Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Linden
Darkling

Re: Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:05 pm
It was the 80s, the AUG was the look of "The Future".
You've got those, and the space shuttles but then there's the mayhem in the streets scenes towards the end which hark back to 60s hammer. I think it's a film that nails the DC retro-future aesthetic, but in a different way to, say, Streets of Fire.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Anyone else seen Salvage?
I hadn't heard of it until recently and finally got to view it today. The blurb runs "When a container washes ashore the residents of a sleepy cul-de-sac are plunged into violence, terror and paranoia. Ring fenced by the military a single mother must overcome all the odds to save her daughter."

This is a creature flick and there's obviously more going on than that but to mention more would, I fear, stray too far into spoiler territory. There's enough fodder for any horror or conspiracy gaming and the main premise could probably be used as an entire adventure in itself.
A small studio production with a small budget, the movie does not bring anything particularly new to the audience and some might yawn at the by now well overused tropes horror films make too much use of.
I think it was a mistake to show the creature as often as they did because, besides looking a little silly, it does look different enough from humans so that the final scene probably would not have happened... but we might as well wring out some more drama while we've still got the audience onboard!

However, the premise is still good and could probably have been made into an experience more tense and paranoid for the audience, than the film delivers if left in the hands of someone better versed in what makes horror so thrilling for the viewer. And again, the premise would probably make an entire adventure itself for gaming purposes.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

This is definitely worth a watch.
Not directly Dark Conspiracy but it's the sort of story I'd expect to see penned by Markus or Linden for an issue of The Black Seal.
it's a short movie, less than 30 minutes, basically a survey ship goes north looking for undersea deposits of natural gas and discovers something else in the furthest reaches of the Artic.

Sound from the Deep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti231UvSvfQ

It's whether I win...
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

The Car: Road to Revenge

So I just watched this "unofficial sequel" to the horror movie The Car and for a B-movie it was actually worth the time
It reminded me in some ways of the first Robocop movie - action, cheesy, gory, but still fun. And it had a number of references to the first movie including a guest appearance by Ronny Cox who was in the first movie (and, again, Robocop... )

This movie is set in a sort of cyberpunk future, the city has it's rich areas and it's rundown neighbourhoods for the poor and also abandoned areas of decaying buildings and punk-style gangers. The lead man, a cop, lives in a rundown former car repair garage, there's corruption among city officials and police, the bad guy lives in secret lair, the rough-heads wear leather jackets and gas masks but the lead bad guys have distinctive clothes and distinctive mannerisms (and distinctive MOs)
Any of it could fit into a cyberpunk or dystopian game and definitely Dark Conspiracy.

The story is about a new District Attorney who is forcibly stamping out violent crime but he's a bit of a control freak. He discovers a data chip from the main villain and the villains henchmen stop at nothing to get it back, including torturing and (no spoiler) throwing the DA out a window to fall to his death... landing on top of his new, all black, luxury sedan... the car, the marque of which, is Lazarus...

For game purposes, the car itself could be rogue AI or it could be animators or it could simply be a drone, operated remotely. It's all been seen before and I seem to recall that we've talked about such things before so maybe it's a bit too much of a trope for a game but the background material of the city and the society are still useful for game inspiration.

IMDB link: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9382596/

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I watched this some time last year and weirdly it was exactly as good and as bad as I expected, no more or less. Nice to see The Mandalorian isn't the only person with a flamethrower up his sleeve, and don't take on possessed cars even if your pickup does carry a minigun! 8)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

R.I.P. Fred Ward, star of such DC-relevant movies as "Tremors" and "Cast A Deadly Spell" as well as many other roles across a 45 year career :cry:
tremors-1-e1524940140620-700x370.jpg
tremors-1-e1524940140620-700x370.jpg (44.86 KiB) Viewed 52571 times
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

Will need to fish out my copy of Tremors and give it a watch...
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org