Hunting Pirates

This forum is for all 'real world' articles that are of interest or can be used as inspiration for Dark Conspiracy.
Post Reply
User avatar
Morthrai
Site Admin
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Contact:

Hunting Pirates

Post by Morthrai » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Okay so this isn't a real thing, but doesn't it sound just like an activity for jaded Nomes looking for a new thrill? 8)

Pirate Hunting Tours
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"

User avatar
ReHerakhte
Minion Hunter
Posts: 951
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:30 am
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...
Contact:

Re: Hunting Pirates

Post by ReHerakhte » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:53 am

Hehehehe :twisted:
Especially when the itinerary calls for a tour of Socotra Island - which featured as a "location of interest" in a Protodimension article...
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...

User avatar
Morthrai
Site Admin
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Contact:

Re: Hunting Pirates

Post by Morthrai » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:30 am

ReHerakhte wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:53 am
Hehehehe :twisted:
Especially when the itinerary calls for a tour of Socotra Island - which featured as a "location of interest" in a Protodimension article...
There was so much to be had from Socotra and the surrounding area (history, geological and biological differences and general weirdness plus the modern piratical dangers) that 3HG had an entire sourcebook in the works. Yet another lost treasure! :?
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"

Phulish
Nome
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:07 am

Re: Hunting Pirates

Post by Phulish » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Morthrai wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:30 am
ReHerakhte wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:53 am
Hehehehe :twisted:
Especially when the itinerary calls for a tour of Socotra Island - which featured as a "location of interest" in a Protodimension article...
There was so much to be had from Socotra and the surrounding area (history, geological and biological differences and general weirdness plus the modern piratical dangers) that 3HG had an entire sourcebook in the works. Yet another lost treasure! :?
Did these revert to FFE or just got lost in 3HG's demise? Can we fund a new license from FFE?

User avatar
Morthrai
Site Admin
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Contact:

Re: Hunting Pirates

Post by Morthrai » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:09 pm

Phulish wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:00 pm
Did these revert to FFE or just got lost in 3HG's demise? Can we fund a new license from FFE?
Far as I am aware all that stuff was taken offline by Norm and FFE has no claim to it. I found some early drafts kicking around in my backups, but pretty much all of that stuff was written by Norm alone, with just a few bits from me so I have zero claim to it. As for licensing I am still uncertain where DC is at, so much so that right now I don't even know if I can use any DC material for The Dark Times - nobody holds the licence so nobody can grant permission :evil: :roll:
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"

Phulish
Nome
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:07 am

Re: Hunting Pirates

Post by Phulish » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:33 am

Morthrai wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:09 pm
Phulish wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:00 pm
Did these revert to FFE or just got lost in 3HG's demise? Can we fund a new license from FFE?
Far as I am aware all that stuff was taken offline by Norm and FFE has no claim to it. I found some early drafts kicking around in my backups, but pretty much all of that stuff was written by Norm alone, with just a few bits from me so I have zero claim to it. As for licensing I am still uncertain where DC is at, so much so that right now I don't even know if I can use any DC material for The Dark Times - nobody holds the licence so nobody can grant permission :evil: :roll:
OK, keep an ear to the ground for permission, then start from scratch. Has FFE said anything to you? Their website has DC1 and DC2, no Conspiracy lives. I hope we could use DC2 as a conduit for new stuff until the license come available.

User avatar
ReHerakhte
Minion Hunter
Posts: 951
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:30 am
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...
Contact:

Re: Hunting Pirates

Post by ReHerakhte » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:44 am

As I understood the whole issue with licencing - FFE are the IP holders and grant a licence to those who wish to publish anthing commercially - assuming they meet the requirements.

There is already a precedent for this with the 2013 material produced by 93 Game Studio under the Twilight: 2000 licence. I am inclined to think that anything that Norm (or anyone else) was working on that had not yet been published will remain his (theirs).
However, the licence for Twilight: 2000 was expensive and 93 Games had difficulty keeping up with that and let the licence lapse. It seems they didn't make enough money from the 2013 game to make it financially viable to continue producing it, (the game didn't sell as well as they had hoped with one inference by someone associated with 93 Games being that it was the "old school" Twilight: 2000 fans who were to blame).

Obviously I don't know what FFE have to say in regard to publishing more material for DC but as Dark Times is not being produced for profit I would think that it isn't classed as a "commercial publication". I know from some past attempts by the Twilight: 2000 community that FFE were generally happy enough to allow fan material to be published and made freely available (i.e. it was not a "commercial publication") as long as a copyright notice was included in the publication and I believe this was the same sort of agreement for Demonground and Protodimension.
So with my lack of any other knowledge affecting this, I would think that for any new DC ezine this would also be the case?
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...

Phulish
Nome
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:07 am

Re: Hunting Pirates

Post by Phulish » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:00 am

ReHerakhte wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:44 am
As I understood the whole issue with licencing - FFE are the IP holders and grant a licence to those who wish to publish anthing commercially - assuming they meet the requirements.

There is already a precedent for this with the 2013 material produced by 93 Game Studio under the Twilight: 2000 licence. I am inclined to think that anything that Norm (or anyone else) was working on that had not yet been published will remain his (theirs).
However, the licence for Twilight: 2000 was expensive and 93 Games had difficulty keeping up with that and let the licence lapse. It seems they didn't make enough money from the 2013 game to make it financially viable to continue producing it, (the game didn't sell as well as they had hoped with one inference by someone associated with 93 Games being that it was the "old school" Twilight: 2000 fans who were to blame).

Obviously I don't know what FFE have to say in regard to publishing more material for DC but as Dark Times is not being produced for profit I would think that it isn't classed as a "commercial publication". I know from some past attempts by the Twilight: 2000 community that FFE were generally happy enough to allow fan material to be published and made freely available (i.e. it was not a "commercial publication") as long as a copyright notice was included in the publication and I believe this was the same sort of agreement for Demonground and Protodimension.
So with my lack of any other knowledge affecting this, I would think that for any new DC ezine this would also be the case?
I hope so, with the talent we have available, a lot can be accomplished. Some items may require a different direction so it doesn't cause conflict with Norm. The fact that Lee is swamped by DC submissions proves any work will be appreciated. It can even be "alternate [blank], insert timeline, world, gear, etc.

User avatar
Morthrai
Site Admin
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:26 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Contact:

Re: Hunting Pirates

Post by Morthrai » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:40 am

Phulish wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:33 am
OK, keep an ear to the ground for permission, then start from scratch. Has FFE said anything to you? Their website has DC1 and DC2, no Conspiracy lives.
Already got the ear in position! :D As for FFE, they know that I am not in a position to make an offer on the licence so there's no reason for them to keep me informed of any developments.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"

Phulish
Nome
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:07 am

Re: Hunting Pirates

Post by Phulish » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 pm

Morthrai wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:40 am
Phulish wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:33 am
OK, keep an ear to the ground for permission, then start from scratch. Has FFE said anything to you? Their website has DC1 and DC2, no Conspiracy lives.
Already got the ear in position! :D As for FFE, they know that I am not in a position to make an offer on the licence so there's no reason for them to keep me informed of any developments.
But if you get permission for DC1 and 2 for Dark Times, we can do a lot. :D

Post Reply

Return to “Dark Conspiracy in the Real World”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest