Voices in your head? A finger in your ear?

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Voices in your head? A finger in your ear?

Post by ReHerakhte »

Seems Disney Corp. has been hard at work researching the transmission of sound through the human body. Unlike bone conduction however, their research focuses on using modulated electrostatic fields. More hear... err, here.

Oh and those voices in your head, maybe someone put them there after all.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Re: Voices in your head? A finger in your ear?

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:

Oh and those voices in your head, maybe someone put them there after all.

I think I'd be worried if they sounded like Donald Duck. :wink:
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Hehehe :lol:
Or Elmer Fudd maybe?

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Though it seems that the technology is not that sophisticated it is very impressive in my oppinion. I just don't understand how the signal is transmitted to the first body. You need to hold the recorder to transmit the signal?
Руки Вверх!
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Zvezda wrote:...I just don't understand how the signal is transmitted to the first body. You need to hold the recorder to transmit the signal?
Basically, yes.

At the moment, the technology requires the person speaking to talk into a special microphone. The microphone has been converted to allow the sound signal to be transmitted to the talker's own body as long as they hold the microphone properly.
The talker touches another person on the ear while speaking into the microphone and the sound is transferred from the microphone,through the talker's body to the other person.

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

So the person talking has to be very close to the person receiving the message? This makes it less mystical if you see the other person talking into the machine. Interesting though that the message can be send through several bodies. It might be useful for voice recognition technology.
Руки Вверх!
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

It does seem quite limited but it's still early in development yet so it could get more useful in a few years? I think it probably has a lot of potential for use in noisy conditions, you can touch the person you want to communicate with and they will definitely hear what you want them to hear.

I used to be in the Australian military so my first thought was that it has potential for troops who need methods of communicating that are hard to detect by the enemy. For example, the soldiers could all have personal radios like they do now but the radios are also equipped with this tech. They could use a "whisper" mode that means they literally whisper to themselves but by touching the other soldiers ears, they get the message through.

It has a very short transmission range (it would only need to transmit in less than half a metre), so the chance for the enemy to pick up the signal is vastly reduced and I can see that it would also use less power from the batteries this way.
Other people who might use this tech could be scuba divers and even construction workers? Both would want small radios that don't get in the way and can be used with the minimum effort and in regards to scuba divers, radios that don't need frequent battery changes.

It's whether I win...