Interesting Discussion from the Book Structure Thread

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

fenlason wrote: What? We can't copy the Games Workshop business model? Throw out a bunch of contradictory rules, then issue a later book that invalidates most of your investment?
Presented without comment from me:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investing- ... _page_id=3
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
fenlason
Prole

Post by fenlason »

Morthrai wrote:Presented without comment from me...
As always, I'll comment :D

That is what happens when you go public. You actually have to put up with others declaring you as an "underperformer".

In regards to Games Workshop's woes, they have brick and mortar stores that they operate. I believe that there is not enough (sadly) concentration of players (and their cash) to support that type of investment. I was referring to GW's product development that captured them their share in the first place. But I do not want to get into a GW rant, which is pretty easy for me to do...:oops:

Norm
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote:Presented without comment from me:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/investing- ... _page_id=3
Think they came a cropper with their LOTR licence? Quite profitable in the early years, less so of late.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Hey congrats on your 100th post!
I have no idea what the guys at GW are doing all day long, but the Warhammer FRP is quite nice...I hope that one day DC will buy Hasbro.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:Hey congrats on your 100th post! .
Thanks. Doesn't seem like I've done a ton!
Zvezda wrote: I have no idea what the guys at GW are doing all day long, but the Warhammer FRP is quite nice...I hope that one day DC will buy Hasbro.
I despised WHFRP when it first came out. Thought the mechanics were clunky and a bad version of D&D, plus I don't like FRPG's generally. But...subsequently became intruiged by Warhammer's Germano-gothic atmosphere. I suspect it's a conspiracy-horror game dressed up in fantasy clothing. Am currently playing in a WHFRP campaign and am really enjoying it. Lost of beastmen about, they're not so different to DC's moreau weres?

Think the current version of the game is licensed to someone else?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Yeah it is the same with me, I don’t like fantasy and the mechanics of WFRP are really bad. But at least you are dead if someone hits you with a sword. A fact that is missing in most other fantasy games. I have no idea who is currently behind the game, and in fact we are not playing the latest version. The beastmen are quite nice, Skaven too. Very DC.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:Yeah it is the same with me, I don’t like fantasy and the mechanics of WFRP are really bad.
I always think that games often succeed in spite of their mechanics rather than because of them. It's the GM, players and storyline that make it an enjoyable experience
Zvezda wrote:The beastmen are quite nice, Skaven too. Very DC.
Skaven roughly equal to DC's super rats? A bit bigger though...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Ivan Dobski wrote:Skaven roughly equal to DC's super rats? A bit bigger though...
Hehe! :D I was more thinking of the smelly nukids. Yep what you said about the players and stuff is totally right.