New Dark Minion

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Morthrai
Site Admin

New Dark Minion

Post by Morthrai »

Hi all. I am posting this here for those of you who are not on the Dark Conspiracy email list, or prefer to use this forum rather than emails. Let me know what you think of this Minion that I literally dreamed up last week :twisted: Oh, and if anyone can think of a better name I will award them 10 Cool Points!

Trench Avenger

Strength: 5 Education: 1 Move: 20/40
Constitution: 3 Charisma: 4 Skill/Damage: 3/2d6
Agility: 5 Empathy: 1 Hits: 20*
Intelligence: 2 Initiative: 4 #Appear: 1d6
*Double damage from fire, see below.

A hideous sight to behold, these creatures look at first to be nothing more than bundles of torn and bloody rags bound around with old rusted barbed wire. It is when they make their attack that their true nature is revealed; the “bundles” roll towards their chosen victim at speed. As they reach melee range the barbed wire rears up into the form of a human skeleton, with the tattered rags covering the chest and abdomen in a semblance of strips of torn skin.

To attack they simply use their “hands” as whips, raking the target with strands of razor-sharp barbed wire covered with a red substance that resembles fresh human blood. This red gloop is actually the animating substance that gives them a semblance of life. If they are attacked with fire they take double damage, as the gloop dries out quickly when exposed to high levels of heat. Also, due to their physical form not being completely solid it is one Difficulty level higher to hit them with firearms. Melee weapons work as normal however.

It is believed that these creatures first came into existence during the late 1990s when a chemical lab in northeastern France suffered a serious leak, and an experimental compound leeched into the soil. After several months percolating through the ground it mixed with the residue left over from the fierce fighting that had raged through the area during World War One. Thus, they were born. Nobody knows for certain exactly how the process worked, or if Darklings were involved in the process. What is certain is that these things exist and are spreading slowly across Europe.

Some sources in the empathic underground are of the opinion that the unbelievable amount of human suffering that occurred in the area during wartime has left an indelible empathic scar in the very Earth. To put it another way, the residue mentioned previously is not just chemical in origin. These sources believe that these monsters are motivated by the vengeful spirits of those who were “shot at dawn” (the term used by the British military for the execution of soldiers found guilty of cowardice).
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Grrr, evil. I like them. Have you been to France? I have seen trenches there wich have collapsed due to the bad weather withthe baionnettes of the soldiers which where burried alive still sticking out of thier graves. Very spooky.
The first word that came to my mind was 'Deathwatch' since they remind me of the movie. May be that can be used as name. Other than that WWI slang might be useful: Greyback, Poilu, Frontschwein or even Tommy Atkins. I don't like the 'avanger' in the name. Trench is not too bad.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Really good. I'm not a fan of endless churning out of monsters a la D&D manuals, but this goes to show that a well thought out new minion is always worthwhile.

I can see there's been a fair amount of discussion about this on the Yahoo group and following on from one of the suggestions there I'd suggest Toxic Tommy. Or possibly Wire Ghost. Not sold on Razor Kin. Sorry mate. :wink:

I like the two possible explanations for their origin although given the vast amount of pointless deaths in WW1 the monsters needn't just be the spirits of those unfairly shot at dawn. Plenty of other soldiers whose lives were tragically wasted would have good cause to be vengeful as well. A case of the lions returning to exact retribution on the donkeys maybe?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

In CoC it would certainly be 'Trench Terror'. I would also like to point out that I agree with Linden on the good minions issue.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Don't know if anyone's suggested it already but how about Trench Ghost? It gives an indication of the creature's origin while being slightly misleading about its true nature.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Fiannaidhe

Post by Fiannaidhe »

How about " Tumbling Terror"; From the description of it's method of attack it tumbles towards it prey. If any normal joes survived the attack to tell others that's exactly how they'd tell it to their pals.

"The thing tumbled like a tumbleweed right at us then reared up into a Humanoid terror and strated ripping us to shreds!"

OR

They look like rags, roll across the ground towards prey, and rip them to shreds with barbwire razor hands. I give you: RAZOR RAGS / ROLLING RAZOR RAGS

My humble suggestions. :)
Bob