All a bit quiet here...

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: All a bit quiet here...

Post by Morthrai »

ReHerakhte wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 am ...I believe you're referring to licensing for images yes? We could probably collect enough license-free pictures but that would require more time.
Actually I was referring to the text as well, but we wrote it so I guess it's ours ;) As for images I have quite a few of the items in the book, though it seems nigh-impossible to find one for the ARPAD launcher.
ReHerakhte wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:25 am Having said that, I have no problem with releasing it as a freebie so that we don't have to bother with all the licensing issues.
Cool, though maybe we could put it up as pay what you want - I'll look into it.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

It would compliment the "Gear Up" book, which has everything else in it.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

The text was written by us in our own words rather than copying someone else's blurb so as far as I understand it, there's no licence/copyright issue to worry about.
Regarding images, yes I would certainly rather have the images than not have them. I think we can get a bit of leeway with the Arpad because from what I remember the last time it appeared in anything, the same images were used across all media (implying that it's "public") and even then, those images are from, what, it must be forty years ago by now!
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Good! And if something is worked out with FFE, I'd pay for an updated weapons book. Perhaps with more accessories added. It could be useful with all GDW products I own.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

We concentrated on new weapons rather than accessories but that is a field that I have definitely wanted to add/expand. I don't particularly agree with ther way laser aimers are depicted in the game for example and there needs to be a treatment for red dot etc. etc. sights (and I also disagree with the grenade explosion radius for grenade launcher rounds but that's a discussion for another time) but we were restrained by the mechanics already in place and kept everything inline with what was already known from the earlier books and for 3rd ed.

I'd love to see some mechanics for cusomizing weapons, vehicles and so on along the lines of how Cyberpunk 2020, ShadowRun and the like did and I've even made some small attempts at doing so. However I've got the impression that that sort of thing appeals to a small segment of the gaming population. Zvezda and I worked on some ammunition variation that got published in an issue of ProtoDimensions ezine and the booklet Lee and I wrote has some new 40mm (low pressure) grenades that I had written up for my own game.

Lee, the more I think on our booklet, the more convinced I am we should publish it. If it's through FFE that would be great but if not, we can release it as a freebie/pay-what-you-want/etc. etc.

It's whether I win...
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Lee I have a very small number of images of the Arpad 600 and they are the only ones I recall ever seeing.
Considering that everyone seems to use the same images one could be forgiven for thinking that they are licence-free particularly because they are 30-40 years old but in regard to a booklet that may be sold for profit, it gets a little murky...

Anyway, there are a few of these images still circulating on the net: -
https://tcatmon.com/wiki/ARPAD-600

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Okay then, I'll start layout as soon as Dark Times 03 is ready to go 8)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

ReHerakhte wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:17 am We concentrated on new weapons rather than accessories but that is a field that I have definitely wanted to add/expand. I don't particularly agree with ther way laser aimers are depicted in the game for example and there needs to be a treatment for red dot etc. etc. sights (and I also disagree with the grenade explosion radius for grenade launcher rounds but that's a discussion for another time) but we were restrained by the mechanics already in place and kept everything inline with what was already known from the earlier books and for 3rd ed.

I'd love to see some mechanics for cusomizing weapons, vehicles and so on along the lines of how Cyberpunk 2020, ShadowRun and the like did and I've even made some small attempts at doing so. However I've got the impression that that sort of thing appeals to a small segment of the gaming population. Zvezda and I worked on some ammunition variation that got published in an issue of ProtoDimensions ezine and the booklet Lee and I wrote has some new 40mm (low pressure) grenades that I had written up for my own game.

Lee, the more I think on our booklet, the more convinced I am we should publish it. If it's through FFE that would be great but if not, we can release it as a freebie/pay-what-you-want/etc. etc.
I have used your stuff, the over-pressure inspired me to add the lighter weight for higher velocity ammunition in my game. i.e. 185GR@1050fps .45ACP load.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Thanks for the compliment Phulish :D
However Zvezda deserves the credit for the ammunition in PD#8 as he did the technical work for those variants. I wrote the introduction and supplied some other info, game mechanics or fact-checking details and so on.

One of the things that has irked me with smallarms is the pistols, i.e. the complete lack of attention to barrel length. A friend from the US wrote up a lot of smallarms many years ago but consistently had the exact same range for a pistol regardless of whether it was a compact, full size, target-competition or long-slide version.

Another factor that needs to be addressed in my opinion, is sound suppressors.
Typical game treatment is for them to reduce range as well as damage and I do actually see this as a "desirable" thing in some cases - if the Players can get more effective firearms that are also sound suppressed, it's a sure bet that they're going to take them.
However it's been shown in some informal tests that a suppressor can slightly increase range as it allows a less dramatic loss of pressure at the muzzle. (There's some YouTube vids of people shooting at long-range targets with suppressed and non-suppressed rifles although I can't recall the vids at this moment).

These are the kinds of things I've been toying with - although I need to stop that and finish my next Australia article for The Dark Times haha :roll:

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

ReHerakhte wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:54 am Thanks for the compliment Phulish :D
However Zvezda deserves the credit for the ammunition in PD#8 as he did the technical work for those variants. I wrote the introduction and supplied some other info, game mechanics or fact-checking details and so on.

One of the things that has irked me with smallarms is the pistols, i.e. the complete lack of attention to barrel length. A friend from the US wrote up a lot of smallarms many years ago but consistently had the exact same range for a pistol regardless of whether it was a compact, full size, target-competition or long-slide version.

Another factor that needs to be addressed in my opinion, is sound suppressors.
Typical game treatment is for them to reduce range as well as damage and I do actually see this as a "desirable" thing in some cases - if the Players can get more effective firearms that are also sound suppressed, it's a sure bet that they're going to take them.
However it's been shown in some informal tests that a suppressor can slightly increase range as it allows a less dramatic loss of pressure at the muzzle. (There's some YouTube vids of people shooting at long-range targets with suppressed and non-suppressed rifles although I can't recall the vids at this moment).

These are the kinds of things I've been toying with - although I need to stop that and finish my next Australia article for The Dark Times haha :roll:
I used F,F&S to stat the Detonic's Combat Master Officer's size .45ACP. I'll check it's range.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

I never ended up buying FF&S. At the time it was a bit too expensive for what little use I would have had for it (and I never got around to buying it on PDF either).
I really just used educated guesses for range differences for pistols based on the stats GDW used for a standard version of the pistol. So for example if they had a 9mmP Beretta M92 at Range 11 and if a compact version had a full sized grip but a barrel that was about 2.5cm/1in shorter then I'd make the Range for the compact version as 10. If it had a reduced grip as well as the shorter barrel then I'd make the Range 9.
It was very "quick & dirty" but it worked well for my group of players.

In my group of players there were a few who would often assess their weapons based on what they had to do and they would advise (hmm, sometimes it was "tell" rather than "advise"!) the other players what weapons they should use for that part of the adventure.
Giving them a choice between say a full size pistol that was less concealable or a compact pistol that had less range but was much easier to conceal gave them more to think about and they would make decisions based on what was best for them at the time. I was happy with that because it added another layer to their interaction with the game although I will freely admit that while it appealed to my group, some other players that I gamed with didn't really care (some of them figured "a gun is a gun is a gun" and that was all the thought they put into it). :roll:

I will also freely admit to being a bit of a "gear" nerd and I tend to make large equipment and weapons lists for the players because I want more variety in equipment! :lol:

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

I think that's pretty close. I'm still looking for my notes. Can't find the notes, so added the Detonics in with Commanders and Officer's models to stat with F,F&S since it has barrel length in it's formula. BTW did you guys stat the Mossberg Shockwave and the Remington equivalent? :P
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Ok, .45ACP officer's have a recoil of "4", and range of "6", Commander's range is "9", recoil is different for light weight variants. I have a lot of Colt side arms, revolvers statted out. Now to type it up and annoy Lee with it. :wink: I did 9X19, .38 Super too for Real world items, if needed I can do Krait variants too.
:P
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:54 am
However Zvezda deserves the credit for the ammunition in PD#8 as he did the technical work for those variants.
I was wondering, if anyone has heard from our Russian friend lately. Don't think he's posted for a while?

Zvezda, if you're out there mate, hope you're keeping well.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Linden wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:15 pm
ReHerakhte wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:54 am
However Zvezda deserves the credit for the ammunition in PD#8 as he did the technical work for those variants.
I was wondering, if anyone has heard from our Russian friend lately. Don't think he's posted for a while?

Zvezda, if you're out there mate, hope you're keeping well.
No, I haven't heard anything, hope he's just caught up with daily life stuff.
After trying both formulas, Inf weapons and F,F&S. I like the latter.