Future Dawns...

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Future Dawns...

Post by Marcus Bone »

As some of you on this forum might be aware, I've been actively looking for a game system that I could use to create a roleplaying game that will keep the spirit of DC alive, while expanding it to a new audience.

After some rough experiences with Savage Worlds, I think I've discovered a set of mechanics that will not only match the style I'm looking for, but are also simple and consistent enough to not get in the way of the style and 'feel' of the game.

The system is already being used and will come at a cost (minimal), so I really want to use this forum as a testing ground going forward (I mean you guys here are the die-hard fans of the system).

I should warn you that this won't be a DC clone, rather it is a system that is considerably lighter and faster, and setting wise will be different enough to avoid any IP issues.

Comments?

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

I would welcome any new RPG that isn't using the D20 OGL rules or the D&D 4th ed system. I might not play a new game system or even buy it but I most definitely would encourage anything that helps keep RPGs kicking along as a hobby.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

I'm dubious about Savage Words for reasons given elsewhere but am broadly in agreement with Kevin.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I think it's all down to the way the market changes over time. Obviously I'm not getting any younger :? and I'm used to several of the older sytems but I think it's a good plan to spread the genre into one of the lighter and leaner games that are prevalent these days.

Run with it Marcus, and see where it takes you :D We will help if we can.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Over the years I have compiled to much material for DC to ever jup off that system again. But I sure will give the new one a try. And I must certainly will buy each and every source book and adventure.
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

As you might have noticed, I've started a dedicated sub-forum for Future Dawns. I hope to document the entire game there for review, before taking it on to anything bigger.

As always comments and feedback can be directed there...
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
jdpearson

Re: Future Dawns...

Post by jdpearson »

Marcus Bone wrote:As some of you on this forum might be aware, I've been actively looking for a game system that I could use to create a roleplaying game that will keep the spirit of DC alive, while expanding it to a new audience.

After some rough experiences with Savage Worlds, I think I've discovered a set of mechanics that will not only match the style I'm looking for, but are also simple and consistent enough to not get in the way of the style and 'feel' of the game.

The system is already being used and will come at a cost (minimal), so I really want to use this forum as a testing ground going forward (I mean you guys here are the die-hard fans of the system).

I should warn you that this won't be a DC clone, rather it is a system that is considerably lighter and faster, and setting wise will be different enough to avoid any IP issues.

Comments?

Marcus
Hi Marcus, Norm, and everyone! Long time no "see". I've been away from DC for quite a while but my love has never dissipated. I stopped by to check out the progress of the reprint (still not sure where it is so if you can point me to a quick update that would be awesome).

I'll weigh in a little (maybe too late) on Savage Worlds. My friends and I have been gaming for years and are all in our late 30's/ 40's with careers, jobs, families, etc.

Savage Worlds is currently our game of choice for its speed of learning, adaptability, and ease of setting up a game. It was truly, created for guys like us by guys like us.

I saw in a later post that it had too much of a pulpy feel to it and wanted to say that we have used it very successfully for very crunchy, deadly games with just some minor tweaking. If I were to run DC again it would be in SW rules.

There are some really well documented ways to adjust SW to the feel of nearly any game (dropping bennies, required rolls on wound tables, etc.)

Anyhow that's my 2 cents worth.

Sincerely,

James Pearson
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

jdpearson wrote:Hi Marcus, Norm, and everyone! Long time no "see". I've been away from DC for quite a while but my love has never dissipated. I stopped by to check out the progress of the reprint (still not sure where it is so if you can point me to a quick update that would be awesome).
Welcome back James, long time no see indeed! :D

As you can see, Marcus is doing the Future Dawns thing which promises to be pretty cool as you might expect. If you need to catch up with the revamp of Dark Conspiracy itself you can trawl through these forums as Marcus was kind enough to let us continue to use them for the upcoming edition. We also have some information on the Protodimension magazine forums.

Final thought, I will start a subforum for DC3 updates so it's easy to keep up.
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Post by Linden »

jdpearson wrote: I saw in a later post that it had too much of a pulpy feel to it and wanted to say that we have used it very successfully for very crunchy, deadly games with just some minor tweaking.
I think my problem with it was that it wasn't pulpy enough, and seemed to fall short of its apparent objective of running exciting, fast moving games. Combat seemed to take forever, permissible in mass battle perhaps, but the better part of an hour for a skirmish with 3-4 participants on each side? Far too long.

I take the point about tweaking but think I'll stick with the DC system. It's not perfect either but I'm used to it now.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."