Unknown Armies

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Linden
Darkling

Unknown Armies

Post by Linden »

Bundle of Holding currently doing the game and a shed load of supplements. I think the system is labelled "BRP Plus"? Never played it myself but was sufficiently tempted to pile in - would like to run another horror game at some point but want to do something different from Cthulhu or Dark Conspiracy.

Anyone on the board got experience of UA?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Re: Unknown Armies

Post by ReHerakhte »

I bought UA many years ago as a resource to mine for DarkCon but never actually played it. I do remember liking the basic premise quite a lot although I have to cough up to the fact that my main reason for buying it was that it was created by John Tynes and Greg Stolze.
Without dragging the book out, I seem to recall that it used a percentile system but I'm not familiar with the BRP rules so I don't know if it originally used BRP or if it was republished with BRP as an alternate rules set.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

UA has a percentile system that works like this:

"Unknown Armies uses a percentile dice system where checks are made by rolling two 10-sided dice, with one representing the "tens" and the other representing the "singles" digit (d100 for short). Players aim to roll under their appropriate skill in order to pass their skill test. However, it is unlike standard systems in that the higher the roll obtained the better the result (while still keeping under the skill level)."
-Wikipedia.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:29 am I bought UA many years ago as a resource to mine for DarkCon but never actually played it.
Someone on the new UK roleplayers forum said something very similar. I am thinking of running UA once I finish my current 2300AD campaign but even if I don't I suspect I'll make use of the scenario books.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."