Inspirational Movies and TV for Dark Conspiracy

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
anthraxus
Mike

Post by anthraxus »

While it was not Raiders, the latest Indy flick wasn't bad. Yes there were some monkeys and what-not, but they really were a very minor thing. Also there were some significant plotholes, but if you look at it simply on the merits of an Indy Action flick, it's not bad at all.
"All right, Phase 6, Bad guys go first..."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Something that has been shown on UK TV over the past three nights, The Triangle seems to have a bit of everything. Dimensional tears, mad science, the Philadelphia experiment, Sam Neill...and one of the lead characters is a seedy tabloid reporter. Pretty DC-ish I think :)

And no, for those who dare to remember it, this is NOTHING to do with the crappy BBC soap called Triangle from the 80s :twisted:
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote: And no, for those who dare to remember it, this is NOTHING to do with the crappy BBC soap called Triangle from the 80s :twisted:
Damn...I was just going to ask that. No Kate O'Mara taking her top off then?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Once again, going back to the Rutger Hauer movie Split Second...

Whoever sculpted this figure has definitely seen that film 8)
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote:Once again, going back to the Rutger Hauer movie Split Second...

Whoever sculpted this figure has definitely seen that film 8)
Although the blurb writers plainly haven't. It's an assault shotgun he's carrying. A figure of his by the book partner Neil "Taggart" Duncan would have been good as well.

Nice find Lee.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

OBJECTION!
Your honour, if I remember correctly the weapons where called assault rifles in the movie.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:OBJECTION!
Your honour, if I remember correctly the weapons where called assault rifles in the movie.
Been a while since I've seen the film but I seem to recall that the armourer refers to the weapon as an assault shotgun and appears genuinely appalled that they want two.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

(pauses aging VCR)
Definitely called assault shotguns 8)
(rewinds aging VCR)

I ought to get it on DVD I guess!
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote: I ought to get it on DVD I guess!
People on Ebay knocking out German (and Spanish) copies. Full English dialogue though. Comes in a variety of covers, some good, some crap.

Got to admit I'm tempted...
Linden
Darkling

Killer veg - old skool style

Post by Linden »

Been watching the 1981 BBC adaptation of Day of the Triffids. A lot grimmer than I remember when I first saw it as a kid. Some Dark Conspiracy style ideas in there: Genetically engineered organism getting out of control, breakdown of society with decaying cities inhabited by violent gangs, plus a depopulated countryside, parts of which are being overrun by marauding triffids (creating their own plant friendly demonground perhaps?)
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Ah yes, the 1981 BBC version. Fondly remembered by me :)

However, I see from IMDB that there is a new version in production, again by the BBC...hope they don't do too much "re-imagining" with it :?
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Another movie - coming to the big screen in August

Post by ReHerakhte »

"District 9" http://d-9.com/

This movie is one that I ABSOLUTELY MUST SEE!!

Don't confuse it with "Alien Nation" or "V" - this movie is different again from either of those. Written and directed by a South African (Neill Blomkamp) and sponsored & produced by Peter Jackson.

SPOILER ALERT Highlight the space below to reveal the text...
This time, the humans are doing the exploiting and the aliens just want to leave but we won't let them.

If you want more spoilers then check the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_9
If you do check the wiki and read the spoilers then I think you'll see exactly why I believe "District 9" is an excellent movie for DC inspiration.

Blomkamp was once contracted to do the movie for the Halo game and he produced a short film to show how he envisioned the movie. If you get the chance, take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BaVb2TlWb0
I don't care too much for Halo the game, (I only played it multi-player with a friend who is a mad Halo fanboy) but I think the Halo movie would have been great.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Now, I have not seen this movie yet but I am posting this because of one simple fact. According to Lester Smith's Facebook, this movie made him jump! :shock: So that must mean it's worth a look, yes? Lester also said he thought the acting was so good he almost forgot it wasn't real.

I'm going to check it out sometime. :D
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Tonight's episode of "New Tricks"had an alien-conspiracy plot line, which mixed elements of the Rendlesham Forest incident and the Dr David Kelly affair. Ultimately it proved to have (an admittedly sinister) terrestrial explanation, although you were left with a bit of ambiguity right at the end.

Lee's mate Mark Williams was in it as well, playing a UFO spotter. :wink:
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Linden wrote:Tonight's episode of "New Tricks"had an alien-conspiracy plot line, which mixed elements of the Rendlesham Forest incident and the Dr David Kelly affair. Ultimately it proved to have (an admittedly sinister) terrestrial explanation, although you were left with a bit of ambiguity right at the end.

Lee's mate Mark Williams was in it as well, playing a UFO spotter. :wink:
I was too busy chasing homes to rent online and forgot it was on :( Now I am really looking forward to seeing my oldest nephew's godfather playing a nutter once again!
Lee Williams.