New or Old Products

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Reviving this old Chestnut...

Post by Marcus Bone »

I think the key to making Dark Conspiracy work as an interesting and different game system is to 'hint' at what lies beyond reality, and allow the individual Referees (and their players) to determine what's really going on.

In some ways I’ve always wanted DC to be the fan's game; a universe where the conspiracies that interest the players will become priority. As part of this, I'd really like to see a wide range of products produced for the game, each of which would not only explore a different aspect of the setting and play style of DC, but also allow the Referees and players to bend it to match their expectations of 'Conspiracy Horror', and in turn creating a campaign or setting they can truly call their own.

That was something I always found slightly disappointing about the campaigns/adventures produced for 1st Edition, they always 'felt' too much like somebody else's horror to me. This was a shame after reading the post-modern horror styling presented in Mike Stackpole's trilogy of DC novels.

3rd Edition wants, no needs, to get away from this generic bland horror and demonstrate to its current and potential players just want a great game it can become. This is why I suppose I keep on asking for you, the fans, to contribute your material to the website, as it is only by opening the game up to all of you can we create the game setting really DC deserves.

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Braxen

Re: Reviving this old Chestnut...

Post by Braxen »

Marcus Bone wrote:I think the key to making Dark Conspiracy work as an interesting and different game system is to 'hint' at what lies beyond reality, and allow the individual Referees (and their players) to determine what's really going on.

In some ways I’ve always wanted DC to be the fan's game; a universe where the conspiracies that interest the players will become priority. As part of this, I'd really like to see a wide range of products produced for the game, each of which would not only explore a different aspect of the setting and play style of DC, but also allow the Referees and players to bend it to match their expectations of 'Conspiracy Horror', and in turn creating a campaign or setting they can truly call their own.

That was something I always found slightly disappointing about the campaigns/adventures produced for 1st Edition, they always 'felt' too much like somebody else's horror to me. This was a shame after reading the post-modern horror styling presented in Mike Stackpole's trilogy of DC novels.

3rd Edition wants, no needs, to get away from this generic bland horror and demonstrate to its current and potential players just want a great game it can become. This is why I suppose I keep on asking for you, the fans, to contribute your material to the website, as it is only by opening the game up to all of you can we create the game setting really DC deserves.

Marcus
I have always tried to keep things in the dark for as long as possible and only give a candles worth of illumination at best until the end of a campaign. This seemed to work well in creating a tense mood throughout the campaign.

I have all of the pre-made material for the earlier edition but to be honest the only one that I ran was the Nightsider module. As you mentioned I felt like I was playing someone else's idea of horror.

How do we get away from bland generic Horror? Is there a specific type of horror that you have in mind for this edition?

For me horror is taking an idea from say Lovecraft and expand upon it. Slasher type of ideas are ok *yawn* but they lack any class, style, or just plain depth. I dont mind a good zombie hunting scenario every now and again but for a campaign *yawn* it would be rather dull for me.
"Hey guys did you hear that scraping sound? guys? GUYS?!"

Braxen
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I used all of the published stuff (besides new orleans with I don't own) but with extensive modifications. As long as the module has a rather interesting story it can be used. I even run several T2K scenarios (again modivied and set in master Lee's English Civilwar). Why do you think that 'generic' is that bad? DC is totally 90ies with all that 'Grey' and 'x-files' stuff. But since nothing is a must (not even empathy at all!) in DC it can be used for every kind of game.