A car that only needs refueling once a century?

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

A car that only needs refueling once a century?

Post by ReHerakhte »

Apparently a nuclear energy powered car isn't so hard to devise these days.
However it's not using uranium but thorium and with apparently only a few grams of Thorium needed, you won't need all that heavy, lead shielding to prevent your internal organs from being cooked when you're out for a Sunday drive.

http://www.industrytap.com/thorium-fuel ... tury/15649
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Re: A car that only needs refueling once a century?

Post by Zvezda »

Car crashes would become very interesting. I remember that the Soviet Union was experimenting with a nuclear powered bomber before the age of ICBMs...I think it killed the crew by radiation because shielding the reactors was not possible or something.
Руки Вверх!
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

The USA also tried to make an atomic powered bomber but also gave up on the idea due to the same sort of problems with protection for the crew from the radiation and because ICBM technology was getting better.
Ultimately it seems that the entire project was always going to fail because there was no need for a long-range bomber when a missile could do the job.

There's a brief article here about the US project, http://www.nuclear.com/history/Nuclear_airplanes.html
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Thanks.
Руки Вверх!