List of releases for DC

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Nanostorm

List of releases for DC

Post by Nanostorm »

Hi there, new user and hopefully DC GM soon.

I purchased a lot of old DC books recently, and just wanted to know if there is somewhere to see the full list of releases for this game (including the 2nd edition stuff). Not even the wiki held a list of books.

I played the game a lot in the early 90's, but haven't seen it in over 15 years, I seem to remember it being a blast, and having a great and involved setting though, so I'll try to spin a few tales with my current group of players (all in our 30's now :) ).

Also, what is the status for this new version of the game, I'll probably pick up the book if it's due soon?

Best
Rune
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

Hi there, good to see there are still people out there who we don't already know! Here's a list I compiled of the official Dark Conspiracy material so far. Apologies for any odd formatting but I did a cut & paste to save time :) As for the new version, we are still working on it (after many unavoidable delays :( )

FIRST EDITION by GDW

Dark Conspiracy Rulebook Lester W Smith GDW 2100
New Orleans Eric W Haddock GDW 2101
DarkTek Sourcebook Charles E Gannon GDW 2102
Heart Of Darkness Creede & Sharleen Lambard GDW 2103
Hellsgate Julia Martin GDW 2104
Minion Hunter Boardgame Lester W Smith GDW 2105
Dark Races Volume 1 Various GDW 2106
Among The Dead Mark Galeotti & Loren K Wiseman GDW 2107
Empathic Sourcebook Various GDW 2108
Proto-Dimensions Vol 1 Ted Kocot & Loren K Wiseman GDW 2109
Ice Daemon Creede & Sharleen Lambard GDW 2111
PC Booster Kit Lester W Smith GDW 2112
Nightsider Michael C LaBossiere GDW 2114
Minion Nation Lester W Smith GDW 2115
A Gathering Evil Michael A Stackpole ISBN 1-55878-092-0
Evil Ascending Michael A Stackpole ISBN 1-55878-099-8
Evil Triumphant Michael A Stackpole ISBN 1-55878-120-X

SECOND EDITION by Dynasty Presentations
Players Handbook
Referees Handbook
Referees Screen
Sin City adventure series:
The Shadow Falls Mike Marchi
Of Gates and Gods Marcus Bone
Masks of Darkness A Geoff Skellams
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Nanostorm

Post by Nanostorm »

Thanks for the reply Lee

I'm guessing the Stackpole books are novels, I never saw them back when I actually played the game. Are they any good?

As of the Minion Hunter Boardgame and Minion Nation (that's a add-on for the boardgame right), does it have any value to someone who only wants to run the rpg (in other words are there useful rpg info in there)?

The 2nd edition stuff; Sin City adventure series, are these novels too, or actual scenarios for the rpg?

And does the 2nd edition rulebooks contain stuff that is not found in the full compliment of 1st edition books?

Lots of questions I know, but I'd be very happy if you had time to answer.

Rune

EDIT: I just wanted to know if there are any material online for DC, such as fan-written scenarios, websites or maybe even old con-scenarios from GDW or the like ?
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Hi Rune,
Seeing how I was online to follow up your post about the G11 rifle, I'm jumping in here (sorry Lee!)

I bought the Stackpole novels and enjoyed them although Stackpole's DC world isn't quite the same as the world I imagined from the game books. That doesn't mean they aren't worth reading though, I still got plenty of good ideas from them and I know a few DC fans got some good game material out of them, particularly when it comes to the Dark Lords.

Minion Nation is definately an add-on for Minion Hunter and from what I recall of seeing both (but not actually playing it), there wasn't anything in them to really help out with the RPG stuff.

The Sin City adventures are a set of three linked adventures for the game although you can easily play one without the others (I have book 1 & 3 so if I ever get a group together to play again, they will miss out on book 2!)

Last but not least, if you have all the 1st edition stuff, there's nothing extra in the 2nd edition rulebooks. The only difference is in the use of a D20 system as an expansion on 1st editions D10 system although if you want to get a much more comprehensive D20 version, I'd suggest getting Twilight: 2000 Version 2.2 (Now you probably already know but just in case you don't, the GDW D20 system is not related in ANY way with the DnD D20 OGL system!)
For cheap copies of Twilight: 2000 stuff, you can buy PDFs online at DriveThruRPG http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=23

(Some people can't live without the Twilight 'Infantry Weapons of the World' and 'Heavy Weapons Handbook' for their DC games, hey Zvezda! :P :D )

Cheers,
Kevin
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...
Nanostorm

Post by Nanostorm »

Thanks for those replies Kevin, it's appreciated :)
I bought the Stackpole novels and enjoyed them although Stackpole's DC world isn't quite the same as the world I imagined from the game books. That doesn't mean they aren't worth reading though, I still got plenty of good ideas from them and I know a few DC fans got some good game material out of them, particularly when it comes to the Dark Lord
Yes, I see. I've had much the same experience with novels based on other settings (such as Shadowrun or Earthdawn), they seem to be somewhat askew with my view of the world (changing the setting slightly, or doing stuff that conflicts with the rules of the rpg aso), but they can still be worth a read.
I guess I'll put them on my "buy later" list, as I see them available on ebay or amazon.
Minion Nation is definitely an add-on for Minion Hunter and from what I recall of seeing both (but not actually playing it), there wasn't anything in them to really help out with the RPG stuff.
Thats what I suspected, I'll stay away from those then (can't stand board games either way :))
The Sin City adventures are a set of three linked adventures for the game although you can easily play one without the others (I have book 1 & 3 so if I ever get a group together to play again, they will miss out on book 2!)
These seem like they would be worth trying to get hold of though, but I can't remember seeing them for sale anywhere online, I'm guessing these are among the hardest DC books to get hold of then (and probably not included in the 1st ed license)?
Last but not least, if you have all the 1st edition stuff, there's nothing extra in the 2nd edition rulebooks. The only difference is in the use of a D20 system as an expansion on 1st editions D10 system although if you want to get a much more comprehensive D20 version, I'd suggest getting Twilight: 2000 Version 2.2 (Now you probably already know but just in case you don't, the GDW D20 system is not related in ANY way with the DnD D20 OGL system!)
For cheap copies of Twilight: 2000 stuff, you can buy PDFs online at DriveThruRPG http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=23
From the list Lee kindly posted I seem to have all the releases for 1sr edition now, except for the PC Booster kit (which I'll try to ebay asap), so I guess those 2nd edition books will not have to be acquired (I never liked the size of them anyway, what was up with that "half-size" format).

I do believe own most of the material for Twilight 2000 2nd edition, and I seem to remember that the books you mention were much in use back when we played both games. In addition the equipment from the Merc:2000 book came in handy also. I own the 2nd edition box, but haven't seen the 2.2 version. Should I try to acquire that? Is there many changes?

As for the D20 system in version 2.2, is that the same system that is introduced in the Twilight/Merc 2000 referee screen? (And seems to be the same system added in the "Promo Dimensions" book), or is it different?

Again, lots of questions here I know, but I'm sort of a completist and detail-freak (like many of us I suspect) :)

Thanks
Rune
ReHerakhte
Darkling
Location: Australia, west coast. Hiding in the ceiling, waiting for the aliens...

Post by ReHerakhte »

Hehehe, I know what you mean about being a completist. I own every 1st edition DC item that I'm aware of and the same is true for the Twilight 1st & 2nd Ed. stuff including all the Challenge magazines published by GDW.
I own the 2nd Ed. DC Player's & Referee's manuals in their basic versions (the ones that were sold in the stores, you had to send away for the 'advanced' versions which included all the stuff they left out of the basic versions) and 2 of the 3 Sin City books.

The Sin City adventures were 2nd Ed. items and are good material, actually written by people who were long time DC fans and who were also involved in the DC e-zine Demonground. The e-zine can be found here if you haven't seen it http://demonground.org/
The Sin City books can be hard to locate, I found one on Amazon.com and the other on eBay but over a period of about 2-3 years!

The D20 rules from the Twilight/Merc Referee's screen are not the same as the D20 rules in Twilight 2.2, however the Twilight 2.2 rules are the same as the rules update in the DC Proto-Dimensions sourcebook. The D20 rules in the Twilight/Merc Referee's screen are basically the 2.1 rules and were a sort of trial version that never seemed to be too popular (hence the reason for version 2.2), I know I sure didn't like them!
The Twilight 2.2 'Big Yellow Book' just goes into more detail than the Proto-Dimensions write up, there's a few of us here who use it as the standard rules for our DC games.

Cheers,
Kevin

P.S. I also meant to say that if you can find it (they still sell on eBay from time to time), the 2nd Ed. DC Referee's screen is helpful.

P.P.S. YAY! I finally found DC Sin City Volume 2 today (16:35 hours, 13Jan2009 Australian west coast time), the one written by Marcus Bone.
That completes the set. It's only taken me about four years and now I have a 2-4 week wait for it to be delivered from the USA - I've waited four years and now I'm getting impatient because I'll have to wait another month or so!
It's not whether you win or lose,

It's whether I win...