The Spammers are back Ted!

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Linden
Darkling

The Spammers are back Ted!

Post by Linden »

Isn't there any way to get rid of the scum? Forum seems to have had more than its share of rather nasty spam postings recently. :(
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

What I can't believe is how quickly the spam has come back after the editing of the forum memberships as well as the security update :evil:
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

Unfortunately I'm limited in what I can actually do to limit posters. Especially if I don't want to limit new legitimate users of this forum.

However, I might be on to a mod which disallows new users from posting for 1 day (which would eliminate the attacks we see lately)...

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

That works for me! :D
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Though I don't confuse the DC board with a democray I must say that I am against it. I think it will discuourage users from coming back. As far as I can see users in here are rather bright and adult so no one will really click the links provided by the spammers. They are annoying but not dangerous.
People often register for a forum because they either have a specific question which needs to be solved or they found something interesting where they want to have a say. So it would be better to allow them to post right away. That's what I think. :roll:
Antenna

Post by Antenna »

Why not get the newcomers print in a password (distorted letters on jpg) the first 10 to 20 post the make ?

Antenna
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

I think Zvezda makes some good points. I guess it can be a difficult balancing act, not wanting to put off those genuinely interested in the game while at the same time discouraging undesirables.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

More bloody spammers this weekend. They seem to have it in for this site for some reason. I notice Yog-sothoth.com doesn't seem to get half as much trouble, despite being a lot bigger. Do they do something different?
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

If I remember right, you have to be a registered member to post there and they have a graphic security code to become a registered member.

I've been having this same kind of issue over at the Dark America forum. I finally sat down the other day and went through every post and purged all of the posted spam. Haven't had another spammer hit in a couple days now.

I know that there is a security mod on the phpBB community forums that isn't that hard to drop in.

Another option is to either require admin approval of a registrant before they are allowed to post or to have a dedicated mod with delete permissions that can make the time to trawl the forums everyday and clean out the junk.
"All right, Phase 6, Bad guys go first..."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I think currently the admins are enough to deal with the problem. Well I think the spammers hit us so hard because CoC is just a game like all the others while DC holds nothing but the truth. They just don't want it published.