More fodder for the game - mysterious disappearance near Area 51?

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

More fodder for the game - mysterious disappearance near Area 51?

Post by ReHerakhte »

I was watching some videos about mysterious disappearances and stumbled across Kenny Veach.
Veach was an American man in his forties who enjoyed solo hiking and spent a bit of time hiking in the deserts of Nevada. He also liked to explore the various caves that can be found in the region and he claimed to have found one that gave him a serious scare as he tried to enter.

Now, I've read a few articles about people in the rural regions of the US discovering mysterious caves and given all the weird and whacky claims that have been made about these caves, I've normally reacted with skeptical curiosity - I want to know more but I'm not going to believe anything without some actual proof. A number of these claims can be traced back to 'tall stories' told as entertainment in the mid-late 1800s or to hoaxes & scams from the early-mid 1900s.
With Veach, we do have a trail of information and circumstantial evidence and not much to indicate he was trying to pull a scam. He posted comments and videos on Youtube for example (under the name snakebitmcgee)
While I find the Veach story intensely interesting because of its mystery, it's the overall concept and what I found connected to his story that makes for some good game fodder.

A connection that Veach made was with another video on Youtube. In that video a man (Paul Utz) is relating information about his father who he says worked at Area 51 as a technician. The whole thing is interesting simply for the security clearance & surveillance aspects of the story but he makes a statement that his father was working on a particular device that contained "organic" components.
At one point he even says that one "technology" that his father was working on had organic components and (paraphrasing) it was almost like it had a consciousness...

Son of an Area 51 Technician video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaK5WOz3Mf4

Kenny Veach videos & articles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZwUf7TiljY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJofm9DsIy4
https://boredomtherapy.com/kenny-veach-missing-hiker/
http://www.messagetoeagle.com/unexplain ... da-desert/
https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMyst ... nny_veach/

And there was this comment posted to the video linked below about Kenny's mysterious cave (posted three weeks ago as of 22Aug19
READ BELOW before watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2VpNmvwRSM

This video will waste about two hours of your life unless you enjoy somebody traipsing around the Nevada desert faffing on 'stream-of-conciousness' style. It finally starts to relate to Kenny Veach at the 43:20 minute mark but devolves into the usual conspiracy-theory waffle.
However he does mention some of the negative crap that Kenny faced from the social media sharks demanding proof of the cave and then gets into some more likely scenarios about Kenny's disappearance. He stops talking about Kenny around the 49 minute mark.
He finally gets to where he believes Kenny's cave is at the 58:50 mark and then starts to waffle on about how it's been covered over. I'm not convinced that the location he examines is where Kenny's video was filmed.

But I do not recommend watching this video, the guy starts to suffer from the heat later in the video due to the temperature being around 39C - 102F degrees coupled with the exertion of hiking in mountainous desert terrain. He doesn't appear to drink much during the video and then when he goes to leave he starts to feel sick, he does mention later that he drank a half gallon of water (approx 1.9 litres) which to me is not enough for the amount of activity he's doing in that heat.
To me it's a classic case of over-exertion in a hot environment, not eating any food and not maintaining decent levels of hydration. To him it's something "other", maybe a psychic attack or such like. To me, what he's suffering from is heat stress & dehydration and no sense of reality. He finally decides that "it could be dehydration" at the 1:19:25 mark but he destroys common sense by believing that it's awfully coincidental that it happened after he had spent hours hiking into the foothills and back.
Having said all that the comment below, posted to this video, IS worth reading.

0x07AF
3 weeks ago
Dude… I just had one of those rare, ‘mind blown’ moments that literally makes the hairs on your body stand on end. I never made a connection until now, thanks to your current M-Cave theory. I have an old buddy who claimed an eeeeerily similar situation happened sometime in the 1980’s. It’s been at least 15 years since I heard this story, but I think I remember it pretty well.

He was hiking with his friend on a mountain in a remote and rugged area of California. They ended up finding what looked like some kind of exhaust vent coming out of a moderate slope on the side of this mountain. This spot was a rough hike to get to, and the vent thing wasn’t easy to see until you got right on it. They were perplexed. There was no indication of anything else industrial anywhere in the area for miles and miles… Like, why is this thing here?? They ended up doing what the rest of us would probably do - they climbed up and crawled into it as far back as they could. They eventually reached a drop and felt around in the dark but couldn’t tell how deep it went. He said the way their voice echoed it sounded huge.
They didn't try to go further.

A week later they returned with flashlights and rappelling gear. He said the drop was some 30 or 40 feet into what looked like a long abandoned office / workshop room. They went through a door and walked down a corridor which opened up into some enormous facility. A laboratory of some kind that was decades old, with odd machines, test equipment… clipboards with notes still written on them. What else are you gonna do in that situation but explore the hell out of it!? They did, for hours. The place was so huge that they couldn’t explore all of it in one day. They never saw where any other entrances or exits were, but there must have been some big ones somewhere to build the place and get all of that equipment in. When they left, he took a large "cool looking" component with him that resembled something like a hybrid between a vacuum tube and those old high current mercury arc rectifiers.

They made plans to go back and explore again, but they made the mistake of discussing their discovery with friends over the CB radio… at least that’s what he thinks happened. He said they went back to explore again a month later and the vent was GONE. Not only was it gone, but there was almost no sign that anything was ever there. When they inspected closer, he said it appeared that they tore it out and back-filled the hole with concrete before covering the spot with dirt and rocks to make it look natural.

He eventually threw out the vacuum tube that he took from the place after discovering it was radioactive. I can’t imagine it still being THAT radioactive, but this guy had an electrical engineering background and was also an enormous science, HAM radio, and tech nerd.. I guess it was enough radiation to spook him. He wondered if that was why they abandoned the place and left everything there as if folks just clocked-out from work one day and never came back.

So, Kenny mentioning what he found on the internet. My buddy talking about his find with friends on the CB radio. Rough and Isolated mountain locations in the desert, miles from anything. Disappearing entrances. I’m equal parts intrigued and spooked.
Last edited by ReHerakhte on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Re: More fodder for the game - mysterious disappearance near Area 51?

Post by Linden »

Sounds a bit like one of those places in the UK where the government would decamp to in the event of a nuclear war. I think Corsham near Bath was one? Although, as the playright David Rudkin point out in one of his 1970s dramas, how did the denizens of Westminster expect to travel the 100+ miles necessary to reach shelter in the time given by the four minute warning? Unless they were already there of course. That sort of thing perhaps more suited to Hot War.

In DC land I suppose we're talking secret alien/government/corporate base? Making Moreau Weres perhaps?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Re: More fodder for the game - mysterious disappearance near Area 51?

Post by ReHerakhte »

And this is what attracted me to the whole circus, there is such an abundance of material for gaming in the one package - mysterious disappearances of people, caves that seem to have disappeared, locations that apparently have strange effects on humans, talk of secret bases in the middle of nowhere, strange technology, insinuations of creating an AI, government surveillance, people who appear to have more wealth than their job would normally award, independent investigations by individuals, talk of pyschic powers, inferences of aliens and so on.

This is almost a complete adventure in itself!
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...