How did the gods decide?

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

How did the gods decide?

Post by Zvezda »

We all know: No matter how good we are, success and failure of our everyday tasks are determined by the roll of a d20. Whoever holds this millennial old die will never fail a task.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Re: How did the gods decide?

Post by Linden »

Nice to know the D20 has been with us for a while. I wonder how Ancient Greek gamers knew what they'd rolled, did the letters of their alphabet have a numerical value as well perhaps?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I think the ceasar cypher works somehow similar. Every letter stands for a number.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Possibly Ancient Hebrew did as well, hence the number of the beast 666 for the Emperor Nero?
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I think that one is different. In Hebrew numerology the letters are assigned to a number but in a similar way as in Roman numerals. Only that there are more than seven numerals (I,V,X,L,C,D,M). Every letter in the Hebrew alphabet is tied to a number. From 1 - 10 from Aleph to Jod and the next group is from 20 to 100 and than from 200 to 900 so that every word in Hebrew is also a number.
Руки Вверх!
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Cheers Zvezda, I wondered how it worked.