I think I've found where PCs & NPCs get their weapons

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

I think I've found where PCs & NPCs get their weapons

Post by ReHerakhte »

I found this when searching for some articles about weapons technology and what it says reveals as much about the internet as it does the gun-buying public.
The Armory is an online weapons bazaar heavily protecting it's buyers and sellers anonymity by being part of the DeepWeb (the DeepWeb itself is something that should be researched for it's potential use in modern gaming).

That said, I reiterate the last paragraph of the article, this is not some new and more threatening problem, weapons dealing/arms smuggling has been going on since the time village fought village and clan fought clan.
What it does indicate though, is that arms smuggling will not be left behind and embraces the benefits of technology just like anything else.
Gizmodo Australia - The Armory

In terms of gaming, it's a very convenient way for your PC group to attempt to arm themselves (or any other group that wants/needs weapons). Roleplaying the contact & purchase with sellers from The Armory could be a session in itself.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Re: I think I've found where PCs & NPCs get their weapons

Post by Linden »

I was reading about some of the illicit goods available via the Deep Web. Somemtimes the gear fails to arrive or is poor quality counterfeit (e.g. ecstasy tabs made out of chalk dust). Criminals behaving like criminals, who'd have thought it?

ReHerakhte wrote:
In terms of gaming, it's a very convenient way for your PC group to attempt to arm themselves (or any other group that wants/needs weapons). Roleplaying the contact & purchase with sellers from The Armory could be a session in itself.

Recently watched the British 1970s crime film Sitting Target which has a great gun buying scene: Escaped cons Oliver Reed and Ian McShane meet gun seller in remote canalside location. Gun seller takes exception to Olly wanting to buy Mauser Special on credit. Olly and Lovejoy batter him and his minder senseless. End of demands for payment. Not saying the PCs should adopt this approach but it does illustrate one way these encounters can pan out.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Yes, the quality of the item or it's lack of delivery were something I figured had good game potential. Criminals behaving like criminals indeed :twisted:

Thanks for the info on Sitting Target, sounds like I have some movie hunting to do!
And speaking of Mauser pistols, your avatar pic, the weapon looks like it's either a Tec-9 (or variant) or a Mauser M712 - either of the two but with some sort of attachment near the barrel.
Last edited by ReHerakhte on Fri May 06, 2016 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:
Thanks for the info on Sitting Target, sounds like I have some movie hunting to do!
And speaking of Mauser pistols, your avatar pic, the weapon looks like it's either a Tec-9 (or variant) or a Mauser M712 - either of the two but with some sort of attachment near the barrel.

If you track it down I don't recommend watching it with your mum or granny. It's violent, misogynistic and quite amoral in the UK 70s style (think Get Carter). Great performance from Oliver Reed though: He just radiates pure menace. Director Douglas "Theatre of Blood" Hickox maintains a breakneck pace throughout. There's a trailer for a live screening in London last year which is probably better than the official one.

My avatar is taken from the film. Olly shooting up the manor around Clapham Junction. The gun's only identified as a 9mm Mauser Special but is fully automatic and comes with attachable stock and telescopic sight. I'd guess the M712 is the most likely candidate. It looks pretty cool - if I was playing DC I think I'd want my character to have one.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."