The Grid System

Any and all discussion about Dark Conspiracy, the RPG of modern conspiracy horror
Zvezda
Darkling

The Grid System

Post by Zvezda »

Finally, after playing a long night involving a lot of vehicular combat and cars fighting helicopters and helicopters chasing boats, I have realized that there is one mechanic in DC which is even worse than the initiative system. So far this has not been a problem since we hardly ever needed to use it. It’s the strange grid system and the different types of speed for creatures, land vehicles, vessels and flying machines.
It took way to much time to calculate the speed for all the different types of transportation only to find out how many meters they make in five seconds. The different types of speed are totally useless. No one needs to know how many 8 m grids a vessel can cover in a turn.
If there will be a new release of DC I think it would be a good idea to standardize the vehicle cards and use one system of Combat Movement for all vehicles. Fortunatly some of the problems occurring while conducting vehicular combat with different types of transportation will be resolved with the abandonment of the initiative and turn system.
And why the hell have all boats a Cruise Speed of X/X in which X equals X?
Morthrai
Site Admin

Post by Morthrai »

This is in fact one of the many things that we have been looking at changing for a new edition. No idea what will replace it yet but be assured, we are aware of it :D
Lee Williams.
"Superstition is the name the ignorant give to their ignorance"
Linden
Darkling

Re: The Grid System

Post by Linden »

Zvezda wrote:It’s the strange grid system and the different types of speed for creatures, land vehicles, vessels and flying machines.
This is exactly why I try and avoid complex combats with different types of vehicles. I think it's down to GDW dropping a bollock as they were prone to doing from time to time. Superficially the revised d20 system was clean and logical, until you dug underneath and found such oddities as language skill being a function of charisma, or 9mm pistols being less dangerous than a punch in the mush from a moderately skilled bar-room brawler.
"There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple."
Zvezda
Darkling

Post by Zvezda »

Morthrai wrote:This is in fact one of the many things that we have been looking at changing for a new edition. No idea what will replace it yet but be assured, we are aware of it :D
I am most delighted to hear that! Do you have any idea what the basic rules say about increasing your cruise speed? You can tripple your combat movement but I have not found any rules regarding the hasty travle form one city to an other.
Zvezda
Darkling

Re: The Grid System

Post by Zvezda »

Linden wrote:This is exactly why I try and avoid complex combats with different types of vehicles. I think it's down to GDW dropping a bollock as they were prone to doing from time to time. Superficially the revised d20 system was clean and logical, until you dug underneath and found such oddities as language skill being a function of charisma, or 9mm pistols being less dangerous than a punch in the mush from a moderately skilled bar-room brawler.
Yep. I guess you can imagine what happend when one of the players discoverd that his PC will do 1d6 Damage for ever kg of weight if he is thrown agains some one...