Additions to body armour listed in the book

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Additions to body armour listed in the book

Post by ReHerakhte »

G'Day everyone,
As mentioned to Zvezda in the Real World forum, I have been trying to compile a more modern equipment list for a campaign I am planning. As something of a sneak preview, I want to post some of the armour I have written up so everyone can review it and offer improvements/thoughts etc. on it if they'd like to.
My basic idea was to make body protection more desirable for the PCs by more fully detailing what it can do for them so the items below offer some protection from small arms or melee/animal attacks or both.

As a side note, I increased the availability codes, so remember that all the prices and availabilities are based on my campaign and not the one from the book. Weights are only to one decimal place and are very much based on an average of a medium suized example.
The codes are as follows (in order of highest to lowest availability): -
A = Abundant
V = Very Common
C = Common
S = Scarce
R = Rare
E = Extremely Rare
- = not normally available

Items
Cavers Helmet: A lightweight plastic shell with a foam insert, it is designed to protect a persons head from knocks, bumps and falling rocks. The area around the ears is intentionally open so no noise penalties are suffered. It provides AV:1 versus melee attacks but is broken beyond repair after 2-3 such attacks. However, its coverage is so small that the it only protects the head on a D6 roll of 1-2.
Not suitable protection from the weather or small arms fire but just the thing to stop pieces of the roof from falling on your head when you explore that abandoned factory or a group of feral children start throwing torn up paving bricks at you for being on ‘their’ turf.
Wt: 0.3kg
Price: $27 (S/S)
Cavers Helmet, Kevlar: Using more modern materials to improve its lifespan and damage resistance, this helmet is made from Kevlar which has the side benefit of lowering the weight somewhat. It is almost the same as the item above except that it will protect against small arms of DAM:1 (i.e. it has AV:1). However it covers such a small area of the head that protection is only gained on a D6 roll of 1-2, otherwise, the round has stuck the head.
It will survive 3-5 such hits before being rendered useless.
It also offers AV:1 against melee attacks and will survive 4-6 hits before being damaged beyond repair. Its coverage is so small that the it only protects the head on a D6 roll of 1-2 from such attacks.
Wt: 0.2kg
Price: $38 (S/S)

Flak Jacket: More correctly known as a fragmentation vest, this is a 1950s-1970s era vest made from ballistic nylon, making it heavy and hot to wear for extended periods. Any period of heavy work conducted while wearing this jacket adds one Fatigue Level to that gained from the heavy work.
This armour is intended to provide protection from fragments, not direct hits from small arms. It gives AV:1 to the chest and abdomen (front, sides & back) but only from low velocity projectiles but will also reduce melee attack damage by 2 points (due to its thickness).
It can survive 6-10 hits from DAM:1 fragments or firearms before being rendered useless.
Wt: 8.0kg
Price: $400 (C/C)

Hardhat: This is a standard hard-plastic construction helmet, full brim and cap styles are both available. Designed to protect the head from falling debris and from knocks, it provides AV:1 versus melee attacks and will survive 2-4 such attacks before being rendered useless.
It is not suitable as protection from fragments or smallarms fire but will help prevent you being brained by the locals when they start throwing rocks.
Wt: 0.4kg
Price: $25 (V/V)

K6-3 police helmet: This helmet is a variant of the Russian K6 series, it features a titanium shell with ballistic cloth liner but most noticeable is the full face, armoured visor. The visor completely covers the face and uses a ‘wrap around’ armoured glass panel of approximately 5cm height to allow vision.
This helmet completely protects the head & face when the visor is down, however, peripheral vision suffers somewhat (-1 to any Observation checks).
It offers AV:2 to all areas of the head versus small arms and also provides AV:2 versus melee attacks. It can survive 8-10 small arms hits before being rendered useless and it can survive 10-12 melee attacks before suffering the same fate.
It also features attachment points to allow fitting of an external boom mike and internal speakers. However, like the Sphere helmet listed below, this is a heavy item and not intended for all-day wear.
Wt: 3.5kg
Price: $425 (E/S)
Kevlar 29 Helmet: An older type of Kevlar helmet dating from the 1980s although providing better coverage to the ears and neck than the previous generation of steel helmets. Made from Kevlar 29, a synthetic fibre that is 5 times stronger than steel, weight for weight. It is intended to provide protection from fragments, not direct hits from small arms (yet sometimes does).
Provides AV:1 to the head but only from low velocity projectiles (including low powered bullets) but also provides AV:1 against melee attacks. Protects the head from both types of attack on a D6 roll of 1-4. Will survive 6-8 such attacks before being rendered useless.
Weight: 0.8kg
Price: $260 (S/S)
Kevlar 129 Helmet: Made from 2nd generation Kevlar fibre that is some 25% lighter than the original version. This helmet is intended to provide protection from fragments, not direct hits from small arms (yet sometimes does).
Provides AV:1 to the head but only from low velocity projectiles (including low powered bullets) but also provides AV:1 against melee attacks. Protects the head from both types of attack on a D6 roll of 1-4. Will survive 6-8 such attacks before being rendered useless.
Weight: 0.5kg
Price: $300 (C/V)
Kevlar 29 Vest, model I: An older type of personal armour dating from the 1980s, made from Kevlar 29 fabric to provide better protection than the Flak Jacket although without any significant reduction in weight. This type of armour is intended to provide protection from fragments, not direct hits from small arms (yet sometimes does). Provides AV:1 to the chest and abdomen (front, sides & back) but only from low velocity projectiles (including low powered bullets).
This vest has no provision for inserting trauma plates. Will survive 6-8 hits from DAM:1 firearms before being rendered useless. The material also confers minor protection from melee attacks, giving a 1 point damage reduction per attack. However, it will only survive 4-6 such attacks before being rendered unusable.
Weight: 7.2kg
Price: $750 (S/S)
Kevlar 129 Vest, model I: A later type of personal armour dating from the 1990s, made from Kevlar 129 fabric to provide better protection than earlier types and with less bulk and lower weight. This type of body armour is intended to provide protection from fragments, not direct hits from small arms (yet sometimes does). Provides AV:1 to the chest and abdomen (front, sides & back) but only from low velocity projectiles (including low powered bullets).
This vest has no provision for inserting trauma plates. Will survive 8-10 hits from DAM:1 firearms before being rendered useless.
Due to the tougher fabric used, it also provides a 2 point damage reduction from melee or animal attacks. It will survive 6-8 such attacks before becoming unusable.
Weight: 4.0kg
Price: $900 (C/V)

Overcoat, Duster, Kevlar-lined: This is an improvised item of protective clothing consisting of a duster coat with strips of Kevlar 129 cloth sewn into the lining. It covers from neck to ankle and provides AV:1 to arms, legs, chest, torso and groin (front, sides & back if worn closed or sides & back if worn open). A common item of protection for those who prefer not to advertise they are wearing body armour. It is heavy and hot to wear for extended periods so any period of heavy work conducted while wearing this item adds one Fatigue Level to that gained from the heavy work. It also provides protection against cold down to -1°C.
Will survive 10-12 hits from DAM:1 firearms before being rendered useless. It also provides a 1 point damage reduction versus melee or animal attacks and can suffer 10-12 such attacks before being rendered unusable.
Wt: 8.0kg
Price: $1200 (E/S)
Overcoat, Duster, Mesh-lined: Similar to the duster listed above but incorporating a fine chain mail type mesh along with the Kevlar lining. Thought to have been created by a gang engaged in frequent knife fights as well as the occasional gun fight, it has become common enough amongst those outside the law. While somewhat stylish and moderately effective it is overly heavy and restricts movement enough that any attempt to rapidly pull out any weapon/item from under the coat needs to succeed at a DIFF:AGL test. If the test is failed, the wearer has fumbled the item or they have lost the initiative (and therefore go last in the round), whichever is worst.
It provides AV:1 versus small arms and AV:1 versus slashing or piercing weapons but only provides a 1 point damage reduction versus any bludgeoning type attack.
It is heavy and hot to wear for extended periods so any period of heavy work conducted while wearing this item adds one Fatigue Level to that gained from the heavy work. It also provides protection against cold down to -1°C. Will survive 12-14 hits from any combination of DAM:1 firearm or melee attack before being rendered useless. It can suffer the same number of melee attacks before becoming useless.
Wt: 11.0kg
Price: $1400 (S/C)

Sphere Siege/Assault Helmet: AKA Sphera & Sfera. This is a Russian designed helmet for high risk military or police actions and consists of 3 titanium or armour steel shaped plates inserted into the pockets of a proprietary nylon cap of olive green colour. It is heavy and not intended for sustained wear but does protect the head to AV:2. Each plate will survive 10-12 such attacks before being rendered useless (roll 1D3 to determine which plate was hit). However, unlike other helmets, the metal plates can be individually removed, thus damaged plates can be taken out and new plates inserted.
A one-size-fits-all padded liner is fitted to the inside and a sturdy chin strap with chin piece holds it all in place.
The helmet is issued with a carry bag and also three camouflage covers, two of a temperate forest pattern & one for urban use although winter patterns have also been seen. Like the other helmets listed here, it does not provide any protection to the face.
Also provides AV:2 against melee attacks and while any helmet cover may be damaged in such attacks, the metal plates will typically turn aside melee attacks, suffering little to no damage.
Protects the head from both types of attack on a D6 roll of 1-4.
Weight: 3.5kg
Price: Complete $380 (E/S), new plates $90 (E/S)
Steel Vest: During World War 2, the Soviets trialled several designs of body armour with one type, the SN42, seeing significant production. The design consisted of a main plate covering the torso front with a second plate suspended from this that covered the groin. Both plates were made from pressed steel that provided AV:2. The vest gave no protection to the shoulders or neck and did not extend to the back of the wearer. Padding was provided to prevent blunt trauma and chaffing around the neck & arms and there was also padding to prevent the two plates from clanging together during movement.
A simple though somewhat heavy design, it has found a new lease of life, being handmade in small workshops by various gangs. A useful item for short firefights in back alleys and abandoned buildings but not so practical for para-military operations. Local authorities are concerned by its presence but more so due to its availability than its actual protective abilities.
When worn under an open trenchcoat or duster, it looks quite like a carapace and some gangers paint their vests in garish colours or evil motifs supposedly to enhance the intimidation effect. Worn like this, it is imposing enough to provide a bonus of +1 to Intimidate skill. This armour does allow the wearer to bend forward without major restriction.
Wt: 3.5kg
Price: $200 (R/C)

Cheers,
Kevin
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Interesting stuff Kevin. Very nice to see some elaboration on a topic that received only cursory treatment in the original game.

The only thing I'd question is whether it's necessary to mention that a certain type of armour gives protection against low velocity rounds only. Isn't that already factored into the rules with such rounds mostly having Pen rating of nil?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Damned good point and my answer is...

Kinda sorta...

The long answer.
This where the whole issue gets to be a right pain in the rear! The game rules are quite simple, something I like, but they don't take into account the different types of ballistic cloth that's available (and to be fair, GDW would have had very little research material available to them on the subject in the late 1980s when they developed the game).

The Flak Vest was made from ballistic nylon which could slow down and stop the irregularly shaped fragments from shrapnel or richochets but the shape of most bullets could push aside the weave of the material and penetrate it so it does very little to actually stop any bullet.
Kevlar is a tighter weave and can slow down certain large and slow moving bullets but has a real problem stopping faster moving or smaller diameter ammunition. In fact, it can often be penetrated by the .22Magnum round while stopping a 9mmP round because the .22M has a smaller nose and can slip between the fibres. Both rounds are generally considered to be low velocity.
(More modern materials have a better weave or use alternating layers to achieve a cross hatching effect and get to the point where they can slow down and in newer materials, even stop, various piercing weapons.)

So the Flak Vest is not particularly good at stopping any bullet, small or large. Small rounds, even those with a Pen of Nil such as the .22LR, can slip between the fibre weave while larger bullets simply shove the fibres out of the way.
The Kevlar vest, could very well slow down or even stop a .357M slug because it's a nice big diameter, flat nosed (i.e. wadcutter or even hollow points) round and it hits more of the fibres as it impacts and thus has more restraint applied to it.
By the game rules, the Flak Vest and the Kevlar Vest are pretty much the same except for weight and both can, by the game rules, stop any bullet that has a Pen rating of Nil.
So I'm left with the thorny problem of how to distinguish between the two and the types of bullets they can (or cannot) stop without rewriting the whole thing to be a copy of the NIJ standards for body armour. The simple answer I came up with was to specifically mention that for instance, the Flak Vest only stops fragments.

The short answer.
Umm, I didn't think of that... and after all that long-winded geekspeak above, now that you've mentioned the Pen Nil factor, the descriptions of the armour probably don't need any such elaboration.
I do tend to get a bit carried away when I'm researching and writting up some of this stuff :lol:

So, nicely spotted Linden, the Pen rating completely slipped past me :oops: Thanks for the feedback :D

Cheers,
Kevin

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Very nice stuff. I have made some Spidersilk/Biosteel armour.

It protects against weapons with a Pen: Nil. Damage is rolled normal but applied as "non-leathal". Biosteel is soft and only prevents the bullet from entering the body the kinetic energy is still transfered to the target. Every piece of clothing can be tailored of Spidersilk. I used a price of ~100.000 per piece of clothing. Which might be a bit too expensive. However in my game it is still experimental and not available at Woolworth. Guns with a pen other than Nil ingnore the armour just like heavy weapons ignore kevlar vests.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote: I do tend to get a bit carried away when I'm researching and writting up some of this stuff :lol:
...and I'd say that's no bad thing. Your enthusiasm and knowledge are highly evident and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking we're lucky to have you on the board.

To go back to the game I read a posting on another forum (can't remember which) saying that GDW made a big mistake in their mechanics, allocating armour value 1 (or exceptionally 2) to an entire range of different types of personal protection. I think there's some truth in that, although your items get round this difficulty very well.

I'm tempted to use the Kevlar lined duster in an upcoming scenario featuring The Pale. It sounds like the ideal garment for covering up their ungainly appearance and keeping them warm. One of my players has a liking for long coats, or rather her character has, so I imagine she'll want one too once she discovers them.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I think the AV:1 (or 2) rules are not that bad. They are way better than those of cyberpunk for example where it is up to chance if a .22 LR or a .50BMG round are stopped by your armoured jeans. The only real flaw I have found is close combat. I know "One should not take a knive to a shoot-out" but armed melee is not much covered in GDW rules.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Hey Linden & Zvezda, thanks for the compliments :D

As for the allocation of AV:1, yes I very much agree with what you've mentioned Linden. Particularly because at the time Dark Conspiracy (and then Twilight: 2000 version 2.2) was developed, the armour/trauma plate inserts for Kevlar vests were reasonably well known (GDW specifically mention armour plate inserts in the description of the RamTech Close Assault Armour - pg 271 original DC book).
Those plates should have been treated as a seperate item (I have a somewhat lengthy list of trauma plates and I'm still following up some checks on some other types).

A number of the items I have in the list are more modern than the Kevlar vests and some of them just outright "made-up-for-the-game" types (like the Kevlar lined duster - and how damned cool is it for a PC to have a Kevlar lined duster!) Some items are kind of close to reality while a few others have been tweaked to suit the game rules. I'm still trying to get a good treatment for such things as Dragon Skin and the 'liquid' armours. Some of them, (once completed) will take a PC's personal protection up to AV:3 and AV:4 levels because even some of the stuff available now (like the Dragon Skin that Zvedza mentioned originally) will protect against 7.62mmN and .30-06 ammunition.

My whole equipment list project is really just me throwing more 'flesh' onto a 'skeleton' comprising the excellent gear lists of Paul Mulcahy for his Twilight: 2000 site and Domenic de Bechi for his Millennium's End pages (now apparently in a permanent "The site is presently down. Please try again another time." state). I basically took what they had and added more or expanded their original descriptions.
Paul's site: - http://www.pmulcahy.com/
Paul's equipment page: - http://www.pmulcahy.com/equipment/equipment_2.html
You can still access Domenic's site via the Internet Archive: Wayback Machine using http://web.archive.org/web/200103020252 ... der.co.uk/

While both men created some very good stuff, none of it was as modern as I wanted, i.e. their lists were aimed at a gameworld timeframe of the late 1990s. So that's where I include stuff like the K6-3 and Sphere helmets from Russia. As for the melee combat treatment in DC, it's okay but not great (and really, I'm not too worried about it because most of the people I game with want ease of use rather than realistic but complicated rules) and that's why I tried to figure in the protection from melee and animal attacks.
There's a whole range of aggressive beasties in the game and I sure as hell would like to have some protection from all those sharp pointy teeth! :shock:

Anyways, that's enough dribbling on from me, I'll post some more armour items below :)

Cheers,
Kevin

It's whether I win...
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Apologies for any repeats (I'm basically cutting & pasting) of items, any long-winded geekspeak or repeatition of errors from the first such posting :(

More Items

Body Armour, Concealable, Kevlar: The type of low profile armour that many police officers wear under their uniforms but it is often also worn by business people working in risky areas of the world and a few shop owners under threat of hold-ups. To cut down on weight and discomfort, they are made as vests with no protection to the arms, shoulders, neck or groin. The material is somewhat stiff and a little bulky and careful observation of a person can reveal the presence of this vest under their clothes.
Two types are available as follows: -
model I: Gives AV:1 to the chest and abdomen (front, back & sides). Will survive 4-6 hits from DAM:1 firearms before being rendered useless.
Wt: 2.7kg, Price: $850 (S/C)
model Ia: Gives AV:1 to chest and abdomen (front, back & sides) but also has pockets on the front and back for small trauma plates thus giving extra protection to the chest (front & back) when these are fitted. See below for Trauma Plates. Will survive 4-6 hits from DAM:1 firearms before being rendered useless, (although the trauma plates, if fitted, will prevent hits to the chest).
Wt: 2.8kg, Price: $970 (R/C)
Body Armour, Concealable, Spectra: In all respects the same type of armour as mentioned above except it is made from Spectra fabric that provide greater protection for less weight. Spectra is a synthetic fibre like Kevlar but 3 times stronger.
It is 10-15 times stronger than steel weight for weight. It is also less bulky and thus little thicker than a singlet or tee-shirt. Detecting this vest under someone’s clothes is markedly harder
Will survive 4-6 hits from DAM:2 firearms before being rendered useless.
Again, two types are available: -
model I: Gives AV:2 to chest and abdomen (front, back and sides). Will survive 4-6 hits from DAM:2 firearms before being rendered useless.
Wt: 2.4kg, Price: $1300 (R/S)
model Ia: Gives AV:2 to chest & abdomen (front, back & sides) but also has pockets on front and back for small trauma plates to be fitted. The increase in protection can be found in the entry for Trauma Plates below. Will survive 4-6 hits from DAM:2 firearms before being rendered useless, (although the trauma plates, if fitted, will prevent hits to the chest).
Wt: 2.5kg, Price: $1400 (R/S)
Body Armour, Improvised: This probably started life as one gangers attempt at an armoured vest but has become the most commonly encountered type in the contested zones. Often built around something like the protective vests worn by motorbike or paintball enthusiasts, layered with scraps of leather, Kevlar etc. and reinforced with plates of metal and rubber. It only provides AV:1 to chest and abdomen (front, sides & back) against firearms but also provides AV:1 against melee weapons and animal attacks.
It is heavy and uncomfortable to wear for extended periods but is an imposing sight, especially if worn under a trenchcoat and provides a bonus of +2 to Intimidate skill when worn. Due to the inflexible nature and bulk of most of the materials used, wearers may not move faster than a trot and all tasks become one level more difficult
Wt: 9.0kg
Price: $230 (-/S)

Kevlar 29 Vest, model Ia: Essentially the same type of vest as the Kevlar 29 Vest, model I except that this vest has pockets for the insertion of small trauma plates, (the trauma plates protect the chest front and back only). Provides AV:1 to the chest and abdomen (front, sides & back) but provides a greater AV to chest (front & back) if trauma plates are used (see the entry for Trauma Plates below). Will survive 6-8 hits from DAM:1 firearms before being rendered useless, (although the trauma plates, if fitted, will prevent hits to the chest).
The material also confers minor protection from melee attacks, giving a 1 point damage reduction per attack. However, it will only survive 4-6 such attacks before being rendered unusable.
Weight: 7.4kg
Price: $830 (S/C)
Kevlar 29 Vest, model II: In all respects, this vest is the same as the Kevlar 29 model I described above except that it has additional coverage on the groin and upper arms. This provides those locations with AV:1 although groin protection does not cover sides or back.
Will survive 6-8 hits from DAM:1 firearms before being rendered useless.
The material also confers minor protection from melee attacks, giving a 1 point damage reduction per attack. However, it will only survive 4-6 such attacks before being rendered unusable.
Wt: 8.7kg
Price: $920 (S/C)
Kevlar 29 Vest, model IIa: In all respects, this vest is the same as the Kevlar 29 model Ia described above (and also takes small trauma plates), except that it has additional coverage on the groin and upper arms. This provides those locations with AV:1 although groin protection does not cover sides or back.
Will survive 6-8 hits from DAM:1 firearms before being rendered useless, (although the trauma plates, if fitted, will prevent hits to the chest).
Wt: 8.9kg
Price: $1100 (R/S)

Spectra Vest, model I: This is a relatively lightweight vest intended to provide protection from fragments and low to medium power smallarms. Provides AV:1 to chest & abdomen (sides, front and back). This vest has no provision for inserting trauma plates. Will survive 8-10 hits from DAM:1 firearms before being rendered useless. Also provides a 2 point damage reduction from melee or animal attacks.
Wt: 1.3kg
Price: $1800 (R/C)
Spectra Vest, model Ia: Basically the same vest as mentioned above except fitted with pockets to allow the use of standard Trauma Plates. Provides AV:1 to chest & abdomen (sides, front and back) unless fitted with trauma plates. If fitted with trauma plates, provides additional protection to chest & abdomen (front and back) as well as sides if torso side plates are used, to the level of the trauma plate. Will survive 8-10 hits from DAM:1 firearms before being rendered useless, (although the trauma plates, if fitted, will prevent hits to the chest). Also provides a 2 point damage reduction from melee or animal attacks.
Wt: 1.4kg
Price: $2200 (R/C)
Spectra Vest, model II: The same as the Spectra Vest, model I described above but with additional layers of Spectra cloth to increase its protection level. Provides AV:2 to chest & abdomen (front, sides and back).
This vest has no provision for inserting trauma plates. Will survive 8-10 hits from DAM:2 firearms before being rendered useless. Also provides a 4 point damage reduction from melee or animal attacks.
Wt: 2.3kg
Price: $2800 (E/S)
Spectra Vest, model IIa: Basically the same vest as mentioned above except fitted with pockets to allow the use of standard Trauma Plates. Provides AV:2 to chest & abdomen (sides, front and back) unless fitted with trauma plates. If fitted with trauma plates, it provides additional protection to chest & abdomen (front and back) as well as to the sides if torso side plates are used, to the level of the trauma plate.
Will survive 8-10 hits from DAM:2 firearms before being rendered useless, (although the trauma plates, if fitted, will prevent hits to the chest). Also provides a 4 point damage reduction from melee or animal attacks.
Wt: 2.4kg
Price: $3100 (E/S)

Trauma Plates: Also known as armour inserts, trauma inserts, armour plates or ballistic plates, these items are large plates of steel, titanium, ceramic (such as silica-carbide or boron carbide), ballistic cloth or polyethylene and sometimes a combination of metal & ceramic. Shaped to fit armour vests, they offer additional protection to vital areas (heart/lungs, kidneys etc.) on both front and back of the torso and in later types of vest, also the sides. The standard plates are designed for either the front or the back although for game purposes, this is not taken into account.
Metal plates are used to stop high velocity ammunition as are the early ceramic plates although they can’t suffer the damage of metal plates. The latest generation of ceramic plates provide a greater lifespan with an increase in protection and sometimes with a lower weight.
Laminate plates are composed of a metal and ceramic sandwich to provide a longer lifespan than a ceramic plate and greater AV than a metal plate although these appear to be superseded by the latest ceramic plates.
The ballistic cloth inserts (e.g. Kevlar, Spectra) are used to stop lower velocity ammunition as well as give some slashing & piercing protection.
Polyethylene is used typically to protect against impaling and slashing attacks (knives etc.) Being thermoplastic, they can be remoulded after suffering serious damage
Small trauma plates are available for concealable body armour and Kevlar vests (see entries above). They only cover the heart/lung region and thus give no protection to the abdomen.
Plates cannot be repaired.
For convenience sake, all plates in a given category are considered to be of one size although in reality, sizes can range from extra small to extra large, just as vests do.
Typical weights and prices are given below and are for one plate only.
Metal Plate model I: Gives AV:2 to chest and abdomen and can suffer a reasonable amount of damage before requiring replacement (typically 6 to 8 hits by any DAM:2 smallarms before being rendered useless). Prevents user from bending over very far, forwards or back. Will turn aside most melee attacks suffering no significant damage in the process although blunt trauma will still be a problem.
Wt: 2.1kg
Price: $265 (S/C)
Metal Plate model I, Small: For Kevlar vests and concealable body armour. Gives AV:2 to chest only and can suffer a reasonable amount of damage before requiring replacement (typically 6 to 8 hits by any DAM:2 smallarms before being rendered ineffective).
Will turn aside most melee attacks suffering no significant damage in the process although blunt trauma will still be a problem.
Wt: 1.7kg
Price: $165 (S/C)
Metal Plate model II: Gives AV:3 to chest and abdomen and can suffer a reasonable amount of damage before requiring replacement (typically 6 to 8 hits by any DAM:3 smallarms before being rendered useless). Prevents user from bending over very far, forwards or back.
Will turn aside most melee attacks suffering no significant damage in the process although blunt trauma will still be a problem.
Wt: 2.3kg
Price: $325 (S/C)
Metal Plate model II, Small: For Kevlar vests and concealable body armour. Gives AV:3 to chest only and can suffer a reasonable amount of damage before requiring replacement (typically 6 to 8 hits by any DAM:3 smallarms before being rendered ineffective).
Wt: 1.9kg
Price: $225 (S/C)
Ceramic Plate model I: An early type of ceramic plate. Provides AV:3 to chest and abdomen but can only take a small number of hits before being rendered useless (typically just 1 or 2 hits from any DAM:3 smallarms). Prevents user from bending over very far, forwards or back.
Designed to crack if hit by a bullet, it will turn aside most melee attacks although after 2-3 such attacks it is likely to crack and therefore become useless.
Wt: 1.9kg
Price: $330 (R/C)
Ceramic Plate model I, Small: For Kevlar vests and concealable body armour, provides AV:3 to chest only. Can only take a small number of hits before being rendered useless (typically just 1 or 2 hits from any DAM:3 smallarms).
Designed to crack if hit by a bullet, it will turn aside most melee attacks although after 2-3 such attacks it is likely to crack and therefore become useless.
Wt: 1.6kg
Price: $220 (R/C)
Ceramic Plate model II: A later generation of plate, it provides AV4 to chest and abdomen but can only take a small number of hits before being rendered useless (around 4 hits from any DAM:4 smallarms). Prevents user from bending over very far, forwards or back.
Designed to break up in the specific area hit by a bullet but not crack, it will turn aside most melee attacks although after 6-8 such attacks it is likely to crack and therefore become useless.
Wt: 2.5kg
Price: $620 (R/C)
Ceramic Plate model II, Small: For concealable body armour or early Kevlar vests, provides AV:4 to chest only. Can only take a small number of hits before being rendered useless (around 4 hits from any DAM:4 smallarms).
Designed to break up in the specific area hit by a bullet but not crack, it will turn aside most melee attacks although after 6-8 such attacks it is likely to crack and therefore become useless.
Wt: 2.0kg
Price: $510 (R/C)
Ceramic Plate model III: An early 21st century generation plate of super hardened material. It works by been too hard to penetrate, causing the bullet to shatter when it hits the plate. Provides AV:4 to chest and abdomen. Will survive multiple strikes from DAM:4 weapons
Prevents user from bending over very far, forwards or back. Will turn aside most melee attacks suffering no significant damage in the process although blunt trauma will still be a problem.
Wt: 2.2kg
Price: $930 (R/C)
Ceramic Plate model III, Small: For concealable body armour, provides AV:4 to chest only. Will survive multiple strikes Will turn aside most melee attacks suffering no significant damage in the process although blunt trauma will still be a problem.
Wt: 1.7kg
Price: $820 (R/C)
Laminate Plate: Gives AV:3 to chest and abdomen but can suffer a reasonable amount of damage before requiring replacement (typically 6 to 8 hits by any DAM:3 smallarms). Prevents user from bending over very far, forwards or back. Will turn aside most melee attacks suffering no significant damage in the process although blunt trauma will still be a problem.
Wt: 2.0kg
Price: $290 (R/S)
Laminate Plate, Small: For Kevlar vests and concealable body armour. Gives AV:3 to chest only but can suffer a reasonable amount of damage before requiring replacement (typically 6 to 8 hits by any DAM:3 smallarms). Will turn aside most melee attacks suffering no significant damage in the process although blunt trauma will still be a problem.
Wt: 1.6kg
Price: $190 (R/S)
Ballistic Cloth: Gives AV:2 vs. smallarms to chest and abdomen and can suffer a reasonable amount of damage before requiring replacement (typically 6 to 8 hits by any DAM:2 smallarms). Gives AV:1 vs. slashing or piercing melee weapons but can only take about 3 to 4 hits from any such attack before being rendered useless.
Can be loosely folded into a smaller bundle for storage and unlike rigid armour inserts, will allow the wearer to bend over.
Wt: 1.2kg
Price: $190 (C/V)
Ballistic Cloth, Small: For concealable body armour although bulkier than a metal or ceramic plate. Gives AV:2 vs. smallarms to chest only and can suffer a reasonable amount of damage before requiring replacement (typically 6 to 8 hits by any DAM:2 smallarms). Gives AV:1 vs. slashing or piercing melee weapons but can only take about 3 to 4 hits from any such attack before being rendered useless.
Can be loosely folded into a smaller bundle for storage.
Wt: 0.5kg
Price: $190 (C/V)
Polyethylene: Gives AV:2 vs. melee or animal attacks but can only take about 6-8 hits from any such attack before being rendered ineffective (although not damaged beyond repair). Also provides AV:1 versus fragments.
Can be remoulded to make it serviceable again after suffering damage. Prevents user from bending over very far, forwards or back.
Wt: 1.5kg
Price: $160 (S/C)
Polyethylene, Small: For concealable body armour although bulkier than a metal or ceramic plate. Gives AV:2 vs. melee or animal attacks but can only take about 5 to 6 hits from any such attack before being rendered ineffective. Also provides AV:1 versus fragments.
Can be remoulded to make it serviceable again after suffering damage.
Wt: 0.8kg
Price: $110 (S/C)
Torso Side Plate, Ceramic: Protects chest and abdomen side only, to AV:4. Can only take a small number of hits before being rendered useless (around 4 hits from any DAM:4 smallarms). Prevents user from bending sideways very far. Will turn aside most melee attacks suffering no significant damage in the process although blunt trauma will still be a problem.
Wt: 1.0kg
Price: $250 (R/C)
Torso Side Plate, Ballistic Cloth: Protects chest and abdomen side only, to AV:2 against smallarms. Can only take a modest number of hits before being rendered useless (around 6 to 8 hits from any DAM:2 smallarms). Gives AV:1 vs. slashing or piercing melee weapons but can only take about 3-4 hits from any such attack before being rendered useless.
Can be loosely folded into a smaller bundle for storage and will allow wearer to bend sideways, unlike rigid armour inserts.
Wt: 0.6kg
Price: $85 (S/C)
Trauma Plate Carrier: This was initially an interim device to allow trauma plates to be used with older generation military protective vests that had no provision for fitting plates (such as the US Kevlar vest of the 1980s). It is nothing more than two large pockets suspended on shoulder straps with side straps to secure the carrier in place around the torso. The pockets place one plate on the front of the chest and one on the back. Later it was found useful by some police officers as added protection for their concealable body armour.
It can only carry the small trauma plates however. Typically found in US Woodlands camouflage although other patterns can be had.
Wt: 0.3kg
Price: $125 (R/S)

Again, any errors, crap grammar, bad research etc. etc. please post all flames/letter bombs/criticisms to T$R for killing off GDW...
err...
umm...
post below :wink:

Cheers,
Kevin

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Well, crikey! :shock:

Good work Kevin, I'm surprised at the sheer range of armour available. I might just have to turn that into a PDF or something to make it printable and available offline.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

:D Thanks Lee,
Still needs some work though and I've got more to add. I have to tidy up some of the descriptions and there's some other materials I'm trying to find out about. And at some point I'd like to include some thumbnail sized pics for a few of the items but that's much later down the track.

When I have a more polished result I can bundle it up and email it to you or I can stick it onto one of those free web hosting sites and just provide the User ID & password for you so you can grab it at your leisure.

For a brief mention of other items I'm still working on: -
Elbow & knee pads including fragmentation versions
Dragon Skin armour
Dyneema armour (so buoyant, a vest will actually float)
Spectra helmets
Spectra rigid trauma plate
Kevlar Correctional (stab resistant cloth) armour
Kevlar Protera armour

Cheers,
Kevin

It's whether I win...