Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Post by Morthrai »

This ties neatly into the TV & movies theme...Artist Earl Geier, who worked on the original version of DC and is now illustrating for 3Hombres products, is having some of his work shown on the teevee 8)

In his own words "some of my old artwork is going to be used as background props on the TV show Supernatural. They're blowing up 5 old Cthulhu-related artworks to poster size. The episode's scheduled for May 20."
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Sounds interesting is there a name for that episode?
Руки Вверх!
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Zvezda wrote:Sounds interesting is there a name for that episode?
I do not know what the name will be, sorry :(
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Dosn't matter it's still one or the other month so I have plety of time to figure it out. Would be great if this could be uses for marketing in one way or the other.
Руки Вверх!
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I have some very good news here. Outpost, more or less the official DC movie (a bunch of ex-special forces hunt nazi-monsters in a war zone), is going to have a sequel. "War in Hell"

Now we have a nice new layout but the URL button is still not working.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:I have some very good news here. Outpost, more or less the official DC movie (a bunch of ex-special forces hunt nazi-monsters in a war zone), is going to have a sequel. "War in Hell"
It's good inspiration for Cold City as well. I think the sequel's called "Black Sun" and "War in Hell" is the tagline?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

There is already a documentary called Black Sun on Nazi-Mysticism. But what does it matter? I don’t really care what the film will be called but I think you are right. It will be black sun. I hope the main protagonist will again be called D.C. But yeah it’s I think the sequel will be more of a Cold City story than one for DC. The comedy Iron Sky might also be of interest for Cold City.
Руки Вверх!
Story
Minion

Post by Story »

Any opinions on MONSTERS (set in Mexico)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmR-l3y_coo
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Very good intentions but that's about it. I did not like the movie too much though the general idea was good. The movie itself was boring the acting too.
Руки Вверх!
fenlason
Prole

Post by fenlason »

Story wrote:Any opinions on MONSTERS (set in Mexico)?
Mixed feelings. Good execution, bad writing/acting

It is a good example of a demonground. In this case caused by "something" brought back by a NASA probe (IIRC).

-The burned out Abrams and downed F22s where the invading fauna won.
-Not really seeing the creatures until well into the movie (similar to Cloverfield in that aspect)
-Eerie creature sounds
-US response to the demonground is a giant wall, very distopian

Dislikes:
-Silly dialog, slow pace
-The extreme willingness of the characters to enter the danger zone (I guess without this, there would be no movie)
-Why cross at all? Why not go to Mexico City and catch an airplane to Miami-Chicago-LA to bypass the DG
-Why would anyone build a giant gap in a giant wall? Funding ran out?
-The political implications...I prefer my politics in the OpEd pages and not on the movie screen

Cheers!
Norm
fenlason
Prole

Post by fenlason »

Zvezda wrote:Outpost, more or less the official DC movie (a bunch of ex-special forces hunt nazi-monsters in a war zone)
Linden wrote:It's good inspiration for Cold City as well...
I like the nazi occultism reference in Charles Stross' Atrocity Archives. There nazi occultists (Ahnenerbe) moved to a duplicate dimension of earth, called forth a demon to assist them, and conquered that alternate earth. In the story the demon completely destroyed that alternate universe, nazis included. The result of the demon's destruction was a Black Sun--not quite the intended occult reference, but Stross did a good job working that symbology in.

Note: As a result of the nazi's actions, a very powerful demon (Dark Master?) rests in an alternate dimension (proto-dimension?) awaiting entry into the earth prime dimension. Conspiracies on this side are in place to help it. Totally DC.

Cheers!
Norm
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

The movie bored me to a Point (for the reasons Norm pointed out) that I totally missed its political implications. And I as a great fan of Sergio Leone love political implications in the movies. :?
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

fenlason wrote:
Note: As a result of the nazi's actions, a very powerful demon (Dark Master?) rests in an alternate dimension (proto-dimension?) awaiting entry into the earth prime dimension. Conspiracies on this side are in place to help it. Totally DC.

Members might be interested to know that Contested Ground have already adapted the idea as a Cold City scenario titled Operation Violine. It concentrates mainly on the efforts of a senior SS officer's son to bring his father back from the dead dimension where he's been hiding since the end of the war. The scenario is in the downloadable Cold City preview pack which can be obtained here.

I've read a couple of Charles Stross's Laundry books, and I have to say they didn't do much for me at all. I'm not interested in having to digest reams of IT geek speak and I really dislike the way they portray the occult as something utterly banal and ordinary when it should be mysterious and frightening. To be fair the dead Nazi dimension was well done, but I'm not in any great rush to read any more Laundry stuff.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Story
Minion

Post by Story »