Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Thanks. nice one.
Zvezda
Darkling

Re: Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Post by Zvezda »

Repo Men. It's not Repo Man but it is a great DCesque movie about cyberware and mega corporations plotholes the size of Africa but that doesn't really matter in that kind of movie.
Руки Вверх!
groovydave

Post by groovydave »

Didn't read through all the posts, has anyone mentioned "In the Mouth of Madness", with Sam Neill? A little over the top, but a creepy idea all the same. It would be difficult to translate toa group dynamic, though. Another mind trip movie I liked was "1408", but again, a lot of this film was dependent on the isolation of the main character.
Shoot first. Answers aren't that important.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

groovydave wrote:Didn't read through all the posts, has anyone mentioned "In the Mouth of Madness", with Sam Neill? A little over the top, but a creepy idea all the same.
I like In the Mouth of Madness but probably it's closer to HP Lovecraft/CoC than Dark Conspiracy?

Er...how about Doomsday anyone? All the Dark Conspiracy type films you've already seen rolled into one.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
groovydave

Post by groovydave »

Some people do run a CoC-ish flavor of DC. I didn't see Doomsday, just the commercials. I heard it was pretty bad.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

groovydave wrote:Some people do run a CoC-ish flavor of DC. I didn't see Doomsday, just the commercials. I heard it was pretty bad.
Not the best film ever made, but not the worst either. Some nice touches: The escape from the marauding Glaswegian punk cannibals by steam train was pure genius (as I may have already said).
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

groovydave wrote:Didn't read through all the posts, has anyone mentioned "In the Mouth of Madness", with Sam Neill?
I like that one, but then I am something of a fan of both Sam Neill and Jurgen Prochnow. I did pinch the bit with the book covers for a game once, it went down well with the players.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
groovydave

Post by groovydave »

I assume TV like X-files, American Gothic, Supernatural, VR5, Dark Angel, Max Headroom, Harsh Realm, and Twin Peaks has already been mentioned? Flashforward had some interesting ideas and despite the hype I find myself intrigued by NBCs, The Event. We'll have to see.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

All of the shows you mention are bountiful for ideas Dave, and for me two in particular.

Supernatural certainly applies, after all the Winchesters are in effect a Minion Hunter cell, with a certain amount of experience and a pretty cool set of wheels 8)

As for Max Headroom, I wore out my old VHS tapes by showing the first couple of episodes to any and all prospective DC players...so glad that Shout Factory are finally releasing the entire series on DVD! :D

While on the subject of telly, there doesn't seem to be much going on in the genre here in the UK at the moment. Hope things pick up soon...
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Max Headroom on DVD :!: :D
Here in Down Under Land we could hardly get the videos let alone a single word on DVD releases. This is something I am really looking forward to as I never saw the first few episodes and I believe that on TV the episodes were not shown in the order they were meant to.
Any word on whether the "20 Minutes into the Future" TV movie will be part of the DVD?

Cheers,
Kevin
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote:
While on the subject of telly, there doesn't seem to be much going on in the genre here in the UK at the moment. Hope things pick up soon...
Talked about it on the P-Dim board, but I'll mention it here: Being Human.

Second series was a slightly disappointing, last couple of episodes were pretty incoherent, but it did a really good job of showing how Dark Minions (in this case vampires) might come to an accomodation with corrupt officialdom: The vamps get a licence to do their thing as long as they're not too egregious about it: Popping off druggies and ASBO kids - good. Killing nice middle class people whose families might ask questions - bad.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

ReHerakhte wrote: Any word on whether the "20 Minutes into the Future" TV movie will be part of the DVD?

Cheers,
Kevin
Not entirely sure about that, though this DVD release will contain "unspecified extras" so it might be in there :)

"Welcome to Big Time Television, the channel where two's company and three's an audience!"
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Don't think these have come up yet (I did a search): The Descent 1 & 2.

Morlocks or what?
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Linden wrote:Don't think these have come up yet (I did a search): The Descent 1 & 2.

Morlocks or what?
You know, I haven't seen those for some reason :? Maybe I ought to have a look.
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote: You know, I haven't seen those for some reason :? Maybe I ought to have a look.
Only recently watched them myself. The first one is the best. The second one is a respectable "more of the same" type offering, but spoiled by a botched attempt at a shock ending.

Both very gory.