Promoting DC

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Promoting DC

Post by Marcus Bone »

Hi All,

With the release of our press announcement, the RPG hobby industry was informed of our intentions to republish Dark Conspiracy, the game of post modern conspiracy horror. This notice was made on most of the 'normal' industry sites, and the press release forwarded to a number of companies and individuals with a vested interest in the system.

This notification has been highly successful in highlighting not only the presence of the darkconspiracytherpg.info (DCtRPG) website, but also all intentions to review and republish the RPG. Now while this is all well and, our next question is - how do increase interest in the game, and start the hubbub that usually surrounds a new RPG or game setting?

I know that it is difficult to create interest in a game that has no core rule book or even details of the system to support it, but we are wondering if any of you reading this might have some ideas about ‘other’ places in which the DC announcement could be made.

As you have probably already realised, DCtRPG is to become the hub for the Dark Conspiracy product line, and we have a number of small key advertisements (including the release of a Quick-Play document) planned. Nevertheless, any hints or suggests about getting the message of this conspiracy reborn out to potential readers is appreciated.

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I take it you posted to all the obvious places, such as RPGNET, Gaming Outpost, Gaming Report, KMANT, Roleplaying Tips, UK Roleplayers, as well as any and all mailing lists and groups that may be related to the core of DC in some way?

If I think of any others I'll let you know. 8)
Last edited by Morthrai on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Sicari

ignite interest

Post by Sicari »

"This notification has been highly successful in highlighting not only the presence of the darkconspiracytherpg.info (DCtRPG) website, but also all intentions to review and republish the RPG. Now while this is all well and, our next question is - how do increase interest in the game, and start the hubbub that usually surrounds a new RPG or game setting? "

The easiest way to reignite interest in the golden days of RP was to run free games at gaming conventions. The sole purpose being to introduce the game and its perks to the players. In general the scenario's were fast, simple designs that allowed the players to concentrate on the RP. IE the characters were pregened by the Company or the DM/ST etc.
Such sessions were normally in demand and if they were tied into a freebie of some type (tshirt etc) generally good PR.
This worked even better when the DM/ST knew the system and could field questions on it and the rules with a high degree of knowledge.

The other time tested favorite is to form groups of playtesters. if one carefully chose them. These groups normally began talking about the game well before publication and could cause a ground swell of interest when properly manipulated.
In a crisis the Creed "woman and children first" is a matter of SPECIES survival. Not one of courtesy.
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

The easiest way to reignite interest in the golden days of RP was to run free games at gaming conventions. The sole purpose being to introduce the game and its perks to the players. In general the scenario's were fast, simple designs that allowed the players to concentrate on the RP. IE the characters were pregened by the Company or the DM/ST etc.
Hi ya,

As you have probably noticed on the site, a series of Quick-Plays (that slowly introduce the new rules and revives the background) are in the works. However, the biggest issue we have is with our location. Being New Zealand based, we have a few issues in 'popping up' a few US conventions.

Your second suggestion -
The other time tested favorite is to form groups of playtesters. if one carefully chose them. These groups normally began talking about the game well before publication and could cause a ground swell of interest when properly manipulated.
- is exactly our plans going forward (you might have seen the 'as yet' untouched Playtesters forum here at the site.

Thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming.

Marcus
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

As far as getting demos at conventions, you should exploit the multinationatily of your playtesters. Like Games Workshop does for Warhammer, you could start a "Minions" promoters program where you give discounts/free merchandise to members of the program provided they show you that they are regularly promoting the game in game shops and at conventions.
"All right, Phase 6, Bad guys go first..."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

anthraxus wrote:As far as getting demos at conventions, you should exploit the multinationatily of your playtesters.
I'm gonna sign up for playtesting, then I can push the new edition like mad at Continuum and Dragonmeet this year :D
Lee Williams.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I have no idea which has not already been stated but I will gladly take part in promoting the game wherever I can. For free! :wink:

Informing everyone on the Daemonground mailing list would be a good thing I guess. I am sure that not every body there has learnd about the relaunch. The same is true for the various horror gaming boards around the net.
vadersson

Gen Con

Post by vadersson »

Is there going to be any DC precense at Gen Con Indy? That would get a ton of exposure. Ya know, they generally have a handout table that people can throw flyers on. I live in Indy and will be at Gen-Con...

Another thought is to run DC at Gen-Con or buy a both. Probably should have something to sell first...

See ya,
Duncan
vadersson

Re: Gen Con

Post by vadersson »

vadersson wrote:Is there going to be any DC precense at Gen Con Indy? That would get a ton of exposure. Ya know, they generally have a handout table that people can throw flyers on. I live in Indy and will be at Gen-Con...

Another thought is to run DC at Gen-Con or buy a both. Probably should have something to sell first...

See ya,
Duncan
The other thing is if I had some sort of DC t-shirt to wear occasionally, that could get some attention. I even have some friends that could wear them. Hmm, is there a budget for promotion? I wonder how much t-shirts cost. I might be willing to cover it myself as I love the game...

Things to think on.

Duncan
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Re: Gen Con

Post by Marcus Bone »

vadersson wrote:Is there going to be any DC precense at Gen Con Indy? That would get a ton of exposure. Ya know, they generally have a handout table that people can throw flyers on. I live in Indy and will be at Gen-Con...

See ya,
Duncan
Not this year (which is unfortunate as I would have loved to have attended the get together of all the Call of Cthulhu fans for the games 30th birthday!

However, the current thoughts are to attend Origins and perhaps GenCon next year, especially if we have a campaign or two to promote at the time.

Marcus Bone
vadersson

Post by vadersson »

Marcus,

Ok, since you won't be here this year, what about just making up some sort of flyer to leave on the table at Gen Con? It could even just be copied of the press release. I can probably get a bunch printed up pretty cheap. How do you feel about that? I don't know if you would want to take the time to make up a special flyer instead of just a press release. Gen-Con could help get the word out that DC is coming back.

Just trying to help,
Duncan
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

In a similar vein I am going to be going to DragonCon this year and would be happy to put out flyers and the like.
"All right, Phase 6, Bad guys go first..."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Hopefully I will be attending Continuum 2006 in July here in the UK and a few flyers here and there would be a good thing. Considering that the con will be attended by several 'names' including Sandy Petersen and Charlie Krank, there will be many horror gamers in attendance :D

I will also be at Dragonmeet in London in December.
Lee Williams.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Wow, I seem to be reanimating some old threads today! :D

A few more ideas on promoting the new edition have occured to me. First off, I know several people who run gaming podcasts and they have agreed to use an mp3 ad in shows that will be broadcast closer to the release date. As previously mentioned we also need to hit every relevant mailing list, gaming forum and even arrange banner exchanges with personal friends. I intend to run a small but focused flyer campaign in a few game stores here in the UK, asking the staff if they could throw in a DCtRPG flyer with each horror-related game or accessory purchase. 8)

However, as any experienced gamer can tell you, the most important thing is word of mouth. Your gaming pals will listen when you tell them there's a new game coming out and they need to try it.

If they don't listen? Find some new buddies! :twisted:
Lee Williams.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Hell yeah! If you keep us posted (and maybe even reply to the playtester inquiries if time allowes it) we do what we can. I'll give most exclellent reviews of DC3 as soon as it is out. Or even before if I get the opportunity.