medak it is one of the Masters of Horror things...despite being somewhat coldwarish I really did enjoy the conspiracy and coverup...