Another GDW rpg getting a new edition?

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Another GDW rpg getting a new edition?

Post by ReHerakhte »

There's talk apparently on the Twilight: 2000 facebook page about someone making a 4th edition of Twilight: 2000 (T2k).
I've had a brief series of discussions with another member of a large T2k forum who has produced new material for the 2nd edition of that game. He has friendly contact with Far Future Enterprises and found that there is truth to the claim but what he has found makes me very glad that Clockwork got DarkCon.
The current 'feel' is that the T2k 4th edition will take its design cues from another game the company involved has made. Mophidius is apparently the company and they already make a post-apoc style game called Dust. It's rules-light and quick-action-oriented. So, quick successes at the table but no long-term impact... and in my opinion, that makes the game sessions easily forgettable and leaves the game experience overall as unsatisfying.

I hope I am wrong (I REALLY, REALLY hope I'm wrong about this) but I don't hold much hope for a re-invigorated T2k, I currently feel that it's an attempt to cash in on a well known name and the fanbase that still supports it.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Re: Another GDW rpg getting a new edition?

Post by Linden »

Not quite the same thing I know but I think Paul Elliott of Zozer games is doing a Cepheus engine compatible game entitled Modern Warfare. There was some discussion of it on the company's facebook page. Might be a suitable alternative? I believe a retro-WW3 supplement is planned as well.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Although I personally would choose the GDW D20 or a D100 system over 2D6, one of the biggest factors that would influence me in regards to the Cepheus engine is that it's based on the original Traveller system (although they appear to take great pains to never mention the name).
If I wasn't using Call of Cthulhu rules or the GDW D20 system, I'd be happy enough using Cepheus over a lot of the other rules systems attempting to deal with horror, sci-fi or modern genres.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:51 am Although I personally would choose the GDW D20 or a D100 system over 2D6, one of the biggest factors that would influence me in regards to the Cepheus engine is that it's based on the original Traveller system (although they appear to take great pains to never mention the name).
Yes, I'd noticed that too! :wink: I'm not convinced Cepheus would work for horror games but I think it's got potential for modern and sci-fi certainly. I've got Zozer Games Zaibatsu and I think that gets closer to the spirit of cyberpunk than most rpgs including Talsorian's eponymous effort, GDW's belated entry via 2300AD, and Shadowrun.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."