What's In a Name?

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Morthrai
Site Admin

What's In a Name?

Post by Morthrai »

Hi all,

I am in the very early stages of planning a new gaming-related magazine and right now I don't have a title for it. It will again be a free-to-download fan-created publication covering several different systems, similar to Protodimension and dear ol' Demonground, but a decent name still eludes me! :?

Anybody have any suggestions?
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Morthrai
Site Admin

Re: What's In a Name?

Post by Morthrai »

An early candidate for a name: The Myriad Times. As far as I can tell it's not been used for a publication of any type before, and it lends itself to sounding like an actual local paper for a town called Myriad as well as having the meaning of "many times and places".

Thoughts?
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Actually I like that a lot - I'm a sucker for (almost) anything that has some deeper level beyond the surface and "myriad" fits that quite nicely.
Plus when it comes to being abbreviated for typing (like we do with DC, DG, PD and I do with CD - Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, another GDW game using the same rules system as DC and T2k), it fits in with the two letter form that we've already been using - or three if you include T2k for Twilight: 2000 and use TMT for The Myriad Times :D
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

The name seems to fit the concept.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

The Myriad Times is good. The only other alternative that jumps out at me is Strange Days. Already the title of a DC-ish film though.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Still working through a few things behind the scenes at the moment, but there will be definitely be something coming out of all this plotting - stay tuned folks 8)
Lee Williams.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

I had a thought the other day about the title Sub Rosa but it's probably too uncommon a phrase these days and a little too esoteric for many people to realize a connection to DC.
For those unfamiliar with the term, it translates literally as "under the rose" and is a phrase to denote secrets/secrecy/things done in secret/pledges to secrecy. Wiki has a brief article on the origins of the term here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_rosa
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

ReHerakhte wrote:I had a thought the other day about the title Sub Rosa but it's probably too uncommon a phrase these days and a little too esoteric for many people to realize a connection to DC.
For those unfamiliar with the term, it translates literally as "under the rose" and is a phrase to denote secrets/secrecy/things done in secret/pledges to secrecy. Wiki has a brief article on the origins of the term here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub_rosa
I like it too, however it is already the name of a Conspiracy X supplement...
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Marcus Bone wrote:
ReHerakhte wrote:I had a thought the other day about the title Sub Rosa...
I like it too, however it is already the name of a Conspiracy X supplement...
Currently the front runner for a "new" title is Dark Times which has been used before, and is also relatively common in different places around the web and offline. I promised I'd go with the fan vote, but of the main options it's actually my least favourite. :?
Lee Williams.
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

I think it sounds all right - and seems to be what you've gone with? Unless it's just a working title?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Linden wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:35 pm I think it sounds all right - and seems to be what you've gone with? Unless it's just a working title?
Yes, we have gone with the full title of The Dark Times Fanzine, or DTF for short. Instead of just picking a title I stuck to the popular vote as promised, and DTF was by far the most popular. People power and all that :D

We already have explicit permissions from several publishers to cover their games, and have notified the publishers who have more flexible "Fair Use" policies out of common courtesy. Now we need to round up some material :)
Lee Williams.