Jumping Distance

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

Jumping Distance

Post by Zvezda »

One of the deamongrounds came up with some nice house-rules regarding the distance a PC can walkt. It was AGL + 10 instead of the basic 15m from the core rules.

My question is, has someone made some decent house-rules on jumping? Neither the core rules nor the internet have something for me.

The world record for long jumps is at 8.91 m at the moment. It should be taken into consideration that the Olympic jumpers have a sprint of ~40 m before 'take off'.

Rules shoud not be too difficult. I am thinking about walking distance (average of 15m) devided by 5. Any ideas?
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Sounds like a reasonable calculation. I wonder if it's worth altering the base number for particular careers (such as the Athlete) or giving a bonus for high Agility?
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Well as a house rule we add halve the acrobatics skill to the base movement rate. In the AGL + 10 variation high Agility would directly lead to a longer distance when jumping.
AkDragoon

Post by AkDragoon »

I would argue that Strength has more of an influence on the distance a person can jump than Agility would. While Agility is the maneuverability of the body, the power that comes from launching oneself into the air is Strength based.
So, I would use this calculation:
Strength x2 feet standing long jump
Strength + Agility feet jogging long jump (for minimum distance of 30 feet running start)
Strength x 1.5 + Agility feet sprinting long jump (for minimum distance of 60 feet running start)
This way the maximum possible character sprinting long jump is 25 feet (7.62 meters).

But then, I use all calculations that have to do with feet (and a tendancy towards 5s of feet) in my games. I'm Imperial American, what am I gonna do?
"... And when you look into the Darkness, the Darkness also looks into you..."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

7.62? Always related to my interests!

Yep I agree. Good point. Since you are actually catapulting a lot of mass somewhere STR would probably be more appropriate to caltculate the jumping distance. I think I will use your suggestions and try find something that works for me. Since the average human can carry up to 30 kilogramm of stuff without any penalties and survives a critical hit by a 9mm to the head jumping distance might not need to be too close to the real world. I think I make 10 the maximum jumping distance. Acrobatics could probably be used to shorten the required "take off" distance rather than be added to the jumping distance.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

I also like AkDragoon's method (although naturally I'll change it for use with metres!)
I think Acrobatics could also be used for checking how well the PC has landed when the landing is critical (like say jumping onto a narrow ledge where's there's not much room to land), perhaps something like a Diff:Acrobatics test to lower the Difficulty Level one level to see how well they landed (or if they failed).
I know Acrobatics is a general skill use for all of these types of situations but I just thought I'd mention it again :)
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
scottm

Post by scottm »

My $0.02, borrowed heavily from above.

I consider STR and AGL equaly important for a successful jump because Strength gets you the lift and AGL gets you a landing (you really need to catch the edge of the cliff you're jumping to. Vaulting twenty feet straight into it looks awesome but is less useful).

standing long jump
(STR + AGL) / 6 in meters
(Results between 0-3 meters with most results around 1.5 or so).

jogging long jump (for minimum distance of 10 meter running start)
Athletics reduces minimum distrance by half rank
(STR + AGL) / 4 in meters
(Results between 0-5 meters with most results around 2.0-2.5 or so).

sprinting long jump (for minimum distance of 20 meter running start)
Athletics reduces minimum distance by rank
(STR + AGL) / 2 in meters
(Results between 0-10 meters with most results around 5 meters or so).

These numbers are at zero load.

At normal load, half all results.

At burdened, quarter all results.

Jumping is not practical beyond burdened.
"The further I get from the things that I care about,
the less I care about how much further away I get..."

Fear of Ghosts - The Cure
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Excellent. I'll take these. What is the difference between Zero load and Normal load? Zero load is in "Swimming". A pair of good shoes and a tracksuit?
scottm

Post by scottm »

Zvezda wrote:Excellent. I'll take these. What is the difference between Zero load and Normal load? Zero load is in "Swimming". A pair of good shoes and a tracksuit?
That's my take. Zero load is a light set of clothes and nothing else.

Normal load is anything beyond that up to (STR+CON)x3 kg.

Now if the guy has shorts, running shoes, serengeti sunglasses and a deagle. I might grant him the Zero load formula unless he's firing it at the same time. (This isn't Quake 3).
"The further I get from the things that I care about,
the less I care about how much further away I get..."

Fear of Ghosts - The Cure
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Hehe! Thanks. I think this system will work fine.