[Introduction] What This Game Is... And What It Isn't

This forum is for the discussion of any topic you want to discuss - from other RPGS through to events in the world at large.
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

[Introduction] What This Game Is... And What It Isn't

Post by Marcus Bone »

Welcome to Future Dawns. Utilising the V6 system, as previously seen in Radioactive Ape Designs’ Atomic Highway RPG, it presents a framework for creating your own modern conspiracy horror games.

It should be stated up front that this book avoids telling you, the Game Master and Players, how to run your game or even how to roleplay; there is no ‘What is Roleplaying’ section here. This is an intentional oversight, both because there are numerous other roleplaying games that do this already (once again see Atomic Highway as an example), and it is likely you have picked up this game already having an understanding of roleplaying and what is involved in creating fun gaming experience.

WHAT IS A FRAMEWORK APPROACH?
Well, quite simply that this game looks to simply present a comprehensive set of mechanics – focused around the conspiracy horror concepts, of course - and then hands it over to you to do the fun bit – create your own modern conspiracy horror setting. That’s right; you’ll find no pre determined setting in Future Dawns.

The authors of this game believe that all conspiracy horror should be as unique as the people around the game table, and that as a group you can create something darker and more horrifying than we ever could. That said it would be thoughtless of us to throw this set of mechanics at you and expect you to suddenly be playing. This book is specifically structured to help you determine your own world of secrets and paranoia as part of the shared experience at the table.

The first, and most important, is the process of creating your setting. This is intentionally the first section of this book, before character creation and any mechanics are discussed. Finding a consensus on what the world is like, defining its heroes and threats is an experience all the players should be involved in. It should be a shared experience, as if nothing else this initial discussion will lend more to the player’s understanding of the setting than any written description ever could.

Equally, however, this creation should not be a laborious task, and it has been found that with less than half-a-dozen focused questions an entire world can unfold before your eyes.

The second aspect is creating appropriate characters – or as they are known in Future Dawns, the Awakened. For everyone to enjoy the adventures, all of the protagonists must be able to contribute something to the story, and in turn have their own period in the limelight. This can only happen, if everyone is aware of what is expected from the setting, and have taken the effort to create a character that matches the concepts on the table. Of course, this is sometimes easier said than done, and as such, where possible the authors have attempted to provide as many triggers as possible for inspiring useful and appropriate characters.

So there is, the framework in its barest terms. For some this approach might not be to your liking, and you may even decide right now that is game is not for you. For others, we hope that it is as inspirational as we hope, and that you will read on to learn more.

A NOTE ON THE V6 SYSTEM
Future Dawns uses the V6 system (under licence from Radioactive Ape Games). This system, using only 6 sided (standard gaming) dice, prompts a fast, cinematic style of play, one that goes well with a game that focuses on action and discovery in a world of hidden conspiracies and unrelenting horror. For more information on this system and the other fantastic V6 driven roleplaying games see XXX.

ABOUT THIS GAME
This game came out of our attempt to revive the Game Designers’ Workshop roleplaying game Dark Conspiracy. Over a couple of years we developed and redeveloped the game’s background, while remodelled and tested a set of core rules that better matched modern gaming sensibilities – all to no avail.
As progress on the new edition continued, the design team discovered that they had moved further and further away from the original source material. In the end, after much anguish (and the official expiry of the licence) the project was abandoned. Yet while the writers and artists disbanded, the devotion for the essence of what made Dark Conspiracy so interesting to us remained – good old conspiracy horror.

Of course, as any artistic work, this game and its setting have had many influences - from the novels of Tim Powers and Charles Stross, through to Richard Kelly’s Southland Tales and shows like the X-Files. In the end, what you hold in your hand is what comes from many different ideas. With Future Dawns we have created a game of dark conspiracies and horrors set in a reflection of our current world. Like all works it does hold some homage to its inspiration, but this game is so much more…
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Re: [Introduction] What This Game Is... And What It Isn't

Post by ReHerakhte »

Okay, enough talk.
When can I buy it? :)
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

ReHerakhte wrote:Okay, enough talk.
When can I buy it? :)

Well you sure as hell know how to keep me motivated! That's the sort of things I like to hear :P

As for buying it? I'm probably going to give it away for free (or maybe at a minimal cost). I do hope to have the first draft done by Christmas, so don't be surprised if you get a message from me linkng to that sometime around then :P

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Awesome news!

It's one thing to find another conspiracy/horror RPG come onto the market but it's an entirely different affair when you know the motivations and influences behind the person writing it and happen to share those thoughts/influences too.
So in that regard, I am extremely excited to see Future Dawns in print and to get my grubby little hands on it.
Pennanngalan
Prole

Post by Pennanngalan »

Sounds good! I've been wringing my hands since I checked out the Atomic Highway downloads.