Current State of Things

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

That does not make things better I am affraid. Well let's hope for the beste.
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

I'm just having some random thoughts here but...
When GDW shut down, the licence rights to their products reverted to the original authors and while DPI obtained the rights for Dark Conspiracy, when they shut down, I would say the licence went back to the original authors again.

Marc Miller is one of the original authors of GDW and while he may not have specifically contributed to Dark Conspiracy, he has obviously been able to secure the licence probably because he is one of the GDW original authors. From what I remember, The Gamers' Conglomerate only had rights to publish material for DC, not to hold the licence.

Mr Miller had plans to put the original DC material onto a CD-ROM a few years ago so I am inclined to think his production of the CD is unrelated to the lack of progress of DC 3rd edition. However I would say that the lack of progress on the 3rd edition probably made the legal side of things easier for Mr Miller.

As was mentioned sometime back, Marcus Bone had some personal business to take care of and because The Gamers' Conglomerate was a small company consisting of 5 individuals including his brother, I wonder how much the personal business is the reason for the no-show of DC 3rd edition?
Last edited by ReHerakhte on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

Hi All,

The official status of TGC and DC 3e is that our license has expired. The relationship between TGC and the IP owner of DC was always a difficult one, and this has, IMO, limited the project dramatically.

Recently, actions were undertaken to 'reboot' the DC3e project, but I discovered that the IP owner had initiated other actions. Without this license DC in TGC's eyes is dead. I understand Marc Miller is to produce a DC CD of all existing material, including 2nd edition (the rights to which are up in the air - due to non-payment of contracts, etc.)

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Hi Marcus,
Glad to see you're still alive and kicking :D

Thanks for the update on the licence rights for DC and on the state of affairs for TGC & 3rd edition. Are you at liberty to say what 'other actions' were being taken by the IP owner for DC?

Cheers,
Kevin

It's whether I win...
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

Hi Kevin,

No... I don't think it would anyone any good to go into any details.

Never fear DC lovers, however, as I hear rumour that another publisher may be in line for the license. I have no details though.

Cheers!

Marcus

P.S. I will be posting further details to what is to become of these forums and TGC's material in the near future!
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

One more question, it might seem silly but I don't know the answer after so many years of licence transfer etc. etc. and I'm driven by curiousity (so I just have to ask!)
Is the identity of the DC IP owner in the public domain? As in, are you allowed to tell us who it is?
I'm thinking in terms of fan appeals to the owner to encourage them to allow issuing the licence for another publish.

Cheers,
Kevin

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I have felt a little bad recently knowing that TGC was no longer doing DC3e, but obviously it wasn't my place to say anything in public. It's better that Marcus has given the official word and now you guys all know what is happening. As it happens, I probably will get the DC 1st and 2nd edition CD myself as a convenient reference. It is a genuine shame that the license expired and TGC themselves won't be going ahead with DC3e, but I am glad to have been part of their effort :D

As you know, Norm and myself are starting a horror & conspiracy rpg magazine but we will of course continue supporting Marcus in his future endeavours. He has some good ideas that need to be released into the world. 8)
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Morthrai wrote:As you know, Norm and myself are starting a horror & conspiracy rpg magazine but we will of course continue supporting Marcus in his future endeavours. He has some good ideas that need to be released into the world. 8)
I hope you don't mean he is releasing things into the world... like... zombies, Cthulhu or Dark Lords... :shock: :o

Well, if it's just on paper I think I can cope with that... I don't have enough rockets or barbed wire let alone zombie-repellant if he's going to do it for real!
:lol: :wink:
Cheers,
Kevin

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

You where right in doing so Lee. It is really sad. I would have loved to see DC3. But it's good to know the real state of things. :(
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

ReHerakhte wrote: I hope you don't mean he is releasing things into the world... like... zombies, Cthulhu or Dark Lords... :shock: :o
As it happens, Marcus (like myself) is a big fan of Cthulhu... :P :twisted:
Lee Williams.
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Zvezda wrote:You were right in doing so Lee. It is really sad. I would have loved to see DC3. But it's good to know the real state of things. :(
Firstly, don't be sad! I've been involved with DC for ages in one way or another, and still I'm not sad. DIsappointed certainly, but I have other things to work on now with Protodimension mag and whatever else might come up. Personally I'm eager to see what ideas Marcus may have for any new games :)

Secondly, keep doing what I have always done and support DC among the other fans. Apparently there may be another version in the future, and if that does happen we should support that. If it does not happen, we should stick together and carry on yes? :D
Lee Williams.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I'm still sad since I had really high hopes from what I have heard about the rule improvement. :D
Anyways the forum sat up by Marcus and the others has been very very helpful to me.
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

Just so everyone knows, I do intend on releasing an RPG from the new mechanics and even some of the background that I have developed. It won't quite be a far-future as DC (based more as an alternate version of our present world), but it will utilise much of what was ear-marked for 3rd edition.

Hopefully, it won't take three years to get this one out :P

Marcus
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Marcus Bone wrote:Just so everyone knows, I do intend on releasing an RPG from the new mechanics and even some of the background that I have developed. It won't quite be a far-future as DC (based more as an alternate version of our present world), but it will utilise much of what was ear-marked for 3rd edition.

Hopefully, it won't take three years to get this one out :P

Marcus
And then we Players can combine DC game themes with your new rules set and we'll kind of handmake a 3rd edition for ourselves.
And if the DC IP owner actually gets something launched to continue the DC line, then we'll have even more material to play with.
There's still some good to be had after all!

Cheers,
Kevin

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Concidering that this is exactly the Way we play DC...this might turn out even better. Just keep us infromed please!