Protodimension Magazine Issue 14 now available

A forum for discussing both the new The Dark Times modern conspiracy horror fanzine and the now defunct Protodimension fanzine.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Protodimension Magazine Issue 14 now available

Post by Morthrai »

Greetings once again.

Just to let you know that Protodimension Magazine issue 14 is now available. We have the usual mix of adventures, locations, fiction and even poetry to hopefully inspire your horror-conspiracy-weirdness gaming.

Download your copy for free from the usual place:

http://www.protodimension.com/zine/

Cheers!
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Re: Protodimension Magazine Issue 14 now available

Post by Linden »

The Howling Frontier looks like a bit of a corker. I haven't played 1920s CoC for a long time, very tempted to run this with my group though.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Linden wrote:The Howling Frontier looks like a bit of a corker. I haven't played 1920s CoC for a long time, very tempted to run this with my group though.

Don't forget that's only part one, part two is under way (in fact it's almost done already, just needs a sprinkling of fairy dust!)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

To quote Master Yoda: "very impressed I am young Skywalker!"
Руки Вверх!
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Quite a good collection in this issue. Particularly liked The Gate Of Socotra (and desperately want to use it sometime soon!)
I generally liked The Badlands proto-dimension article probably because it reminded me of my Dust proto-dimension from a few issues back.
However...
I do have a request. Could we get some clarification on one of the adventure seeds, specifically the one titled "Makuru"?

First off, apologies if this sounds like a geography and/or climate lesson, that's not my intent :oops:

It appears that the researchers have blurred between Perth, Western Australia (Perth, WA) and Perth, Scotland (Perth, Sc) because the Crieff & Methven Railway is located in Scotland and not Australia. Also Perth, WA generally experiences a Mediterranean type climate and doesn't normally suffer the types of cold spell required for the train derailment.
While August 1892 experienced 10 degrees Celsius, the lowest recorded temp after that was 1.3C on 11th May 1914 (and again, 1.3C on 24th May 2012) but the coldest temperature experienced in Perth, WA was -0.7C on 17th June 2006 - still not enough for snow and ice because of our location right on the Indian Ocean :(

We have had snow in Western Australia during the above mentioned cold spell and during other unseasonably cold winters but it's generally confined to the Stirling Range, a mountain range near the town of Mount Barker. Unfortunately this range is located some 400km south-east of Perth.

I thought perhaps the writers were trying to get a time/space anomaly kind of link between Perth, WA and Perth, Sc as the aboriginals sought their revenge on Stirling's descendants but there just wasn't enough explanation in the paragraph. Is this notion correct, that the aboriginals sought to destroy Stirling's offspring, not just through time but also half a world away?
Particularly given the synchronicity of snow in the Stirling Range (yes, named for THAT Stirling) and the greater chance of snowy winters in Scotland.

Also, for those of you who aren't fortunate enough to live in Perth, WA like me :P , the title Makuru doesn't appear to connect in any way to the adventure seed - until you find out it's part of local indigenous weather knowledge and means the 'cold & wet' part of the year which is also the fertility season for many animals and plants. Which seems a particularly potent time of the year for the dead to come back to life to exact their revenge - unfortunately Aussie winter season is summer season in Scotland so this really screws up my line of thinking here :cry:

Or maybe they were able to cross not just time and space but seasons also?
Or maybe I'm trying to make links where there aren't any? :?

And one other clarification for anyone looking for Perth, Australia, there is also a town called Perth in Tasmania, which is on the other side of the continent about 4000km away!
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Morthrai wrote:Don't forget that's only part one, part two is under way (in fact it's almost done already, just needs a sprinkling of fairy dust!)

Indeed, looking forward to it already.

Birdland reminded me of Aepyornis Island by HG Wells, a tragi-comic tale of a man shipwrecked with only a baby terror bird for company.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."