DC might be republished in 2011?

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

DC might be republished in 2011?

Post by ReHerakhte »

Did anyone else notice this on the Far Future Enterprises 'Guide to Dark Conspiracy 1' pdf? To quote "... In 2009, a major publisher has expressed interest in reviving the Dark Conspiracy series, but does not expect to publish before 2011."

http://www.farfuture.net/Guide%20to%20D ... cy%201.pdf

I hope like hell it's not any publisher that wants to make D20 OGL games. I hate class-based, level-up style for modern, near-future & sci-fi games.

It's interesting to read the Guide to DC, some of the information is lifted straight from the DC wiki page.
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

I did spot that too Kevin, but if one of the bigger players were to rework DC it may change things beyond all recognition rather than just give it the overhaul most of us on these forums would like to see.

On a personal note, I think that 93 Games Studio might be a good choice for bringing back DC. They have done pretty well with Twilight:2013 after all. It would be great to get one of the big players like Mongoose or Paizo, but they would almost certainly adapt the game to their own system.

Just have to wait some more :?
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Morthrai wrote:I did spot that too Kevin, but if one of the bigger players were to rework DC it may change things beyond all recognition rather than just give it the overhaul most of us on these forums would like to see.
That's pretty much my fear, that it may be changed to be too much like some of the better known (read, more likely to generate profit) near-future games like Cyberpunk 2020 or ShadowRun.
Or worse from my point of view, changed to be a new campaign setting for D20 Modern :cry:

It's whether I win...
Phulish
Nome

2011 release......

Post by Phulish »

My vote would be for "93" if someone does it. Otherwise maybe a collection of fanwork might do better.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

I thought Cyberpunk went bancrupt too?
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Unfortunately, 93 Games Studio is a minor player in publishing. Like Far Future Enterprises, it is largely the work of one person and he hires people on contract as and when needed.
Worse still as far as I am concerned, I do not believe that 93 Games would just give the game an overhaul, I fear that they too would seek to impose their own view on the game.

It's whether I win...
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Though I like the general idea of saving T2K for future generations and I also admit that some of their new ruels are quite nice it is not the same anymore. I think T2013 is a completely different game. And also one I don't like nearly as much as T2K in my oppinion it is more on the level of D20 Modern Afghanistan or something. Nice but not a milestone in Role Playing. Though I am not sure if you say milestone when something is really imoportant in English. :wink:
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Hey Zvezda, in English we use the word milestone in exactly the same way that you did - an important event, item or achievement can be referred to as a 'milestone' :)

And I agree with you, 93 Games might be using the Twilight: 2000 name but it's a completely different game - different rules, different setting, different background, different feel. They could have called it anything they wanted including just the number '2013' but I'm inclined to think they called it Twilight: 2013 because they would have a ready-made audience. It seems that they expected all the Twilight: 2000 fans to immediately like 2013 and buy it - that didn't quite happen.
As it is, it's too far removed from the Cold War setting of the real Twilight: 2000 game for some fans and while 2013 is popular enough, I don't think it will ever get the sales and fan status that Twilight: 2000 did.

It's whether I win...
Marcus Bone
Site Admin

Post by Marcus Bone »

My vote is for Mongoose.

Why? Because Marc and Matt already have a working agreement - plus Mongoose is known for its aggressive focus on licenses. It would also make sense with the 2011 indication...

I have no insider knowledge BTW, just a 'feeling'...

Marcus
Owner of http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.info and other great RPG websites -
- Stormbringer! - Supporting the Eternal Champion RPGs at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com
- Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Re: DC might be republished in 2011?

Post by ReHerakhte »

I'm reviving this thread for two reasons, one happy and one not so happy (depending on your point of view)

One - As we already know, 3 Hombres has decided to publish Dark Conspiracy so the 'major publisher' aspect of the original announcement means... well, I don't know really. It could have been that a major RPG company was interested then lost interest. I guess we'll never know

Two - As mentioned in this thread, 93 Games Studio was producing their idea of the Twilight: 2000 game. I say 'was' because the one-man company has decided not to renew the licence to publish material for Twilight: 2000. He is not simply stopping 2013, he is shutting down 93 Games Studio. I know it is tough in the RPG market at the moment (well, for the last decade really) but there seems to me to have been a little too much ego involved and the lack of "big sales" may have dented his pride perhaps.

93 Games were touting a new version of T2k since about 2006, they even had coffee cups for sale from Cafe Press or the like with the 2013 logo on them. Call me cynical but there was lots of marketing but very little product being seen.
In November 2008 they finally published the main book which they tried to retail as a PDF for US$40. It didn't sell that well (no surprise there) until they dropped the price to US$27 (now it's available for US$20, still too damned much when you consider that the T2k book was selling originally for US$25 and has now dropped to US$3
Now in late 2010 they are closing their doors because it hasn't been profitable enough...

It's whether I win...
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Personally I think it's a shame that 93 Games are closing down, whatever the reason. I have had some contact with them and they are pretty genuine people.

As for Dark Conspiracy, the licence we have at 3Hombres allows us to produce a third edition that is based upon the good ol' GDW House System, as seen in Twilight:2000 v2.2 and Traveller: New Era and also the updates in some of the original DC sourcebooks, as well as brand new material using said system. It's a new edition but not an all-new game, though we are aiming to get the rough edges of the system filed off at last 8) We also have some new and interesting ideas to add into the mix...

Edit:I am not aware of anyone else intending to create an all-new version using a different system but our licence does not preclude that happening. It wouldn't be anything to do with us though if it did happen.
Lee Williams.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Are you behind Tres Hombres Lee?
Руки Вверх!
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Zvezda wrote:Are you behind Tres Hombres Lee?
My apologies Zvezda, if you were not already aware 3 Hombres comprises Norm Fenlason, Tad Kelson and myself 8)
Lee Williams.
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Wow! How could I have misse that? Great! Señores I am looking forward to DC3 it's in good hands. And it will have great choice of weapons.
Руки Вверх!
ReHerakhte
Darkling

Post by ReHerakhte »

Zvezda wrote:Wow! How could I have misse that? Great! Señores I am looking forward to DC3 it's in good hands. And it will have great choice of weapons.
Hahaha, trust Zvezda to think about weapons! :D
Still, I can't comment too much, I do have a liking for firearms (I have a few more to add to my DC site as soon as I get my damned desktop computer fixed)

It's whether I win...