Just ran a DC Game using...

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
seawolf

Post by seawolf »

I just ran a game of DC, reimagined for the modern day (advanced the timeline to near future to now, rather than near future to 1991), using a merging of d20 Modern, Mongoose Publishing's OGL Horror and PGL Cybernet. I used an adventure written by 12 to Midnight Games, called Brainwashed and converted it to the DC universe.

The best part was the conversion of the adventure. it takes place in a small suburb town of Pinebox. But in DC, there are hardly any suburbs. Well, I took the concept of a "gated community" and expanded it to a whole town. The entire townis owned by a corporation and the citizens are families, friends and other relatives of the big-whigs of the corporation. These Corporate Hamlets are under extreme security and kept secret by the corporation. The corporations preserve a part of the America that once was for themselves while the regualr folks live in squaller.

Just thought I would share an idea I had.

Ron
---------------------------------------
MACE
http://www.justusproductions.com

ConCarolinas
http://www.concarolinas.org/
---------------------------------------
greywolf

Post by greywolf »

Hi Ron, thanks for being our first poster! Updating the setting to (and beyond) the modern day is going to being an interesting challenge for us and we've all got our own ideas on how the setting should be updated. I wonder if more past DC players have ideas they'd like to share?
R.A.G.G.

Post by R.A.G.G. »

As a group we have delved into the world of Dark Conspiracy (DC) on three occasions with three different GMs; the latest, with myself GMing was set in the year 2006 in the small town of McMinnville, OR (location of a well known UFO sighting in 1949/50 and the town I was living in). Looking for a way to ensure the players felt as though they had a personal stake in the game and since all the players were either from or lived in McMinnville, I have them all generate characters based on there own histories – yes, I had them create themselves. There where a few grumbles at first, however, after the “training” (to learn the new system – a hybrid of 1st and 2nd edition, can be see on our DC page at http://sites.onlinemac.com/rollem_again/dcpage.htm) and a pre-game stand alone “training adventure” the grumbles were replaced with praise and surprise at how different and fun it actually was to roleplay, more or less, yourself.

The conversion was not too difficult since I opted for the following; unless your character was wealthy or very well connected you owned items based on the technology level of equipment listed in both editions; the wealthy, of course, had the modern tech. Since I was having the players play themselves, their characters started off with a list of equipment the players owned (which surprisingly was much less “adventuring equipment” then you would think, and if my wife did not access to my guns, the characters would have been virtually unarmed); any item (house, car) with outstanding debt was repossessed.

I used adventures for written DC (I have all the publish books/adventures for both editions), converted some of the less gruesome adventures written for Call of Cthulhu, use converted ideas from other games, and wrote my own.

The game ran for several months taking the characters through several adventures touching on a couple of different storylines, including alluding to why McMinnville seemed to be, at least, slightly immune to the ravages the rest of the country/world was facing. We paused the game and return to our regularly scheduled game.
Kevin GM/DM
Roll'em Again Gaming Group
Oregon Chapter
"In a world of games ... WE are the Gamers"
fenlason
Prole

Post by fenlason »

Well, with the Greater Depression driving rural citizens into the cities, smaller cities feel the crunch of diminishing populations. There are some small townships that have done just what you described...gated their entire city. Providing a small militia, fences, walls, and gates, these smaller communities struggle to maintain their indentity in the midst of increasing lawlessness. Although not as drastic as in the movie The Postman, visitors that cannot clearly vouch their business, are denied entrance, disarmed, or arrested. In The Postman the hero disguised himself as a mail carrier to reap the benefits of acceptance into controlled communities.

In lesser hostile areas, the wealthy, nostalgic for the old times, have enjoyed corporate sponsorship as seawolf describes. These communities enjoy trained and well equipped security forces acting with impunity against transgressors.

Times have gotten pretty hard after the great fall! Citizens are euphemistically huddling around the fire!

There are plenty of ideas for adventures coming from such a community. A small "themed" community of wealthy eccentrics with something strange going on. To get in, the PCs must play the part, so to speak. (Can you say Insmouth?)

Norm
Sicari11

updates

Post by Sicari11 »

When product was scarce. I used Beyond the supernatural, Shadow run, Twilight 2000 and Nightbane for items and background for the changing world. The Twilight 2000 material was good for all of the Military stuff and the History sections provided much useful material.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

From personal experience I can say that good sources for DC inspiration include material from Chill, Beyond the Supernatural, alternity Dark*Matter and several GURPS books (particularly the Supressed Transmissions collections, Black Ops, Warehouse 23). I also found the online TORG to Dark Conspiracy conversions very handy, if memory serves they were Seawolf's work.

I have a list somewhere of material that myself and others have used, when I get home I will dig it out and repost it here. Looking forward to seeing what Marcus and the gang have for us as well :)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

I've also found that Conspiracy X is a great inset for Dark Conspiracy. I totally freaked my players out after several years of battling extra-dimensional Dark Lords and the like to have an alien invasion, by the Saurians from Conspiracy X, that was totally unrelated to any other dark activity they had encountered before.
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

While not exactly an aid to running a DC game, if anybody is interested I'm slowly writing up an only slightly edited telling of a game I ran almost a year ago. It used Mike Marchi's "Terror Train" Adventure from Demonground Vol. 1. I would love some feedback.

You can see it (with links to earlier segments) here: http://raging-gargoyle.livejournal.com/28987.html
"All right, Phase 6, Bad guys go first..."