Too Tough to Die?

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Linden
Darkling

Too Tough to Die?

Post by Linden »

Next scenario I run I was thinking of using a Dread Sidhe intent on causing a riot at a rock concert. Looking at the creature's stats in Dark Races I see its hit points =40/80. Anybody else think this is a bit much for a humanoid monster?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I would say it depends on your intentions. 40/80 is a lot compared with what a grizzly could take. But than…stats in DC are not meant to be compared. How is your group equipped and what do they expect? If they start shooting that long fanged thing and it just would not die they probably think it is a vampire and come up with some stupid ideas. If they are equipped with automatic shotguns it makes no difference if the thing can take some hit points more or less, it will not last very long.

I think 40/80 is okay. My players could handle it.

I would exploit the psychological opportunities this scenario offers. Having the Sidhe protected by some teenagers can give the PCs a hard time if they care for the innocent. If they don’t they still have to get rid of the bodies.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote: If they start shooting that long fanged thing and it just would not die they probably think it is a vampire and come up with some stupid ideas. If they are equipped with automatic shotguns it makes no difference if the thing can take some hit points more or less, it will not last very long.
They've encountered Bloodkin vampires on a couple of occaisions. I like the idea of them confusing the Sidhe with the trunk beasts.
Zvezda wrote:I think 40/80 is okay. My players could handle it.
I think mine could too, they're mostly tooled up with AK47s, sometimes pistols.
Zvezda wrote:I would exploit the psychological opportunities this scenario offers. Having the Sidhe protected by some teenagers can give the PCs a hard time if they care for the innocent. If they don’t they still have to get rid of the bodies.
I'd been thinking along similar lines. Specifically one or more of "the groupies" throwing themselves in the line of fire to protect "master". One PC in particular draws the line at killing innocent people. She's the moral conscience of the group, and would definitely turn the situation into a dilemma and that's fine. If they went ahead and opened fire they're no different to the monsters they're supposed to be fighting. That's how I see it anyway.

Think it's just thee and me on the forum at the moment. :wink:
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Linden wrote:I think mine could too, they're mostly tooled up with AK47s, sometimes pistols.
AKs shoud do. They outnumber the bad guys as well so they be able to deal with the situation.

Linden wrote:I'd been thinking along similar lines. Specifically one or more of "the groupies" throwing themselves in the line of fire to protect "master". One PC in particular draws the line at killing innocent people. She's the moral conscience of the group, and would definitely turn the situation into a dilemma and that's fine. If they went ahead and opened fire they're no different to the monsters they're supposed to be fighting. That's how I see it anyway.
If you have the time make sure the players know that the 'groupies' are under mind control. Make the human shild a teenager and it could become really difficult for the PCs. My players have the tendency to state: “You are surrounded by armed bastards!“ or something similar and shoot everything which does not immediately surrender or disarmes. Afterwards they start pretending the dead guys have had a fair chance…
Linden wrote:Think it's just thee and me on the forum at the moment. :wink:
Yeah looks like it. Than again, threads have more than two readers. So 'they' must be around too. :shock:
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote: If you have the time make sure the players know that the 'groupies' are under mind control. Make the human shild a teenager and it could become really difficult for the PCs.
They're going to know all right. :wink: One of the PCs in my campaign is very hardboiled, but even he'd balk at killing unarmed teenagers. Unfortunately the player I really wanted to aim this adventure at is away for two months. :( Oh well it can wait.

Zvezda wrote:“You are surrounded by armed bastards!“
Gene Hunt's ok but Jack Reganis the original and, for my money, still the best.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Linden wrote:Gene Hunt's ok but Jack Reganis the original and, for my money, still the best.
"Who are you?"
We're the Sweeney son, and we 'aven't 'ad our dinner!"
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote:
Linden wrote:Gene Hunt's ok but Jack Reganis the original and, for my money, still the best.
"Who are you?"
We're the Sweeney son, and we 'aven't 'ad our dinner!"
From the first proper episode "Ringer"*. Watched that one the other night (I got the DVD set for my birthday). The full quote is even better:

"We're the Sweeney son and we haven't had any dinner. You've kept us waiting. So unless you want a kicking you''ll tell us where the photos are."

Hard as nails or what? Surely an inspiration to all British minion hunters, and maybe even further afield.

*Also worth seeing for an uncharacteristically subtle performance from Brian Blessed.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Linden wrote:*Also worth seeing for an uncharacteristically subtle performance from Brian Blessed.
WHAAT??? SUBTLETY?!?! :D
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote:
Linden wrote:*Also worth seeing for an uncharacteristically subtle performance from Brian Blessed.
WHAAT??? SUBTLETY?!?! :D
Yes mate. Nary a raised voice, never mind shouting. I think getting the role of King Vultan in Flash Gordon was the ruination of him, as an actor anyway.

I've heard him on the radio talking about his mountain climbing exploits (including yeti encounters) and he's never less than entertaining. That seems to be a field where his extrovert personality reallys work for him.

Would he make a good DC NPC do you think? Ham actor turned explorer, finds out stuff he's not meant to know, and cheerfully talks about it on TV and radio.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Indeed, sounds like an interesting NPC. Now back to the topic: The Sweeney. Very nice stuff. I have had no idea...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:Now back to the topic: The Sweeney. Very nice stuff. I have had no idea...
If you like Ashes Too Ashes/Life on Mars you'll love The Sweeney. It's a bit dated in some respects with the flared trousers and chunky cars but in other ways it's like no time's gone by at all. There's a scene in the Brian Blessed episode where Regan and Carter are chasing some scrote through Peckham Rye station in South London. Got a mate who used to live near there until a couple of years ago and I used to get off at that station when I was visiting him. Placed looked exactly the same (i.e. what Regan would call a "karzi"). Fundamentally unchanged in nearly quarter of a century. Amazing.

Where this all fits in terms of inspiration for Dark Conspiracy is that my campaign is mostly set in London, and I try to give it that "gritty" British crime drama feel. I imagine that much of London will be the same as now but with a few tweaks; crumbling terrace houses and badly designed council estates now run by the corporations as prole and ballotman housing. The Square Mile and Canary Wharf are the preserves of the corporate elite and/or Gnomes. What's left of the middle classes cling on in the suburbs, many of which are gated to keep the scum out.

Of course the clothes and gear from 70s dramas aren't a million miles away from the retro-chic of DC (although admittedly 50s noir seems more of an influence on the game). I use a lot of Lee's GAWAG vehicles for that chunky motor vibe. Retro with an East European twist.