Just checking in and talking about gaming...

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Just checking in and talking about gaming...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Hasn't been much traffic here so I'm just posting this to say "G'Day" and I trust everyone is well and still gaming.

I've got a campaign running at the moment that while not explicitly Dark Conspiracy, has the PCs trapped in a deserted city as test subjects for some high school level ET's (who are just out on a field trip doing some science experiments).
Lots of weird phenomena akin to the anomalies from the novella "Roadside Picnic" and related computer game series "STALKER" and I'm also gradually bringing in some Australian mega-fauna as critters.

The session this weekend had some of the Players convinced their Characters were caught in either an alternate reality or a virtual reality. They spent about two hours debating the merits of both views - was a lot of fun listening to their ideas and thinking "Hey, I wish I'd thought of that!"
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: Just checking in and talking about gaming...

Post by Morthrai »

Sounds like fun for all there Kevin :)

It has been quiet lately, but that's just because some of us like to lay low before pouncing...comes with loving the game as much as we all do!
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Yeah true, not much going on at the moment. Though PD 10 (hurray for the first ten!!!) is out and looks good as always. Tons of interesting stuff in there.
I am currently running two dc campaigns which are not goning very fast. I am preparing one of the groups to run Detour as the next adventure but they are not moving out of the last one very fast. :wink: They are still busy covering their tracks.

The Australian Experiment sounds very interesting, which system do you use for the game?
Руки Вверх!
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Zvezda wrote:The Australian Experiment sounds very interesting, which system do you use for the game?
There's only one system to use...
Dark Conspiracy!

I'm using Dark Conspiracy as the base with the Twilight: 2000 version 2.2 updates.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

There is no substitute! Yeah same here T2K 2.2. and DC2. Upgraded with a ton of house rules.

Speaking of house rules, your optimum range rules are geting more and more popular.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

I'm still gaming as well. Currently playing Cold City albeit in somewhat modified form. After half-a-dozen scenarios players and self came to the conclusion we'd prefer a more traditional rpg system so went with the MiniSix rules which seem to be working well.

The campaign's got a bit of a Call of Cthulhu/Delta Green vibe at the moment as the PCs are investigating elements of the Karotechia left over from Operation Lunacy. Have developed a house rule for Insanity (based on that in the Into the Shadows D6 horror rpg).

Think the campaign will run for another 6 or 7 scenarios. After that will probably GM a new game under the same system but set in the 1970s.

Nice to see there's still plenty of love for Dark Conspiracy out there although I have to say I find I'm less inclined to run it using the GDW house rules. It might be something to do with getting older but I find all that complexity (different damage systems for vehicles etc) quite unappealing to run.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

Linden wrote:I'm still gaming as well. Currently playing Cold City albeit in somewhat modified form. After half-a-dozen scenarios players and self came to the conclusion we'd prefer a more traditional rpg system so went with the MiniSix rules which seem to be working well.

Cool to hear you are using the Mini Six rules. They've quickly become my 'go to' set of mechanics for most games. I'd be interested to see or hear of any setting specifics you've created to replicate the Cold War genre.

Linden wrote:Nice to see there's still plenty of love for Dark Conspiracy out there although I have to say I find I'm less inclined to run it using the GDW house rules. It might be something to do with getting older but I find all that complexity (different damage systems for vehicles etc) quite unappealing to run.

I have to say I feel exactly the same way about most of the GDW rules, unfortunately. I'm planning on running some Space:1889 shortly, but like you I'm adapting it to Mini Six. It seems to be a bit of a running theme for GDW - great settings, overly complex or difficult rule systems :P

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Marcus Bone wrote:
Cool to hear you are using the Mini Six rules. They've quickly become my 'go to' set of mechanics for most games. I'd be interested to see or hear of any setting specifics you've created to replicate the Cold War genre.

Not done a huge amount really: Statted up some suitably retro firearms. Expanded the skill list (borrowed the one from Dark Conspiracy) and turned the character agendas into complications for which they get additional CP if they bring them into play. Dispensed with the trust mechanic as I feel that's something that's better roleplayed.

Marcus Bone wrote: It seems to be a bit of a running theme for GDW - great settings, overly complex or difficult rule systems :P

I remember a fanzine describing 2300AD's system as the usual GDW mixture of wonderfully elegant and hideously clunky. I think that about sums it up for me: The task roll was a nice system. Working out damage using decimal fractions was a nightmare. You only have to read some of the back issues of Challenge to see how passionate GDW were about games, and how much work they put into their settings. It's a shame the mechanics for a lot of them were so user unfriendly.Still not as bad as Games Workshop though. Having played a couple of games of Dark Heresy I can't believe GW are still flogging the dead horse that is the warhammer roleplay system. Now that was a misbegotten beast even back in the 1980s. Bolting on a few more rules and tables certainly hasn't improved it any.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

[quote="Linden"]Not done a huge amount really: Statted up some suitably retro firearms. Expanded the skill list (borrowed the one from Dark Conspiracy) and turned the character agendas into complications for which they get additional CP if they bring them into play. Dispensed with the trust mechanic as I feel that's something that's better roleplayed.

Sound great!

If you ever get around to writing up the changes in detail, I'm currently getting together a Mini Six fan site that would be a great home for it :P

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

[quote="Marcus Bone]

If you ever get around to writing up the changes in detail, I'm currently getting together a Mini Six fan site that would be a great home for it :P

[/quote]

Still very much in note form at the moment, and perhaps need a bit more playtesting before being written up properly (nobody's gone insane yet).