Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

[/quote]
I was too busy chasing homes to rent online and forgot it was on :( Now I am really looking forward to seeing my oldest nephew's godfather playing a nutter once again![/quote]

Quite a restrained performance. I think the suggestion was that him and his mate were Asperger's cases and thus a bit lacking in the social skills department, not making eye contact when talking to people etc.

They had a shed full of 1970s computer equipment which again gave it a bit of DC retro-tech vibe.

Worth catching on BBC iPlayer or whatever it's called.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

District 9

Well I saw 'District 9' today and thoroughly enjoyed it. It had lots of DC-esque elements - shady corporations with lots of power, a public unknowing of the reality, well-armed criminal gangs, a government that seemed to do nothing, people (and others) reduced to nothing more than commodities for gaining wealth, plus the aliens and other-worldly technology...

Loved it, I'm even thinking of seeing it again at the cinema and I generally hate the "cinema experience" these days - it's overpriced with 'under'-whelming movies most of the time.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I was just watching Neil Blomkamp's original short movie that gave rise to District 9. If the big movie has all of that then I need to go and see it right away :D
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Morthrai wrote:I was just watching Neil Blomkamp's original short movie that gave rise to District 9. If the big movie has all of that then I need to go and see it right away :D
Oh yes! That and soooo much more!
Even down to a few scenes of African criminal gangs with their pet hyenas and their belief that eating the flesh of a powerful person/creature can give you that person's/creature's power.
Have a look at http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/27/pi ... otos-.html for more on the hyena pets.

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Even though it is neither horror or SF, I must reccomend the movieFaintheart to each and every member of this board! Sometimes it is a bit obvious what will happen next but it is nontheless a great movie.
Phulish
Nome

It's not a movie or TV.....Mostly

Post by Phulish »

The "Silent Hill" movie and games are very DCish- demonground and protodimension with a cult and minions.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Re: It's not a movie or TV.....Mostly

Post by ReHerakhte »

Phulish wrote:The "Silent Hill" movie and games are very DCish- demonground and protodimension with a cult and minions.
Definately! I quite enjoyed the movie for its strangeness although I've never played the games. Plus the location they used for some of the filming just adds to the strange factor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

SPOILER WARNING
I liked that the town was changing to mirror what had happened to the girl who was sacrificed by the cult. She has become sort of like a Dark Lord and the town becomes her own protodimension.

It's whether I win...
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Primeval TV series

Post by ReHerakhte »

Well I have finally had the chance to see Primeval, I don't think it actually got to Australian TV. Considering the amount of crap on Aussie commercial TV, I simply don't watch it enough to be certain however.

I bought Season 1 and have so far watched 3 of the 6 episodes and I like it quite a lot.
Has some good stuff for DC, strange anomalies allowing creatures from across time to enter present day UK, the Home Office trying to keep everything from the public, a team of civilians with various skills trying to make sense of it all and keep the public safe from harm.

I know it's had a few more seasons in the UK but I'm a little dubious about the cast changes that have apparently happened. I find myself asking something Linden mentioned before, "Will monster of the week be good enough to sustain the show through the extra seasons?"
Anybody in the UK or US seen the other seasons?

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I found Primeval to be pretty consistent in its internal logic, although I'm certain now that Cutter's wife was only in the show to confuse things :shock:

Enjoyed the future predator idea a lot I must say :twisted:
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Re: Primeval TV series

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:
I know it's had a few more seasons in the UK but I'm a little dubious about the cast changes that have apparently happened. I find myself asking something Linden mentioned before, "Will monster of the week be good enough to sustain the show through the extra seasons?"
Anybody in the UK or US seen the other seasons?
I saw them all. I thought they pushed the monster of the week idea as far as it could go and probably beyond, which might have been why Douglas Henshall left. Think he got fed up doing reactions to special FX. The future predator/imminent apocalypse plot was a bit more like it.

Cast changes: Sorry to see Lucy Brown go and I don't think they satisfactorily resolved the issue of there being two different versions of her character. On the plus side Jason Flemyng is a good actor and his rather truculent ex-plod was a decent replacement for Cutter.

Think there might be a new series in the works, or possibly a film. ITV doing some sort of joint financing deal with a foreign station?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

I did a bit of reading on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primeval about the show and while I am glad they've kept Lucy Brown I wish her character of Claudia Brown was still in the show - although I'm not happy Lucy is only there till season 3.
Don't get me wrong, Hannah Spearritt is cute but Lucy Brown is hot (I always did prefer non-blondes!)

Apparently there will be two more seasons for broadcast in 2011 using the cast from season 3. Filming is set for sometime in March 2010

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote: Don't get me wrong, Hannah Spearritt is cute but Lucy Brown is hot (I always did prefer non-blondes!)
Not forgetting Juliet Aubrey of course. :wink:
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Even though set in a totally different era, the movie The Burrowers has a lot of very interesting features for DC. It is best watched without any information about the film. Despite their short appearance I loved the Ute minion hunters best. Their methods and efficiency reminded me of my players.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

On a B-movie related note, I happened across a link to this Flash game. See how long you can survive! Oh, one tip is that you can hide under the creatures that jump from side to side 8)

Have fun!
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Here's a short little movie from some sort of cabaret show in France in 1907. It's listed as being a creepy French film on the link site. You have about 2 minutes of a "pig of a man" first trying to hit on a maiden and then dancing with her.
However, it's the last 10-15 seconds that make this worth watching.

http://ebaumnation.com/2010/03/31/danci ... rench-film

It's whether I win...