Examples of how the Gnomes take holidays?

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Examples of how the Gnomes take holidays?

Post by ReHerakhte »

Was directed to this article by a post in a military forum I'm on. I thought it could serve as a useful example for the holidaying Gnomes in DC.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/artic ... idays.html
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Re: Examples of how the Gnomes take holidays?

Post by Linden »

Private islands strike me as very Gnomish, the boat as well.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Yes definitely. The boat conjures up images in my mind of Gnomes travelling the beaches, rivers and canals of the country, ignoring the poverty and danger of the land, blissfully unaware and partying like the wealthy of Germany in the last days of the Weimar Republic.

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

ReHerakhte wrote:Yes definitely. The boat conjures up images in my mind of Gnomes travelling the beaches, rivers and canals of the country, ignoring the poverty and danger of the land, blissfully unaware and partying like the wealthy of Germany in the last days of the Weimar Republic.

Party like it's 1929!

Let's hope the boat doesn't pick up anything nasty on its travels.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Linden wrote: Party like it's 1929!

Let's hope the boat doesn't pick up anything nasty on its travels.
Now that sounds like the beginnings of an adventure...

Hmm, one of the crew turns out to be a cyborg that's trying to kill one of the Gnomes and the PCs are called in to discreetly "remove" it. This could almost be done like the plot of the first Alien movie.

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I personally like the bullet resistant glass best because that is so absolutely unnecessary. I bet half a month's wedge that whoever carries a gun up there has a plan that does not rely on shooting through a window. Anyways...

Party like it's 1929! Is an excellent title. For almost everything. I think this captures exactly the mind set the gnomes have in my campaign. Only that the world is not sliding towards a world war because countries are busy with their internal conflicts. Speaking of Weimar, have a look at the Rhenish Republic. Almost unknown but very useful for CoC.
Руки Вверх!
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Hey Zvezda I know I'd never heard of the Rhenish Republic before so that article was very interesting.
I wonder how many other attempts to create a new country during times of trouble have been made that have now been forgotten?

I'm reminded of the various nation states created by warlords in China during the same general period. Many of them had their own arsenals to equip their private armies and one in particular was so fond of the .45 calibre Thompson SMG and also the C96 Mauser that he ordered his arsenal to make copies of the C96 chambered for the .45 ammunition so that his troops could carry both and not have to worry about too many different types of ammo.

The real world era of the 1880s-1930s period certainly makes for some interesting background to any games set in that time!

It's whether I win...
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

And as a follow up to the Rhenish Republic, how about the Provisional Imperial Government or in its German form, Kommissarische Reichsregierung?
Apparently some individuals in Germany like to believe that the former West and East Germany and the current federal republic of Germany were/are illegitimate and that the German Reich's 1919 Weimar Constitution remains in place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kommissari ... sregierung

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote: Speaking of Weimar, have a look at the Rhenish Republic. Almost unknown but very useful for CoC.

Fascinating stuff, and as you say great background for Call of Cthulhu. Not only do the investigators have to cope with supernatural threats there's also the chance of them being sidetracked by some human inspired mayhem.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Well, than have an other interesting State. Though it might be to far back in time for an active part in a CoC game it makes an excellent background. The direct connection of this state to the Teutonic Order (symbolised by the flag)can also work as a plot hook. Knights who fought in the land of ghouls and turned to the Baltic to avoid the Templar's fate...
Руки Вверх!
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I have know that Kommissarische Reichsregierung's thing before. I am a fan of these micro-nations for DC. They are rather funny in our days but with the collapse of law enforcement organised structures can be of great use when someone tries to keep the area under control. There are several of these Groups in Germany today. It is a bad thing being so close to them for if you see them in the media regularly they don't make very good villains. Most of them are insane. In the medical sense of the word. I mean they are disabled and need professional help and the courts think the same way. Strangely enough most of these groups are openly fascist in their rhetoric while they do not claim to be the successors of the nazi-state but rather of the Weimar Republic. Well some of them do, but in Germany handing out "monopoly money" is not a crime, handing out play money with swastikas on it is, so they are usually the ones that get locked away first. All of these states or governments are deeply involved in the esoteric circles. This might be useful for DC. It could in some way connect them to the empathic underground. But to make things clear, while they have these fascist and neo-nazi ideology they are not like the BNP or the militant neo-nazis in Germany. Most people feel sorry for them. If they care about them at all.
Руки Вверх!