A Question a Day #1 - Favourite Dark Conspiracy Supplement

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

A Question a Day #1 - Favourite Dark Conspiracy Supplement

Post by Marcus Bone »

Hi All,

I'm going to be posting a question a day on the site, to see if I can ramp up the traffic! I hope to go on to produce 20 questions in total for the month of July. So let's get started!

What is your favourite Dark Conspiracy Supplement? Why? Tell us a little bit about your thoughts about it - where and when you first got it, what you've used it for, etc.
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Re: A Question a Day #1 - Favourite Dark Conspiracy Supplement

Post by Marcus Bone »

My favourite supplement is a toss-up really - between Ice Daemon and Among the Dead.

Now that might seem a little odd given that I've not particularly given either a rousing review, but taken as a whole, I believe that these two scenarios reflect what I think the DC reality would really be like.

The funny thing is, that while I've run Ice Daemon a couple of times, I've only once GMed Among the Dead (and that was only to the end of Chapter 1). Still, in my mind the 'no-so-normal' world these scenarios provide are inspiring to my own writing, both in the DC Universe and beyond.

So how did I come across these products? I can't quite remember to be honest. I'm guessing that I got Among the Dead via the bulk purchase I go when a local distributor went under in 92 or 3, I pretty much got ever DC product in that order at the sort of price you find the book on ebay today. As for Ice Daemon, I was running a short DC campaign around that time, and I think I grabbed it then via a post catalogue... but I can't quite remember to be honest.

interestingly, during my attempts are republished DC (back in '06) Ice Daemon was the scenario I converted to the test rule set I'd written, and ran a compressed version a number of times with friends and con goers. I also love the folio style of this adventure, and it is a format I've replicated in my own DC adventures (none of which I've actually released into the wild).

So what about you? Do you agree with my selection or do you have your own favourites?

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

I would usually just pick the Empathic Sourcebook but now that I think about it, I reckon I too would pick Ice Daemon and Among the Dead and for exactly the same reasons you stated Marcus.
Although I will admit that New Orleans is pretty close up there as well and again because I think it reflects the DC reality very well.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

For adventures I also have to go with Among The Dead. I have always felt like it was DC's attempt at something like the classic Cthulhu adventures such as Masks of Nyarlothotep, and while it doesn't quite make it to those heights there's plenty in there to flesh out the DC1 world. As for sourcebooks it's the Empathic Guide because it added so much to that side of the game, before that it was pretty much down to the referee to describe effects.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
TMac

Post by TMac »

I'm gonna go with the "PC Booster Kit".

Character creation is one of my favorite things, and it's frequently how I teach myself the basis of a new RPG system. Expansions to character backgrounds and additional classes made me happy back in the day. Looking at early childhood (e.g.: the 'street urchin' career) added a new dimension and allowed me to create a few kid backgrounds of my own. If you start way back when the kid is really still young, the backstory possibilities bloom like mad.
Writer, author, creator of strangeness. www.tmikemccurley.com
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Just wanted to say welcome to new forum member "TMac" - pretty sure we know each other from elsewhere on the interwebs huh? 8)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
TMac

Post by TMac »

Morthrai wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:05 pm Just wanted to say welcome to new forum member "TMac" - pretty sure we know each other from elsewhere on the interwebs huh? 8)
It is quite possible, yes! :D
Writer, author, creator of strangeness. www.tmikemccurley.com
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

"Protodimensions" - not for the unwieldy bolt on rules relating to gate dampening and dimensional discontinuities, but for the various strange realms it presents. I've not made extensive use of it in play but hope some time to run a scenario in Gothic with the PCs chased through the endless castle halls by unstoppable Terminator style suits of armour. The Lost Colony scenario strikes me as pretty good too, especially the hints that something's not quite right - colonists wearing baseball hats...hmmm.

Soft spot for "Dark Races" as well. Not a big fan of monster manuals but the original DC could do with a few more creatures and there were some good ones in DR - the Bhuta - phew! We didn't need all those Gargoyles and Gremlins though. Also, why did the empathic monsters with similar powers attack using different mechanics? I suspect GDW's editors weren't giving the DC line their full attention. Shame.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."