The Dark Times Fanzine

A forum for discussing both the new The Dark Times modern conspiracy horror fanzine and the now defunct Protodimension fanzine.
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

The Dark Times Fanzine

Post by Marcus Bone »

I'm happy to announce that DCtRPG.info is now the host for The Dark Times, a new modern conspiracy horror RPG fanzine run by our own Lee Williams!

While still in the embryonic stage, the main site now reflects it's new guest with a bit of an update to the navigation. More will surely follow!

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: The Dark Times Fanzine

Post by Morthrai »

Thankyou Marcus for the generous offers of help and for hosting the DTF site along with DCtRPG and the forums - this is fast becoming horror-conspiracy-weirdness gaming's hub :twisted:
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Great! :D Now onward!
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Ironically, the title for The Dark Times also seems to reflect the state of affairs for every relaunch of Dark Conspiracy so far... or maybe I'm reading too much into it :P :lol:
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

ReHerakhte wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 pm Ironically, the title for The Dark Times also seems to reflect the state of affairs for every relaunch of Dark Conspiracy so far... or maybe I'm reading too much into it :P :lol:
That's exactly why we are really going to go for it - as a fanzine that's no longer tied to a version of the game we have got nothing to lose from now on :D It's all about the fan content so get writing!
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:07 am
ReHerakhte wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 pm Ironically, the title for The Dark Times also seems to reflect the state of affairs for every relaunch of Dark Conspiracy so far... or maybe I'm reading too much into it :P :lol:
That's exactly why we are really going to go for it - as a fanzine that's no longer tied to a version of the game we have got nothing to lose from now on :D It's all about the fan content so get writing!
Just a thought, but maybe drop the mention of "conspiracy" horror and just make it "modern horror"? Sever the connection completely then and also doesn't suggest that material is limited to a particular narrow sub-genre. Not everyone likes Delta Green, or X-Files style UFO cover up craziness.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

That's a fair point actually Linden. We can keep on supporting that genre but maybe we should push the other aspects up-front.

Nice one! 8)
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

I was just thinking, it's a fairly niche hobby we're engaged in (gaming) and horror's a niche of that. Do we need to be anymore niche? My feeling is not. :)
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

That's a good point Linden, I can see that it would also give the ezine a greater flexibility when it comes to sourcing submissions.

I also have a question for all of you in regards to the ceasation of the PD ezine and my article in the last issue.
I was wondering if it would be okay or if it would be bad form to submit my Zone article for the first issue of The Dark Times? Specifically because I had planned to write some follow up articles and it would appear that this is not possible for the foreseeable future now that PD has ceased.

I want to avoid the hassle for readers of having to try and find the last issue of PD (seeing that the download page has been shut down) just to read the introductory article. I personally don't see anything negative about submitting the same article to a number of magazines but as Linden mentioned, we're already a small percentile in the hobby world and it's highly likely that people getting The Dark Times had been reading Protodimensions, so some folk may feel it's overkill?

Perhaps adding a note saying that the article first appeared in PD or something to that affect?

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

I'd suggest it's down to Lee to give the final verdict but I'd say do it i.e. submit the original article for Dark Times. My reasoning would be that if you're planning on making it a series it's not ideal for readers to be looking for part 1 in a defunct mag that's difficult to obtain. Also if we're trying to go beyond niche-niche-niche to just niche-niche possibly we can't count on people having seen it already?
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

Given PDM's limited availability, and the fact that you retain all the rights to your work, I suggest you submit it. Probably works even better as Lee and I have been discussing having multiple types of submissions - some web based, some pdf and even some both...

No decisions yet on this, but the dynamic nature of the site (as a Wordpress install) allows for some cool, easy to use functionality like this.

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Cheers for the responses everyone,
I personally felt there would not be anything particularly bad about doing so but I thought some input from other people was needed to balance my own bias towards the idea!

It's whether I win...
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Lee, I've sent you an email with part two of my "Australia for DC" ideas. I couldn't find any official email for the submissions, is there one available and I'm having a dumb moment and can't find it? :oops:

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

ReHerakhte wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 am Lee, I've sent you an email with part two of my "Australia for DC" ideas. I couldn't find any official email for the submissions, is there one available and I'm having a dumb moment and can't find it? :oops:
Message received as you already know 8) The official email addreess is this one:

darktimesfanzineATgmailDOTcom
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Morthrai wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:05 pm
ReHerakhte wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 am Lee, I've sent you an email with part two of my "Australia for DC" ideas. I couldn't find any official email for the submissions, is there one available and I'm having a dumb moment and can't find it? :oops:
Message received as you already know 8) The official email addreess is this one:

darktimesfanzineATgmailDOTcom
Yes indeed :D With a little more research and a lot more emphasis on getting everything written before the next submission deadline, I am hoping part 3 will actually be available for you weeks before the deadline and not one day before, like this one was! :oops:

It's whether I win...