Bits and Bobs:

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Phulish
Nome

Bits and Bobs:

Post by Phulish »

So, I'm looking through the library and remember GURPS3E's Black Ops had an interesting monster, The Cedarville Shadow. An all deep black being with yellow eyes that used a .22 pistol and killed people at night. I won't directly rip it off, but I might use something similar as a distraction or an assassin. Of course the other GDW stuff is mined a lot. What do you guys peruse?
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Re: Bits and Bobs:

Post by ReHerakhte »

I have a reasonably large library of game books that I use for inspiration. I use various GURPS books such as the Black Ops book you mentioned but also Blood Types, War Against the Chtorr, the Bio-Tech, Low-Tech & Ultra-Tech books, Covert Ops, Reign Of Steel and others that I can't remember at the moment.
I also use various books from Delta Green, Chill, Unknown Armies, Call of Cthulhu, Aftermath, Twilight: 2000, Traveller: The New Era, 2300AD, Cyberpunk 2020, Beyond The Supernatural, Torg, Kult, Millennium's End and Alternity and also Cadillacs & Dinosaurs.
I also like to browse websites dealing with local folklore, myths & legends for regions I might set a game in.

Edit: I've also got Tales From The Loop which I intend to pillage for ideas and inspiration
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

It's nice to have lists of resources.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

At the time I bought the majority of those books, I was fortunate enough to have disposable income that I could spend on hobbies.
I'm glad I got them when I did because these days, there seems to be less material being published that can be used as fodder for Dark Conspiracy (or similar games) and I also have less money to put into the "disposable income" category!

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

I do set aside money and hunt for items. buying by ones and twos.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

There is one aspect of having less disposable income - I examine far more products for useful gaming material than I used to because I only have the funds to buy one or two products compared to when I used to buy three or four at a time (and sometimes more).
When I had the money, there also seemed to be more products available that fell into the horror, conspiracy or tech genres so that I could basically walk into a game shop and find something without much effort.
I bought quite a few of them which meant there was less choice on the store shelves because I already owned most of what was displayed.

So For some time now I "cast my net further", that is to say, I look at games that I would not have thought about before.
Because of this change in thinking, I have bought games such as Cold City, Dog Town, Synthicide, Hot War and the East Texas University (ETU) setting for Savage Worlds.
I don't particularly like pulp action rules for the way I envisage Dark Conspiracy and while the ETU setting is more of a "teens in peril" style than I am interested in, it has a well developed townsite and university campus locale that I want to make use of.
It's a good illustration of how I don't particularly want the rules or even the main premise of a particular game setting, but there are definitely resources, ideas and so on within the game that are very useful.

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

The last DC game I ran I made use of the Cyberpunk 2020 rough guide to the UK. It's atrociously written but does have some good material in terms of regional settings and adventure ideas. Bought a second hand copy going for a song on ebay, I'd say I'd got my money's worth from it, and I'd use it again for a UK set DC campaign.

For adventures I've typically borrowed scenarios from Cyberpunk, Conspiracy X and Call of Cthulhu (if they're not too heavy on the old yog-sothery).
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."