Megacorp hires-neo nazis to threaten workforce

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

Megacorp hires-neo nazis to threaten workforce

Post by Zvezda »

Could be a great Tabloid headline in DC. Unfortunately it is not. I always thought that naming a security service HESS just to make it look more sinister is a very cheap way for a novelist. It seems the Real World does not care to much. Though the firm denies the claim that it is named after Rudolf Hess it is somewhat funny that it's internet location is not hensel-security but hess-security.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Re: Megacorp hires-neo nazis to threaten workforce

Post by Linden »

You all forgot about Rudolf Hess.

He was something of a marginal figure though wasn't he, even by Nazi standards? I read Christopher Priest's The Separation a few years back in which he mounts a coup against Hitler and becomes Fuhrer in an alternative reality where Nazi Germany never became involved in a protracted war with the Western Allies. An interesting story but not really credible given that he was something of an an oddball with no real powerbase compared to the likes of Goering, Himmler or Heydrich. Unless perhaps he had occult help?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Hell, Joy Division! Havn't heard them in ages. As for Hess, he is very popular amongst neo-nazis in Germany. That is, because he was a marginal figure. He was not sentenced to death and can be portrayed as a victim...many claim that he did not commit suicide but was assassinated by the SAS. Anyways...What I particularly love about German neo-nazis is their complete separation form nazi history. They worship Hitler and Himmler as the head of the SS. Though if either of them would return form Neuschwabenland they would be in some trouble. Himmler was sentenced to death for high treason in the last gasp of the Reich and lost his job as head of the SS.

A Hess led Putsch? Not too credible. It depends on the time and circumstances. It was not only abroad that he was perceived as the first lady of the Reich. He would have needed a direct link to one of the great cold ones to gain enough occult help to stay in power. The war against the west on the other hand would have been inevitable. Then however I have no idea how Priest solves this problem. And it really does not matter as long as the story is good.

Having talked about nazis and history without much connection to the game I have something you might like. It is the Fichte-Bunker. A very impressive 19th century gas holder which was used as a bunker in WWII. So far so common. However, after the war the building was used as allied prison. It seems that it was somewhat secretive because there is not too much information about this period and what went on there. A useful addition to cold city I hope.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:

A Hess led Putsch? Not too credible. It depends on the time and circumstances. It was not only abroad that he was perceived as the first lady of the Reich. He would have needed a direct link to one of the great cold ones to gain enough occult help to stay in power. The war against the west on the other hand would have been inevitable. Then however I have no idea how Priest solves this problem. And it really does not matter as long as the story is good.

Like most of Priest's books it's a good read until the final chapter where it falls apart (quite possibly on purpose - for the life of me I still can't figure out the end of his novel The Glamour, and the last chapter of The Prestige is a real stinker). It appears to take place in at least two overlapping realities with Hess's flight to Scotland as the key divergent event. In one reality (and possibly more) his peace mission is a success. Britain and Germany reach a truce leaving the Third Reich, now led by Hess, free to devote all its resources to attacking the Soviet Union. I think that's at least partly consistent with Hess's beliefs, he was an unrepentant Nazi. Him deposing Hitler doesn't seem credible though due to his lack of a powerbase and I gather he was devoted to the Fuhrer. Compare with Heydrich who aired the idea of getting rid of Hitler if he continued to make a mess of things. There's all sorts of strange rumours around Hess e.g. the Spandau double theory. He was quite into the occult side of Nazism as well so I'm sure people with a yen to include him in Delta Green or something similar could do so without too much effort.

The bunker looks interesting. Shall have a read of that.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."