"Surface" the TV show

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

"Surface" the TV show

Post by ReHerakhte »

So after having picked up this show on DVD and having watched most of it now, why the hell did it get cancelled!!
And why the hell isn't showing up on more DC sites as inspirational material! I mean, it's got it all, mysterious disappearances, attacks by creatures unknown, freak weather, conspiracies, government agencies, rogue individuals pulling in all kinds of favours to explore the unknown, possibly rogue elements in the government trying to stop people discovering it, strange creatures, people messing around with DNA & RNA, people creating things they probably shouldn't, people morphing into something... more than human?

So you might have guessed by now that I really like the show - and I'm really pissed it was stopped. In my view, it's an awesome show to use as an example of DC.

Cheers,
Kevin
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Well Kevin, I haven't seen it myself as yet :oops:

I am sure that if you wrote a review for the DC movie site it would be a damn fine one! :)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Have to admit I'd not even heard of the show until you mentioned it. Perusing its entry on IMDB and thinking on your comments made me wonder why DC didn't make more of the aquatic connection. There's very few dark races that hail from the oceans. Given the undersea terrors created by the likes of HP Lovecraft, HG Wells and John Wyndham I can't help wondering if the game missed a trick there. An idea for a supplement maybe?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

From what little info I have seen in Australia, the show didn't do so well in the US and so got little in the way of marketing in other countries. As I understand it, in the US it was on a timeslot where it was competing with a long established show and simply couldn't grab enough ratings.
So it has gone straight to DVD in Australia, I don't recall seeing it advertised for TV here and I'm commiting the sin of assuming it didn't see TV time in many other countries.

If you can, rent it or buy it, I really do believe any DC fan would find enough in it to evoke the "feel" of the game - okay, I'm a little biased, to me it just "feels" DC, just like Invasion Earth or Ultra Violet and so on.

Cheers,
Kevin
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
eyalfein

"from the depths"

Post by eyalfein »

"From the depths" - As it was called in Israel, wasn't a big success here either.
If you haven't seen it in the UK, the DVD of the 1st and only season is available for purchase.
Not being a satellite TV subscriber (I've seen couple of eps, but not enough to realise the whole plot), I trust the judgment of a friend regarding the series, who said I could live without watching it.
Fiannaidhe

Post by Fiannaidhe »

:D Forgive my very late response but i agree. Definately a good source for DC ideas.

Dark Angel was another short lived tv series that had a similiar fate.
Bob