Prometheus

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Linden
Darkling

Prometheus

Post by Linden »

So what's the verdict then folks?

I thought it was a bit of a mess - some interesting ideas but the story such as it was seemed to be mostly an excuse for people we don't really care about to expire in spectacularly messy ways. Michael Fassbender was great though and I liked Vickers and Weyland's King Lear moment towards the end.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Re: Prometheus

Post by ReHerakhte »

I found so many connections with the lore of the Alien films (but not, however, the fourth Alien movie) and even with the lore of BladeRunner that I really enjoyed it.
I think the story works in perfectly with the title and the intent of Weyland. Which also ties in to why Mary Shelley subtitled Frankenstein as "The Modern Prometheus".
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Re: Prometheus

Post by Linden »

As with most of Ridley Scott's films it looked great and he's miles better at doing action than people like Michael Bay but I missed the sublety of Alien. Thought this was very much a film for the multiplex audience. A superior example of the breed yet far too much of it seemed predicated on a gory/explosive death every ten or fifteen minutes or so. Consequently you had characters acting in very silly ways indeed e.g. would anyone with half a brain have tried to play with the mutant snake in the vase chamber? Would you have opened the door to Sean Harris's crab walk man when he turns up out of the blue after missing for the better part of a day? If either of those situations occurred in an rpg scenario I'm sure any player character would have made a much better job of dealing with them.

Wasn't mad about the Space Jockeys being explained away as Chariots of the God style ancient astronauts. Always found that a completely preposterous idea, and given that it already got an airing (albeit in slightly different form) in the first AVP film it's more than a little cheesy. For me it destroyed the mystery and sheer bloody strangeness of the dead pilot in Alien.

I'd liked to have seen Charlize Theron as Dr Shaw (as I gather was originally intended). She'd have brought some of her trademark Aryan steeliness to what seemed a rather wet character (and she can do a proper British accent as anyone who saw her in Arrested Development will know :wink: ). Conversely Noomi Rapace is best known for being the hard boiled Elisabeth Salander and I think she'd have been suitably stone faced as Vickers.

I will probably still go and watch the sequel though, if there is one.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."