Protodimension Issue #19 has escaped!

A forum for discussing both the new The Dark Times modern conspiracy horror fanzine and the now defunct Protodimension fanzine.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Protodimension Issue #19 has escaped!

Post by Morthrai »

Hi folks, I would just like to take a moment to let people know that Issue #19 of Protodimension Magazine is live and ready for download! Apart from the usual mixture of content there's also a miniSix exploration of hard-boiled British coppers, courtesy of Linden Dunham :)

http://www.protodimension.com/zine
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Re: Protodimension Issue #19 has escaped!

Post by Linden »

This looks absolutely mega. Got visitors this weekend but look forward to leafing through it once they've departed.

Nice pics in my adventure. Think the bloke with the SLR is from a Special Branch episode?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Linden wrote:Nice pics in my adventure. Think the bloke with the SLR is from a Special Branch episode?
After seeing the Lewis Collins pic, I thought the SLR bloke might have been from "The Professionals" as I've seen them used in that show a few times.
Can't say I've seen "Special Branch" but if it's anything like "The Sweeney" or "The Professionals", I think I'd enjoy it.

And great work on your adventure Linden, very comprehensive and the "trade" lingo used throughout brought back fond memories of the above mentioned TV shows as did the Elvis Costello reference.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Linden wrote:Nice pics in my adventure. Think the bloke with the SLR is from a Special Branch episode?

Yep, that was from Special Branch :)

I had great fun choosing the pics, in fact there were loads more but those were the ones that Norm selected. I guess being American let him see the ones that suited best.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:
Can't say I've seen "Special Branch" but if it's anything like "The Sweeney" or "The Professionals", I think I'd enjoy it.

It's sort of like a prototype for both shows. Euston Films developed their minimal logistics, on-location shooting techniques in series 3/4 of Special Branch (it had previously been a studio bound affair with a different cast). They went on to use the same methods with great success in The Sweeney and much of the crew were subsequently engaged to jazz up the Professionals from series 2 onwards.

Special Branch can seem quite pedestrian and dated now but it's interesting as a precursor of what was to come and series leads George Sewell and Patrick Mower make a passable double act. Mower epitomises British 70s tv, especially in his latter day medallion man persona.

Glad you liked the adventure. I can see one or two flaws in it reading it a few months later but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, and it looks great in the mag.
Last edited by Linden on Fri May 09, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

A precursor to those two? Interesting! And interesting to see that the cast went on to those shows as well.

Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe not, but I miss the overall standard & entertainment value of British tv series from the 1960s-70s compared to what's on offer today.
While some might appear a bit "cringe-worthy" today, there's a lot of shows from that time that I'm a fan of, from kids shows to adult fare e.g. Dr Who, The Tomorrow People, Blake's 7, Thunderbirds, UFO, The Prisoner, Rumpole of the Bailey, Survivors and of course The Sweeney and the Professionals.

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:

Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe not, but I miss the overall standard & entertainment value of British tv series from the 1960s-70s compared to what's on offer today.
While some might appear a bit "cringe-worthy" today, there's a lot of shows from that time that I'm a fan of, from kids shows to adult fare e.g. Dr Who, The Tomorrow People, Blake's 7, Thunderbirds, UFO, The Prisoner, Rumpole of the Bailey, Survivors and of course The Sweeney and the Professionals.

I think in the best shows the ideas shone through even when the production values were cheap and cheerful. Gerry Anderson's stuff usually looked pretty good though, the model effects hold up fairly well even today. I prefer them to a lot of the rather cartoonish CGI we see in modern productions.

Still on the subject of shows from yesteryear looking forward to watching Children of the Stones some time soon.
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

I thought I had heard of Children of the Stones but upon researching the show I know I haven't actually seen it (but it still sounds familiar so it was probably aired in Australia at some time, I just didn't see it).

I'm quite interested in viewing the show as it happens to work in with a game scenario I was trying to devise.
Apparently it's been released on DVD on two separate occasions so I might even be able to find it locally!
So thanks Linden, for making mention of the show and jogging my memory :)

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

I think Children of the Stones is one of those shows that's seeped into the group unconsciousness of people of a certain age. I don't think I ever watched it but I've heard so much about it I feel as if I have. The motifs of an ancient stone circle, strange village and cosmic influence seem ripe for adapting to an RPG scenario. It even sounds a bit Dark Conspiracy - perhaps the village is a Protodimension?