Hmmmm.....

A forum for discussing both the new The Dark Times modern conspiracy horror fanzine and the now defunct Protodimension fanzine.
Phulish
Nome

Hmmmm.....

Post by Phulish »

Has anyone started work on weapons or gear, then found out Paul Mulcahy's site already has it. :( I was able to find some items not in the massive database. But I had to laugh when my baker's dozen shrank considerably. I wanted to supply something fresh for submission.
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Re: Hmmmm.....

Post by Marcus Bone »

link?
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Phulish wrote:Has anyone started work on weapons or gear, then found out Paul Mulcahy's site already has it.

Yes, often :D

http://www.pmulcahy.com/

Actually it's a great resource. I once contacted Paul directly to see if we could use a couple of things and he very politely refused, with good reasons. This means that now, if I need to write something up, I always check to make certain that I haven't inadvertantly written exactly what he has :P
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

Yep, that was my problem, and he's got quite a headstart on gear writeups :shock:
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

My next project didn't have the exact models, Paul's site did, so I submitted it. :D
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

My advice would be to do whatever gear you want anyway simply because I have found that the ideas of what the stats would be can vary quite a lot between different people.

I've used Paul's site as a point of reference but I've usually figured out my own stats. If they happen to mirror his, all nice and well. Obviously there are a few physical traits that remain constant (such as ammunition type for weapons and so on) but many times there have been differences between what he thinks and what I think the various stats should be.
One example is weapon bulk. He has a maximum limit that I don't use. Instead I figured the basics of GDWs sizing chart and expanded it.

So I would say, do your weapons/gear anyway. If they happen to mirror the examples found on Paul's site, it happens but you didn't deliberately set out to copy his work. However... he hasn't submitted anything for DC and so his cost and availability codes are of no use for DC what so ever. So what you are doing is creating some stats that are similar (or even the same) except for the important part regarding cost and availability.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

Post by Phulish »

I used the GDW formula. The caliber was common, but barrel length affects the range stat. If they decide to add my stuff to the summer issue, it will be nice.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

There really isn't a wide variation for similar weapons using either the guidelines from T2K2 or running through the full sequence from Fire Fusion & Steel. As long as we aren't copying Paul or anyone else's material then it's all good.

A shame he turned us down when I approached him about DCIII but I really do understand his reasons, and of course we can use his material in our own games :D
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"